“Best of Food AND Service”

Cholo's Comidas Mexicana
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Panama City, Panama
“Best of Food AND Service”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

You cannot go wrong when you choose to go to Cholo's Comida Mexicana in Coronado. From the moment we entered we were wrapped in friendliness and thanked for our visit.This let us know we were in the right place. Owen and Mariela are excellent hosts. They have turned their former residence into an inviting, colorful, vibrant restaurant. The wall decorations and the videos played on their television reflect Owen's love of surfing. Their menu is extensive and offers fare not often found in Panama. Our meal began with hot, freshly prepared chips and salsa. You could make a meal just from the chips. I enjoyed the Spinach Quesadilla, while my husband devoured the Pescado Veragua. Once I tried the pescado (fish) I ordered it on our following visit. And we were surprised to get FREE refills of our iced tea.We will return for that perk alone. :) The friendly conversation with both Owen and Mariela was as good as dessert. In the end, the bill was quite reasonable considering the quality of the cuisine and service. We will return again and again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank EllieWharton

Panama City, Panama
“New Location & more to offer ! Great Mexican !”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Owen and Mariela, owners, make you feel right at home. When you walk in the door you are always personally greeted. They are the nicest people and work very hard. They have recently moved to bigger quarters and they have added on. They now have just recently opened (on the same site) a Fish and Chips restaurant with the freshest fish, shrimps, etc. served to perfection. This is a first in the Coronado area !
Owen speaks english and spanish so he is a big hit with expats as well as the Panamanian diners. If you have any questions about the area from surfing sites to where to look for a home, Owen is very knowledgeable.
The fajitas are to die for, and of course, authentic burritos and tacos are popular. There are lots of Vegetarian choices on their menu as well. As soon as you sit down you are given gratis a basket of just-made tortilla chips with the best salsa! They have a full bar and host Margarita nights which are very popular and, of course, very cold beer. I love their refried beans....the best ! You can eat inside or outside. On Sundays they have a huge breakfast crowd with waffles to eggs with biscuit and gravy. They also have opened a small ice cream window with sundaes and ice cream cones to go on this site.
On the weekends, be prepared to wait on Fri. or Sat. nites when the Panamanians come to their weekend homes at the beaches area and they love to frequent Cholo's also so it is crowded.
New location: when coming from Panama City turn right just before the gas station and Cochez onto the road to Las Lajas. Follow this road about 1/4 mile and you cannot miss their signage on the left.
The prices are very reasonable; much more reasonable than many restaurants in the Coronado area. We have been frequenting Cholo's since they opened about five years ago and followed them to three different locations. They will be sure to stay in this new location as they own the buildings. Be sure to eat there when in this area. You won't be sorry !

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank LN
Chame, Panama
“Cholo's - Bad Attitude at High Prices”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Cholo's Comidas Mexicana, now located near Coronado, Panama initially seemed to be just O.K., but an experience there a few month's back has totally turned me off. I had taken two friends there (not because it was especially good, but was the 'only show in town') to treat them for a favor they had done for me, but regardless of how many people in your party you get about one cup of greasy tortilla chips, and about two ounces of mediocre salsa. The food was especially slow coming out of the kitchen, and we had asked for more chips and salsa...we waited fifteen minutes, and asked again...then waited fifteen more minutes and asked a third time... still no response. Finally our food came out, and Owen (the pseudo-friemdly owner) came out with our chips after we had started our entrees, saying "You probably don't want these now" to which we replied, "Yes, we do". Then he went on and on bemoaning how his kitchen staff was short as a way of explanation for the poor service, when a simple "i'm sorry" would have sufficed. he later asked my friends how they enjoyed their meals, and my friend, being a straight shooter politely told him, at which point Owen became defensively aggressive. When I (a regular at the place) went to pay the bill, Owen started to grind on me how inconsiderate and unreasonable my friends were, to which I replied, "No you're wrong, they have every right to complain, and you should have been more gracious". Well, at this point, Owen blew up at me and told me not to come back nor bring any other friends. I, of course, have not returned since, nor will I ever. Owen's arrogant, immature attitude is over the top for a diner who knows how a restaurant should be run and the guest should be treated. It seems he is more interested in impressing his young surfer friends than really caring about good customer service. Fortunately there will be another, much better Mexican establishment in the area in the near future.

• Visited January 2012
6 Thank Panaman2
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great hosts and friendly atmosphere!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

we were recommended Cholo's and it is easy to see why!

Owen the owner, the staff and people in the place are super friendly and you can spend hours in there chatting, sharing travel stories and secret surf spots, tide times etc over beers or huge delicious frozen margaritas!

Top that with being served up amazing tacos and burritos its a winning combination! Food is delicious, great service and recommendations to really open your taste buds!!

MUST GO.....full bellies and happy friendly hearts!! great place!!

• Visited May 2012
Houston, Texas
“Love it...and it has moved!!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We visit Panama often, and it wouldn't be complete without a trip to Cholo's. Everything we've tried on the menu is delicious. We especially like the fish tacos. Owen, the owner, is very friendly; and finds time to talk to us every time we go there. They've just recently moved to a new location. On the east side of Coronado, there's a sign that points north to Las Lajas. Follow that road about 200 meters, and the new restaurant is on your left. Don't miss out on this great restaurant.

• Visited April 2012