“Peaceful relaxed visit, fascinating site”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Matrimandir

Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Auroville
Guernsey, Channel Islands
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 312 helpful votes
“Peaceful relaxed visit, fascinating site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Auroville (Pondicherry) is certainly unique. Planned for a population of 50,000 it currently has 2,000. One of the most spiritual places I have visited in India, certainly has a vibe. It centres around the incredible 'Matrimandir' sphere. A viewing pass is reasonably easy to get. However getting inside the contemplation chambers takes two days and assumes your face fits. Bizarre place I suppose. Peaceful, loved it. I accept the view that its not a 'tourist attraction' per se however they seem very welcoming to day visitors. Visited cafe towards the walk to the site and enjoyed the very best Expresso (indeed two!) ever experienced in India. Beans from Karnatica roasted expertly in Auroville. Chocolate cake also awesome. Stayed 2 hours and should have made it 3 or longer

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Hobart, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Very soothing very spiritual, one can find a sense of peace when you visit it. Naturally beautiful, architecturally splendid yet so simple.
When we reached there we got appointment/admission rights after two days to get inside and meditate. Inside its a life changing moment where it seems you find all the peace of the world.

Kiryat Tivon, Israel
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Amazing place!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

a good place to spend your half day.
Amazing place in Pondicherry area, biggest attraction!!
The entire Auroville is peaceful village where you will just slip in within into a peaceful state
Matri-Mandir is a place beyond words…
The calmness and the pureness inside the meditation room is breathtaking.
You must make a reservation with guest services so be sure to do that in advance upon your arrival

2 Thank zvikairom
Gorakhpur, India
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 882 helpful votes
“AUROVILLE-CITY OF DAWN–A WORLD OF FANTASY-A PLACE OF UNIVERSAL UNITY– A CENTER OF CONCENTRATION AND CREATIVE MEDITATION.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Before coming to this place, I had collected much information, which I wanted to verify and gather newer ones, so that it may be useful to the reader of this review Visitor center's opening timings are 9.30 AM to 1 PM on weekdays except on Sundays ,when it opens from 9 AM to 1 PM only.I reached here at 10 AM,hiring a full day Taxi. There was a parking place for the vehicles. From there we walked on foot, through a very scenic way, surrounded by green shrubs and trees, reached at the information center.Here we were shown a video about the activities of Matrimandir, in a small video show room, then offered free pass to visit it from its outer circle. .AIM AND PURPOSE- It was founded in 1968 by Mirra Richard, a French woman (The Mother) she was staunch follower and later on became spiritual collaborator of great Yogi Aurbindo Ghose . Her (Mother’s) concept was to develop a universal township, where men and woman of all countries, regardless of cast, creeds, and religion may live in peace and harmony. During the inauguration ceremony, held on 28th Feb 1968, soils from 124 countries were put in a lotus shaped pot and mixed to symbolize universal unity. I was informed that it’s a self sufficient, self-sustaining, creative township, where its residents are involved in agriculture, administration, commerse, handicrafts; alternative technology, education, healthcare and other many projects .They have developed some award winning projects also. ‘WALKING TOWARDS MATRIMANDIR-Distance from visitor center to Matrimandir is one Km long .We followed a shaded path and reached near a open ground, saw a big Banyan tree with multiple hanging roots. From this place, free transportation is provided up to the outer visiting platform of Mantrimandir . I and most of people preferred to walk, watching beautiful scenery and flower decorations at places with written phrases on signboards, symbolic of particular human traits. Going ahead we watched many natural pieces of stones put in very unique pattern. There are 12 Gardens in this Park of Unity, named 1-Existence 2-Consciousness 3-Bliss 4-Light 5-Life 6-Power 7-Wealth 8-Utility-9-Progress 10-Youth 11-Harmony 12-Perfection. When we reached at visiting place, we were amazed to see a big globe with bright scaled copper color appearance. It’s a marvel of architecture. This is MATRIMANDIR .It has twelve mediation rooms in form of petals of a lotus .They are named 1-Sincerity 2-Humility 3-Gratitude 4-Perseverance 5-Receptivity 6-Progress 7-Courage 8-Goodness 9-10-Generosity 11- Equality 12-Peace.These 12 Meditation rooms are open at 9.30 AM to 11 AM ,at the same time, every day except on Tuesday.Those who want to concentrate in this meditation center has to obtain prior permission ,by appearing in person between 10-11 Am and 2-3 PM at the visitor center except on Tuesday ,when it closed. For some time, we sat at the visiting platform facing, Matrimandir and tried to capture its majesty and charm in our eyes as well as in our camera. There is a big amphitheater for discourse and various meeting purposes in this Park of Unity. From here we returned back to the Visiting center and entered inside a handicraft shop with many type of wears and other articles displayed for sale, prepared by the residents of this creative township. Also there is a cafeteria and a book shop run by them, adjacent to visiting center. Overall my experience in this township of Auroville was magical and memorable. It still haunts to my mind, as if I have returned from some wonderland.
Satish Tripathi Gorakhpur , sctri48@gmail.com

Visited October 2013
9 Thank Satish T
Brighton, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“This is not a tourist attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

As a tourist, I went there knowing this is not a tourist attraction. People go to Auroville because its ideals inspire. Not for a photograph. So I didn't mind that there was a fifteen to twenty minute walk from the visitor centre to the viewing point. I didn't mind that I wasn't allowed to approach it or go inside. In fact the more I observed my fellow Indian and non-Indian tourists the more I was glad that we were not allowed to go inside it. The endeavour of striving for self-actualising could not have withstood the chatter and peeing-tom eagerness of our lot. Let's leave the inner sanctum of the mandir to the yogi resident at Auroville.
For us, for me, being near and reflecting on why I made the trek there was enough.

3 Thank Mya K