“Unexpected Find”

The Oliver Cromwell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in March
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were visiting March looking for rental properties and needed to stay overnight unexpectedly. This hotel is very good and the staff were amazingly helpful letting me test the softness of the beds as my husband has a bad back & needs a soft mattress to sleep. I was escorted while we checked out 3 different rooms until we found our Goldilocks bed - just right. The room was a bite dated but clean and comfortable and we had a very pleasant stay. Would highly recommend this hotel.
The location is perfect as it is in the middle of the town and close to lots of eating places, pubs etc.

Room Tip: We asked for a room at the back of the hotel as it seemed a bit further from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stopped here on the first night of our cycle ride from London to York as it was a reasonably convenient stopping off point. The hotel itself is comfortable and clean enough and we had a good night's sleep. However, the menu in the restaurant wasn't particularly inspiring, unless you wanted something and chips, so we had to go out for our evening meal.

The service at breakfast was pretty shoddy and even at 8.30 (1/2 hour after starting service) a lot of the hot breakfast had been eaten, the buffet was not being replenished quickly and what was available was pretty average.

Its not likely that I'd be going back to March, but if I did then its unlikely I'd choose this hotel again because of my experience at breakfast. This was the most expensive of 3 hotels we stayed over that weekend, it was the most expensive and the lowest in quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank iamwedgie
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just used our Prosecco Brunch Groupon voucher today at the Cromwell , and I must say we were very impressed. We were seen immediately when we arrived , the table was all set up for us , with a very friendly waitress. The Prosecco was lovely , and nice coffee and orange juice too. Toast was served which again was lovely bread. We had a choice from full englisg or , salmon and scrambled egg, or egg Florentine. I had the salmon and my wife the eggs Florentine , both were very large portions and freshly cooked and it was a really nice meal and experience. , and best of all for £7 each !!! Hope they do this offer again , we will certainly be back !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A real surprise awaited us here. The frontage of the hotel is somewhat off-putting but more than made up for by the excellent comfortable rooms and very friendly staff. When our bathroom flooded, there was no problem as we were promptly moved to another room without any fuss. Fine breakfasts and good quality dinners. Be prepared for giant portions!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Actually staying at Ye Old Griffin Hotel where we could only get standard "pub food" we decided to eat at the Oliver Cromwell hoping the food would be a "cut above". I have to say, I had the best steak I can remember for a long time! Maybe a couple of pounds over priced at £16.95 for a Ribeye, but it was a good cut and perfectly cooked. Staff were friendly and attentive and bar staff welcoming and helpful.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a really enjoyable stay here. Very large room, very clean and reasonably priced. Great breakfast and very friendly staff. We will definitely be returning. Bar staff in particular were excellent

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Saturday 6th of July. I arrived late for a wedding. The excellent lady on reception gave me a quick check in. Car number etc to be completed later. Another member of staff showed me to my room. Very clean, also large for a solo traveller. I had a very quiet air conditioned room. Sunday morning the breakfast was excellent. A waiter prepared my toast & brought it to the table a nice touch. I had to leave after an early breakfst so I was unable to look at the other facilities. Well done to all the staff I met, all friendly & helpful. Colin from Devon

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near March
Elme Hall Hotel
#11 of 36 in Cambridge
Hippodrome Hotel
Hippodrome Hotel
#2 of 9 in March

Been to The Oliver Cromwell Hotel? Share your experiences!