“Excellent night out and excellent value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Duke Of York

The Duke Of York
Reserve with OpenTable
The Duke Of York is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 83 Restaurants in Billericay
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We welcome you to our family run restaurant for brunch lunch and dinner. We have a snug which can seat up to 22 people for that special occasion or just a family Sunday lunch.There is a conservatory area or main dinning area. All have booths which can seat 2 to 6 people. Our food is Prepared from fresh produce daily by chefs who can adapt to your requirements. Come and try us I'm sure you will be happy with the excellent quality of our food wine and beer.
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Excellent night out and excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Quite intrigued by the varying reviews....! We ate at Graham's at The Duke of York last night for my Mum's 82nd birthday - everyone agreed it was excellent food and excellent value. £19.99 for two courses and £22.99 for three, I believe. A couple of our party ordered the the fillet steak (understandably a supplement payable) which was a good size and cooked medium-rare (as we requested) to perfection, not only that the quality and flavour was first class - well done the chefs! My Dad ordered the fish which again was of a good size, served on a plate of creamy vegetable risotto and my brother the chicken thighs stuffed with chorizo - delicious, I know as I tasted them all!! The dishes were different and imaginative, which is a refreshing change from the usual highstreet restaurant chains with their repeater menus and served with a dish of fresh seasonal vegetables.

A further plus point was a comprehensive wine list - we chose a delicious Argentian Malbec and following my husband's general discussion of wine, the waiter went off to find out further information - you don't very often find that.

The decoration and ambience of the restaurant was beautiful - we had a circular table with surrounding curved seating area - very stylish.

All in all the staff were attentive, eager to help and really gave service with a smile. It was nice to meet Graham himself who took all feedback positively and thoroughly deserves to succeed in this venture. We certainly will be returning (already organising the next visit) and would thoroughly recommend trying this restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food at Graham's, Duke of York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

First vist for a family birthday and was impressed. The food was excellent and the price was good for the set weekday menu, visited on a Monday and it was quite packed. Other comments have mentioned that the service was a little lacking but the staff are still finding their feet and are young. Given time that will improve so don't judge them quite yet. The manager came round and checked that we had everything we needed which is good to see. We made some some comments about our experience eating there and he welcomed the feedback. Based on our visit, we would definitely go there again and would recommended that you give it a try.

1 Thank Pete B
basildon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks, but will not be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just by chance was passing and popped in for lunch. No problem about availablity and shown straight to our seats. I found the service pretty good. We both decided on the £12.50 fish and chips. Couldnt tell you what the fish was as the writing on the menu was quite small. To be honest I was shocked and amused at the lunch that was presented before me. A piece of fish approx 5 inches by 2 inches laid on a bed of 5 chips. Yes 5 chips. The last time i had a meal of such minimal proportions was probably in my infant school days. The fish was really tasty just not enough of it. Supplemented by a small side dish of vegetables some bread and 2 diet cokes, the price £28.50. Value ? you decide, I think you can guess my thoughts. On presentation of the bill there was also a comment/ marking card which we filled out and was taken away. As we were making our way out was pounced on by I presume the manager wondering why we had scored it so lowly. To be honest I found this rude as contact details were left on the card and would have expected to be contacted by the details we had left. Although he was very polite it could have been deemed as confrontational.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank keith b
essex
“Well Done Graham my Local is Back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Its had a few teething problems like you expect of any new conversion, & is getting Better every week from Opening.
The Staff are Fabulous especially Jake & Chris on the Bar they are a real pleasure, and keep surprising me with the most amazing Wines they are so passionate about what they do, and i could quite easily go In Alone and feel at home!!
The Food Choice both Lunch & Evening is really Good much better than some other restaurants that are voted Higher on this site. ( with Flavour and seasoned well ) like you would cook Yourself at Home. the chief has Guts and Flare keep up the good work!!
The Service is Great and has a pleasant Atmosphere, it is also Good Value for money not like other restaurants I could Name.
Have just read the review from AJSW which questionable to say the least... I Love Grahams Salad i think it is One of the Best with Nuts & Grapes added well worth the money....
As for the Lemon Sorbet which is free complement? Was it Not...
Same with the Bitter Coffee I don,t think it was the Coffee that was Bitter!!
I don,t know what top London prices they are referring too as they must be talking about Burger King as it compares very well to most good restaurants that I Visit
Enough Said I think

London, United Kingdom
“Joke of York”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

After hearing good and bad reports about the Duke of York, we decided to try..
Girlie night out, at the Duke of York which turned our night into a very sour one.
Nice lay out, we had a booth for the 3 of us, just enough room around the table. We proceeded to order our food, - one had Scallops, I had Trio of Quail and one had the house salad. The trio of Quail was barly warm and very small portions for the price of around £8. The house salad was actually laughable, a bowl of Cos salad leafs, crutons and some bacon lardons dropped on the top - at £6.50 this was a joke. Our plates cleared and a small lemon sorbet appeared in front of us, it was so frozen we couldn't even get our spoons into it and had to wait for it to thaw.
The wine we had ordered was kept in an ice bucket out of our sight on another table and we had to keep asking for our wine and the waiter seem put out that we were asking for it.....
Our mains arrived and I was now in shock - I had ordered the John Dory at around £24 and it consisted of 3 small fillets no longer than my fingers - the plate was trying to replicate "al a carte" but it wasnt working - the waiter then approached us and asked if everthing was ok, i said that for the price i was paying I would have expected a little more fish on my plate, to which i was greeted with " erh erh well it is an expensive fish" Hilarious!! - I have eaten in a few top London restaurants, but have Never been subjected to stupid comments like that from a waiter. If I am paying for something then I expect something on my plate however much it cost! We decided to avoid desert and just go in for Coffees - my two friends had asked for Irish Coffees, a couple of mouthfuls into this, they said the coffee was so bitter they could not drink them and ask for them to be taken away, and ordered a liquor. At the end of night the bill came up and they still charged for the coffees, which were sent back - I said to our waiter can you please remove these from the bill to which he replied NO, i have checked with the Manager and he said no he will not be taking them off the bill. By now i am seeing Red and just want to get out of this place - My friend said to bring over the manager, but he never showed his face - COWARD basically - Fully disgusted with our visit to this restaurant, both the service and the food, you can not charge London prices and do not produce the goods! Needless to say, we wont be going back to that place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles