“Overload of mangetout”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #54 of 83 Restaurants in Billericay
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Customer service & quality food leads the way in the fabulously stylish venue that continues to amaze customers both old and new alike. The White Horse has won a host of industry accolades and continues to push boundaries in pursuit of the perfect British pub.
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Overload of mangetout”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went Wednesday evening and we were shown to a table quickly by a smiling friendly young lady. It didn't look busy. She took a drink order straight away and it arrived quickly. The waitress took our food order after a group who had arrived after us, which is a bit irritrating. But she was friendly and the food arrived fairly quickly.

Menu choice the fish and chips and my partner the fish cakes, we also ordred an extra portion of vegaetables.

My fish was extremely large and had a crispy light batter, it was fresh and tasty. It came with salad and not the pea puree stated in the menu. My partners Fishcakes were fine and came with a portion of mangetout and small salad.

The extra vegetable portion consisted of a large portion of mangetout, couple of carrot pieces and some green beans. Considering the main course was served with mangetout we did expect other vegetables - peas, cauli or even broccoli would have been nice. But another large portion of mangetout was was overload. It shows a lack of imagination and thought by the chef to dish up the same veg as with the main course. A bit dissappointing.

We won't be rushing back !!

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant twice now. Both times I cannot fault the food and service. Food is very nice pub food. This restaurant has recently been refurbished and I really like it. Large tables, plenty of room, comfortable dining chairs. Our waiter last night was Keith - very attentive and ensured we had a lovely celebratory meal.

Billericay, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointment!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Such a shame. My first review of the White Horse was outstanding. We had been there just before Christmas and being vegan I find going out for meals incredibly difficult. As my first review said, it was fantastic first time around. There was a vegan dish on the menu. The manager/owner was extremely attentive and even upset that he couldn't offer a vegan dessert, so much so, he gave us some vouchers to use on a return visit. We went back on the 10th February for another family occassion to find the menu had completely changed that previous Wednesday. There was no vegan option and all the vegetarian options contained dairy. I had to ask them to make me a plain pasta with tomato sauce. What is more the children's menu had no vegetarian options at all. They had removed the pizza they had previously. I did speak to the person in charge that day. She was very nice and explained that it was a new menu and still in it's infancy. She said they could have done a caesar salad for my son. I don't know many six year olds that would eat that to be honest. It was a real disappointment. Times are changing and modern restaurants should reflect this. Real shame!

• Visited February 2013
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice place, shocking service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the email I sent to the White Horse after our meal on Saturday - am still waiting for a response

We have just returned from a meal at your restaurant tonight and will start with the plus point – the food was faultless

The minus points make up a much longer list

1. When we arrived you couldn’t find our booking which set the tone for the whole evening

2. Upon finding it you directed us to a table that was in what can only be described a walkway between the two parts of the restaurant – and probably illegal from a safety point of view. We immediately said we were not prepared to sit there and were moved to a table backing onto a wall. It should be noted that the table were directed to was too far out from the wall behind which meant that when a large party of people turned up soon after us, that a couple of them walked around the back of our wives to get to their seats, thereby massively invading their personal body space. Move the table nearer to the walls!!!

3. We were not given a wine or drinks list upon sitting down so we were left guessing as to what drinks you serve – as I don’t drink this wasn’t a problem to me as I always order sparkling water but it meant my wife and our friends had to wait for quite a while before being able to enjoy a glass of Pinot Grigio (more on this subject later).

4. When I ordered the water for myself I advised that I like a tall glass with loads of ice (saves me having to constantly refill it) – by tall glass I meant a glass that one might drink a gin and tonic, by way of an example.

I did not expect, but received, a pint glass, as did our female companion – not very dignified!!!

5. When the bottle of wine was, after about ten minutes, finally brought over the waitress simply put in on the table and walked off

– rather than have my, increasingly annoyed wife, complain I poured her and our male companion a glass each, but only after having to unscrew the lid myself

6. When the starters arrived the waiting staff didn’t seem to know that they were for us and walked past us twice before realising that they had our food – this was possibly due to us having to advise them of this fact as they were walking backwards and forwards

7. Our female companion ordered shelled prawns; no finger bowl was forthcoming and we had to ask THREE times for one to be brought

– by the time it was given to us the prawns had been long finished and our companion had had to resort to taking napkins off an adjoining table on order to clean her hands

8. My wife asked for a glass of tap water at the same time as ordering her wine – this eventually arrived after the third time of asking

9. Point 6 was repeated for the main course and the waiters tried to give our food to a table that had just sat down and had not even had their starters – when they eventually brought the food to us we sent the two sea bass dishes away (wrong potatoes) only for them to be brought straight back by a different waiter who triumphed in presenting the dishes to the right table. They were immediately sent back which now meant that two of us had no choice but to start our main courses whilst the other two had to wait.

10. I had fish and chips, I had to ask for vinegar (one shouldn’t have to ask) and the bottle that it came in wouldn’t look out of place in a chip shop. Not a major complaint but this was now adding insult to injury. May I suggest that you serve up condiments in a manner that is in keeping with your lovely décor and surroundings.

11. Point 6 repeated for the dessert course – by now I noticed that your table allocation amongst your waiting staff was very haphazard and that there seemed to be no continuity to who was serving us. For some reason your waiting staff repeatedly had difficulty locating us which became very frustrating as the evening wore on.

12. The waiter who brought me coffee repeated points 6,9 and 11 and I actually had to call out to him to get his attention and advise him that the coffee he was walking around with was mine. When he did put it down he did it in such a way that half the saucer was on the place mat and half wasn’t – a simple case of just not paying attention. Had I not been anticipating his tardiness I would have probably been treated to a lap full of coffee

The four of us were out ‘celebrating’ our respective wedding anniversaries and it would be fair to say that we would have got better service in the new Domino’s Take Away in Billericay High Street.

We decided that we not going to leave a tip (something I have only ever done once before – EVER!!!) and I made up my mind that I was going to highlight the points above upon leaving. However, the person that we assumed to be the maître d’ was nowhere to be seen and the man/youth standing by the exit was yet someone else who we had not seen before.

We decided to quit whilst we were behind!!!

Your staff are pleasant but largely clueless – when I worked as a waiter (in my student days) I found that it wasn’t exactly rocket science and I believe a lot of tonight’s shortcomings can be addressed by some proper training – my wife suggested that the age of the waiting staff may have been a factor but they were no younger than the staff that work in Ask, Prezzos (or any of the other eateries in Billericay) and they seem to manage the fundamentals quite well

I will be interested to hear your response –

The food was very good though so top marks there!!!

3 Thank Martin W
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Good food - service could be better.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have been here a few times. Visited last night and there were 11 of us. I entered bar with my daughter to wait for the other members of our party to arrive. One of the bar staff was taking a large food order. There was one other member of staff behind the bar serving someone then there was one other person waiting and then myself. The man serving finished with the person he was serving then went around and started speaking to two other customers. He then came back behind the bar and served the other person waiting. I expected him then to serve me but he did not even acknowledge my presence and again walked out from behind the bar to continue speaking to the other customers. I found this really rude and really bad customer service. I went into the restaurant to complain and one of the staff there came and served me.

The food was really very nice although there was a problem with our order which had been taken wrong. Then some drinks arrived which were not ours. Side orders for the steak meals came much later than the meal. Then when the bill came we had been charged for two additional main meals and two additional desserts. The waiter we had was really nice and was doing his best but I feel service really let the evening down.

• Visited February 2013