“Good choice for Mothers' Day”
Review of The Orb - CLOSED

The Orb
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Orb came close to a 4-star rating, but fell short due to a lack of attention to detail with its service.

We had booked a late Mothers' Day lunch and on arrival received a nice, friendly welcome.

The waiting staff were young, friendly, enthusiastic and well presented and with some additional training and generally improved organisation in the dining room our experience would have been much better. Things started to go awry when our drinks order wasn't submitted and had to be repeated (although we later received a nice apology). From then on service to our table seemed rather muddled and haphazard with no one person taking responsibility for us.

The food was good. Various starters of leek and potato soup, roast brie and seafood were all well received as were the mains of roast beef, lamb and pork. Unusually, we had to ask for desserts - the chocolate sundae was not the chocolate and cherry brownie ordered and the base of the sticky toffee pudding was almost impossible to cut through. By this stage the various delays meant we had been in the restaurant for a considerable time so we ate our desserts, paid the bill and left without comment.

Because The Orb is so convenient for us, we agreed that we would return to give the place another try in the hope that the organisation and service will have improved.

1  Thank Britabroad22

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I brought my wife and our twins here for Mothers Day lunch as we'd been meaning to try the place and, to be honest, the only place in the Billericay/Stock area that had availability on the Sunday!
The service was friendly and drinks were served quickly. My family ordered the roast beef for their main course and I had the pork. The meat was cooked fine for both dishes but sadly, the Yorkshire puddings were soggy and the potatoes overcooked and a little burnt. Although the veg was crisp and well cooked. We had two deserts and no coffee. The bill with a bottle of red wine priced at £18.50 was, I thought, quite expensive at £135 including a tip.

3  Thank terryrothery
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I dined here with his parents as a thank you for all they had done for us. On arrival we where taken to our table, there is two steps down, no good for wheelchair users or people walking difficulties ask for the table near the bar.

All our meals were delicious and well cooked, I highly recommend the beef, The staff got our drink order wrong twice, but the situations were rectified immediately with apologises.

I would recommend this place for a meal.

1  Thank girliegirl123
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went here for lunch at the end of January on a Saturday using a Groupon voucher. The service was very good and attentive, lovely decor and fantastic ambience. However, after reading some of the reviews on here we were rather disappointed with the food. My partner's salt beef and horseradish sauce for starters were bland and my mussels were overcooked. For mains we had the halibut and roast lamb. Both of these were overcooked - I expected my lamb to be at least a little pink. Much as I don't mind al dente vegetables what we had were almost raw. The wine we had was excellent and good value for money and the waiter kindly wrote down what it was for us. So big thumbs up for service, thumbs down for quality of the food.

1  Thank Tracey3006
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Highly recommended, great food with an interesting twist, fantastic service and a great atmosphere. I take my business clients here for lunches and it never lets me down. Will continue to use The Orb and may even venture back one evening with family.