“Great Thai”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We regularly come here food is excellent and staff very friendly always a good service.
Recommend the massaman curry and the pad Thai!

There are newer reviews for Thai House

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Very friendly staff.
Great for a quick lunch, their £5 menu is great value for money.
Always good quality and pretty bit portions.
Use this quite a lot when have visitors who want to escape the office for an hour and have something different.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have been to this Thai restaurant on a few occasions and have always found the food to be very good and the staff most helpful, also not bad
pricewise.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Not the worst but supprised i was in a group of 20 and we was the only table in there food was ok service ok nothing special about it but all just ok

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Let me start by saying, I've been to this restaurant at least 10 times.. And i've never been disappointed with either the food or service... But that's where the positive feedback ends.

It was a spontaneous choice, to pop in on a Sunday evening, myself and the girlfriend.

Firstly the waiters had a sweaty presence, I dont mean a slight glow from a good days hard work, I mean a full on Stink, something akin to having just run a half marathon, making myself and the other half gag a little each time he came to our table.

My Partner is a vegetarian, and we saw Tofu in the set menu, good start I thought, but no sign of Tofu in the main menu, when i politely enquired I was informed that it was only available in the set menu. I assume any decent restaurant would have said "its only in the set menu sir, but of course we can do this as a main" but not in the Thai House, and the manager was prepared to argue about it, so we backed down. Chose a starter indicated as "a selection of mixed vegetable starters", I then chose a beef with chilli leaves/basil main, my partner choosing the same but vegetable based.

Starter arrived and it was essentially a bowl of random vegetables in tempora batter.. Imagine staring at a mountain of fried vegetables, not even interesting vegetables, nope we are talking cauliflower and Broccoli, with a couple of very dull vegetable pancakes chucked in for good effect.. I queried this at the end of the evening, again they argued that it was as described on the menu.. to my mind an accurate description would have been " a bowl of deep fried vegetables ", but the menu stated "a selection of mixed vegetable starters", no mention of tempora or batter or any awareness of how much fried crap involved.. Again they wouldnt back down, which was at least the third time that evening I had been left with a nasty taste in mouth.

But I digress, the mains arrived, a reasonable Pad Thai, but then this is the expected staple of any good Thai restaurant. Our Mains themselves were cool, lacking in flavour whilst rather vaguely attempting to compensate with the levels of salt.. I like Salt, its well known, but even I was sucking my own face in slightly trying to eat this.. My Girlfriends vegetable equivalent was the same, lacking any imagination. So overall its not that I didn't enjoy it, I loathed the whole experience.. All this from a restaurant that's been touted over the years as one of the best in Essex... all this wrecked in one poor experience.. The restaurant itself is looking tired, the staff cheesy and whiffy and the nature argumentative, there is no customer focus, poor quality food etc etc.. I for one will not be returning... And yes I recognise there is a lack of decent quality Thai restaurants in the South Essex Area but this is no excuse... a complete waste of £30.00.

Thai House, you were one of the best, you've slipped by 90%, look at your business model, your service quality, your food quality!!...everything!! I for one will never be returning.

PS.. There were only two couples eating in the restaurant that evening and they still managed to mix our bills up!

3  Thank Alan K