“Disappointing after all this time.”
Review of Thai House

Thai House
Ranked #64 of 85 Restaurants in Billericay
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Let me start by saying, I've been to this restaurant at least 10 times.. And i've never been disappointed with either the food or service... But that's where the positive feedback ends.

It was a spontaneous choice, to pop in on a Sunday evening, myself and the girlfriend.

Firstly the waiters had a sweaty presence, I dont mean a slight glow from a good days hard work, I mean a full on Stink, something akin to having just run a half marathon, making myself and the other half gag a little each time he came to our table.

My Partner is a vegetarian, and we saw Tofu in the set menu, good start I thought, but no sign of Tofu in the main menu, when i politely enquired I was informed that it was only available in the set menu. I assume any decent restaurant would have said "its only in the set menu sir, but of course we can do this as a main" but not in the Thai House, and the manager was prepared to argue about it, so we backed down. Chose a starter indicated as "a selection of mixed vegetable starters", I then chose a beef with chilli leaves/basil main, my partner choosing the same but vegetable based.

Starter arrived and it was essentially a bowl of random vegetables in tempora batter.. Imagine staring at a mountain of fried vegetables, not even interesting vegetables, nope we are talking cauliflower and Broccoli, with a couple of very dull vegetable pancakes chucked in for good effect.. I queried this at the end of the evening, again they argued that it was as described on the menu.. to my mind an accurate description would have been " a bowl of deep fried vegetables ", but the menu stated "a selection of mixed vegetable starters", no mention of tempora or batter or any awareness of how much fried crap involved.. Again they wouldnt back down, which was at least the third time that evening I had been left with a nasty taste in mouth.

But I digress, the mains arrived, a reasonable Pad Thai, but then this is the expected staple of any good Thai restaurant. Our Mains themselves were cool, lacking in flavour whilst rather vaguely attempting to compensate with the levels of salt.. I like Salt, its well known, but even I was sucking my own face in slightly trying to eat this.. My Girlfriends vegetable equivalent was the same, lacking any imagination. So overall its not that I didn't enjoy it, I loathed the whole experience.. All this from a restaurant that's been touted over the years as one of the best in Essex... all this wrecked in one poor experience.. The restaurant itself is looking tired, the staff cheesy and whiffy and the nature argumentative, there is no customer focus, poor quality food etc etc.. I for one will not be returning... And yes I recognise there is a lack of decent quality Thai restaurants in the South Essex Area but this is no excuse... a complete waste of £30.00.

Thai House, you were one of the best, you've slipped by 90%, look at your business model, your service quality, your food quality!!...everything!! I for one will never be returning.

PS.. There were only two couples eating in the restaurant that evening and they still managed to mix our bills up!

3  Thank Alan K

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went along in a group of 3 couples and enjoyed a good meal. The service was attentive, and we chose set meal B - not bad value at £19/head.

A nice tray of Thai Starters, followed by a good selection of main dishes with rice and noodles, and concluding with banana fritter and ice cream.

We had a good night at Thai House, and will return in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Under normal circumstances, I am incredibly lenient when it comes to reviews. This is one of the few exceptions, which is never a good sign.
Having arrived at the restaurant, we were hastily shown to our seats at 19:45. As I type this, it is 21:25. Still no sign of food, and the drinks were only delivered 20 minutes prior.
Now, on the topic of drinks. I am a member of a reasonably large party, here to celebrate the birthday of a friend. There are underage members as well as those who are over the legal drinking age, and everyone is eating tonight. Under not-so-recently passed laws, persons between 16 and 17 are allowed to order beer, cider, or a glass of wine. The staff, for whatever reason, seem to have neglected to learn such rules.

As we're on the topic of drink, let's talk about water. The majority of our group were not permitted glasses for their jugs of water, as they were required elsewhere within the restaurant. Does that seem like a good business plan to you? Supplying less glasses than prospective customers? Evidently the management staff do.

There is a clear language barrier between the group and the sparsity which is the waiting staff. Orders, requests, and questions need to be repeated many times before anything sinks in. Not so impressive when all that's being said is 'Number 43, please.'

Onto the plus sides: the quality of food. Whether it be the figurative age that we've had to wait bolstering my good impression of the food, I'll never know, but it does taste good.

In conclusion:
The staff are inattentive, the law is overlooked, the service is shoddy, and the wait for said service is farcical. The preparations made for a relatively large party such as ours are, frankly, laughable, and this is not the sort of environment which is conducive to happy customers.

The food is this place's saving grace, but by this point I'd be more than happy to eat elsewhere.

Yours most disgruntled.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good range of Thai cuisine - Pleasant staff - though when I have been their hasn't been many customers and thus not much atmosphere

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Service second to none, food is flavoursome, plentiful and rish in colour and taste.. its missed by many who walk past the little door and stairs but if you want to acend to heaven get up those stairs its a MUST!!!