“Bike Trip”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sale
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Bike Trip”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Biking Barnsley to Blackpool via Manchester we left the TPT and stayed at the Lennox Lea. First impressions of the hotel are very good bearing in mind the cost of the accommodation. Friendly welcome allowing us to store our bikes in the secure garage.
Large bedroom offering a double and a single bed, flat screen TV etc. We stayed on the top floor which may be the reason that the shower was so low - at best it was only 4 foot high from the base of the bath.
Location is very good if you fancy a short 5 minute walk into the bars/restaurants etc in Sale or to walk/bike down the canal.
Excellent breakfast with various options and staff filled our water bottles with chilled water as we started the next leg of our tour.

Room Tip: Choose one with a full height shower
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank andrew h
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hi Bikers, Thanks for your great review. Pleased that you made it to Blackpool with all that neat vodka in your water bottle! Good job you had your stabilisers on!
We get lots of cyclists on the Trans Penine Trail and they are always lovely people and very welcome. 'Calling all bikers, get on yer bike and break your journey at the Lennox Lea soon!
All the best Basil & Sybil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night when watching an olympics football match at Old Trafford. Comfortable and clean rooms; well- cooked and well-assorted breakfast. the staff are friendly, helpful and examples of wit are to be found in the form of signs and posters here and there. At weekends you can get a take-away from nearby Sale centre and this can be eaten in the bar with cutlery and plates provided by the hotel.
Ideal location close to the metro at Sale which gives easy access to the Old Traffords (football and cricket) and central Manchester and salford Quays.
We'll be back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Good morning, Many thanks for your great review. We love your comments.
All the best from the 'Carry On' team
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed at the Lennox Lea in July and will be back there again soon. Staff where very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The room was large, although dated, but very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very filling, it certainly set us up for the day. If you are looking for good old fashioned British hospitality then you have found what you are looking for at the Lennox Lea.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia G
muckle1, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Hi Sylvia,
Many thanks for your lovely review. We really appreciate it.
From all of us at the Lennox Lea our very best regards.
Beckenham
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I was booked into the Hilton at Manchester airport but was only working round the corner from this hotel and my work colleague recommended staying here. I'm not sure how my room (27) compared to others but let me give you a taste of England in the 70's for those who are visitors or not old enough - it's brilliant!
The bathroom was large with the avocado suite we all favoured back then, one step up from carpet there was the obligatory patterned lino on the floor and in terms of somewhere to put toiletries it was minimal by default, not design - the 20 x 6 inch glass shelf above the sink which means it's either your hairbrush, toothpaste or make-up but not all of them and a little bar of soap; none of this shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. The shower was more of a lazy boy shower than a power shower so I was in there the best part of 15 mins trying to catch the sprinkles.
My wardrobe was a cupboard with two glass windows and net curtain on the inside of them. Bed was large with a dark damask eiderdown, although mattress had obviously seen some action, it was a good night's rest. As the dresser had no chair, I had to do some work so it was a laptop on my lap on edge of bed like I used to do my homework years ago (but no laptop then of course!). It had a phone which was one of those beige/brown ones we all had which was the next step up from the finger dial phones. The dated wallpaper and flowered curtains completed the look.
Although it was a great experience, I've obviously become snobbish and got used to trendy and minimalistic over the years so I am due to stay here again next week and am pleased to say my colleague says it's an exec room so I'm hopeful I won't have to be banished up 3 flights to the George and Mildrid tower room again.
Now you cannot pay for the kind of hospitality, happiness and homeliness you get here, and you certainly don't get it down south. I come down in the morning to hear someone singing at the top of their voice in reception and children chatting. I'm welcomed at breakfast by a lovely lady who pretty much told me to fill my boots and after doing so, I leave my bag to pick up later as they arrange a set fare taxi to the airport. Manuel (although he shaved his tash off since Fawlty Towers) was there when I got back in the evening to carry my bag to the waiting taxi................there taxi driver was even more of a character.
Would I stay here again when visiting family locally.........probably but I'd try and figure out which is the best room in the hotel as I'm sure their all different and I'd prefer a bed that hadn't seen more action than Rod Stewarts mattress. Would I recommend it........absolutely! Lovely family run hotel, clean, hospitable, got character and really you'd be hard pressed to find hotels like this still surviving.........so that tells you something!
It has Bistro bar, restaurant, room service at no cost, WI FI in rooms, at no cost, recommendations for restaurants and pubs.............I mean they just think of everything!

Room Tip: I don't know, when I figure it out myself, I'll let you know!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LindaBeckenham
, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Oh "Ells Bells" Linda we love your review so much it really made us laugh. Retro is the way forward and anyway Jason King loved it when he stayed last week! The world was so much better in the 20th century and we're staying there!
p.s. You're in a Superior next week, you may be a little disappointed!
All the best Syd & Hattie
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed at Lennox Lea with my 11 year old son for two nights. Staff were delightful, friendly and helpful and made our stay very pleasant. The breakfasts were very tasty and filling! The room was very comfortable and homely. We'd definatly stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Hi, Really pleased you had a nice stay with us. Thanks for your review.
All the best Mike & Joanna
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Like many others stayed here for the Stone Roses Gig at Heaton Park. The staff are not short of a smile or two, everyone was very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The bedroom was clean, a lovely size, big bathroom and very comfortable bed. Breakfast, well what can we say, it was beautiful and so much of it. The location is perfect for walking into Sale town or catching the metro, we got the night bus back from Manchester and that stoped just down the road too. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Superier Room was great
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Hi Elaine, Thanks for your great review and comment about the superior room. It was really nice meeting you.
All the best Mike & Joanna
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2012

stayed here last weekend as we were over from Dublin for the Stone Roses gig . I would just like to thank all the staff on their friendly relaxed but professional service . The hotel was well situated less than 5 minutes walk from Sale high street with good transport links to Manchester city centre and £17 in a taxi ride from the airport.
The room was spacious with a comfortable bed and was very clean . The en suite was huge which leads me on to my only gripe , with such a large bathroom I couldn't understand why it didn't have a walk in shower . Instead it had a bath with a shower attachment and a ceiling height of about 5"6 which made showering tricky. That aside breakfast was very good and again delivered with a smile . So thanks again to all the staff who topped off a great weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at The Lennox Lea Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Hi James, Thanks for your lovely review. Really pleased you enjoyed your weekend with us and thanks for your informative comments. I can't believe you didn't inform us of your dimensions when you booked the room! ha ha. The shower in that room is next on the list.
All the best Mike & Joanna@faultyshowers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sale
Belmore Hotel
#7 of 8 in Sale
Didsbury
Eleven Didsbury Park
Eleven Didsbury Park
#9 of 118 in Manchester
Didsbury House
#3 of 118 in Manchester

Been to The Lennox Lea Hotel? Share your experiences!