“Great place to stay for a weekend in Manchester”

The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sale
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay for a weekend in Manchester”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this hotel as it was conveniently located for Old Trafford. Just a 10-15min walk to the metrolink & old Trafford is a short journey away. Rooms were great for the price we paid & I had no complaints. Breakfast was good too. We also ate in the restaurant for our evening meal & the food was very good quality for the price we paid.

I would definitely stay there again, the staff were also very friendly & couldn't be more helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We primarily booked this hotel for several nights as it accepted dogs.
The room was large.
Fantastic Sony TV in the room.
Inclusive secure car parking.
Beautiful gardens and grounds - perfect for walking the dog around.
The breakfast was marvellous - well cooked, loads of toast, good orange juice and branded breakfast cereals.
Good wireless internet reception and speed.
We ate in the restaurant on two nights - the set meal is fantastic value and good quality.
We adored the female service staff, nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel was very clean.
Our room was in the Annexe to the main house - some people have been less than complimentary. Yes, the decor is dated and the walls are on the thin side; but that is reflected in the prices.
Excellent location for the airport or the Manchester Ring Road (M60).
Seems to be popular with people visiting Old Trafford as well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house seem to be the best quality. If internet is important to you, make sure...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Came for the restaurant, so can't really speak about the rooms. Some areas downstairs in the public spaces are a little tired and in need of a make over. The bar area was good, if a little small considering the number of people being catered for. Staff were warm and friendly. Dining area was old fashioned charm with many pictures of Manchester and surrounding area. Tables were immaculate. Decor a little tired in places.
The serving staff were wonderful, clearly a a good team here and well motivated. BUT they didn't know which items were on, or off, the menu. Bad enough to find they are off as you order, but bad form to come back from the kitchen and say they haven't any left. This happened twice to one diner, who eventually had to put up with potatoes instead of vegetables. Two of the meals were cool when delivered to the table.
I think the problem lies in the kitchen and in communication.
Live music, sort of smooth Jazz 1950s style.
With so much competition out there they need to raise their game!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We attended a 90th Birthday here on Saturday and would like to say it was lovely. The staff were amazing, very attentive and helpful. The food was great and pianist really made the atmosphere feel like an elegant birthday party, which it was. Highly recommend this venue for family gatherings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
High Wycombe
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute, when I checked in at almost nine o'clock at night my main aim was the restaurant. The best part of my stay by far, a really good meal, served without too much fuss and in a timely manner.

I went to my room to complete my work for the day, utilising the advertised free wi-fi, first disappointment, almost non existent connection, and certainly unusable. I am not really one to feel the cold, and would normally be looking to open a window, but the room was more than chilly, without any central heating working, the small electric radiator seemed a useful addition, but this also proved inadequate. The horror story continued when I could only get the shower to run like warm, and even worse when I decided to enter this cubicle and get a wash, once into full flow, it suddenly became freezing, I was two hours before I stopped shivering.

When I highlighted the shortcomings to the landlady, she apologised and offered me a 10% discount, which I countered with the statement that I should have been compensated for the endurance.

Never again!

Room Tip: Avoid altogether if you are looking for a room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were met by quite a grand entrance, roaring fire with wing chairs next to it. We were then led to our room down a chilly modern corridor. The room was boiling - so we had to open all the windows and turn off the radiators. it was a large room, the furniture was quite faded, but the bed was very comfortable. It was clean and great value for the price. Parking was ample. Breakfast was very nice, good selection of items. Overall, comfy stay, good value for money but not as grand as I was expecting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have just had a two night stay here and would definitely stay again if I am in the area. I have read other reviews, and yes it could do with a bit of refurbishment, but they are charging very reasonable rates (presumably to attract business), and as a family owned business are probably struggling to keep the business going in a very competitive market.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. The staff and owners, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast could do with some improvement as I like soft fried eggs, and it was a bit slow in coming. But we invited family to visit for a meal in the restaurant on Saturday evening and chose from the set menu which was very reasonably priced. The menu was quite varied and the food very good. There was a very nice atmosphere with music and song in the background and we all enjoyed the evening very much.

The clincher for me is that everyone was very dog friendly. I have a young and boisterous rottweiler, but they all took her in their stride and were very accommodating and helpful.

It was much, much nicer than a Travelodge, or equivalent, and much, much better value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are probably better as we had no problems with sounds from other guests
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sale
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Altrincham Central

Been to The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!