“Not a pleasant experience - dirty smelly room.”

The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sale
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked to stay at this hotel with 2 other couples. We booked a family room as we had our daughter with us. Upon entering our room it smelt of dogs and there were dog hairs all over the carpet. I opened the window and left it for a couple of hours. When we got back and were in the room with the door closed the smell was awful. I told reception and they said that the smell couldn't be from the room as a dog had not been in that room for a long time. When I mentioned the dog hair he just shrugged his shoulders. I asked for another room but none were available. We booked in premier inn and upon leaving we're told we would still have to pay or the room. I said I was willing to move to a room that hadn't had pets in and we werent advised it was a pet room at the time of booking. After much debate and confrontational attitude and phone calls to the manager we were told we wouldn't be charged. No apology from the hotel for all the incovienience we ended up having to drive and check in to another hotel, missed our evening meal reservation and we separated fom the rest of our group. Never again. Premier inn was £20 more expensive, but the staff were polite and more than anything the room was fresh and clean!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Marie M
There are newer reviews for The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this lovely hotel in in July and again in August 2012 both times for just one night. Lovely grounds and a great view from the dining room. Only took the evening meal once and it was excellent value for money. High quality ingredients beautifully presented and stylish unobtrusive service. Large pleasant rooms with comfortable beds and lovely views into the large and well tended gardens. Friendly ,helpful and polite staff added to a tranquil calm atmosphere that made it an absolute pleasure to stay. Exceptional value for money and a definate for next time I visit the area. There are small corners which would benefit from a spot of renovation but it is spotlessly clean throughout and I have many times paid twice the price for hotels not fit to stand in its shadow.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are large enough for a round of golf!
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Normanhurst old building is quite an interesting building but needs a little update, the original features show it must have been quite a grand house in its time.
Staff courteous and drinks not too expensive. Accommodation was in an annex at the rear of the hotel, rooms functional, but decor needs some refurbishment. Shower quite good. Rooms need soundproofing could hear couple in next room talking and what they were saying! Hope I wasn't snoring!
Toilet handle needed a little maintenance, at one stage I thought I was operating a Cider Press!
Gardens charming and breakfast was tasty and of good quality.
Despite needing some refurbishment I actually quite enjoyed my stay.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked this hotel for myself and my children and two dogs for 2 nights as we were emigrating and decided to have a relaxing few days before leaving the country......NOT!!!

I called the hotel and spoke with the receptionist asking her do I pay when I arrive or can I pay over the phone...she said I could pay over the phone and she took my card details..to which she told me your room is now booked...so one would assume that the room is then paid for...and was told that the rate was £100 for the 2 nights.

We arrived and checked in no probem...we were put in the annexe!!!!...what a nightmare it looked and smelt like an old peoples home and a smell of stale cigarettes in the corridors.

On entring the room at first it looked ok...but on looking round...it was not good....the hairdrier must have been from the seventies along with some of the furnishings....the bathroom you had to be Harry Houdini to manouver yourself to the toilet seat...there were nasty stains on the carpets...one of my children were given a z bed which just squeaked at every move and sagged so we all had to sleep in a double bed...the room has no aircon or fans so I had to ask for one as it was stifling.
The shower button was broken so you had to push your finger right in a hole to switch it on...and every move from next door could be heard....and people walking by the room all through the nght.
We thought we would have a nice lie in but was woken by two women throwing bottles into the recycling bins at 7 in the morning.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was awful my son had sausage and mash it had raw onions on the top and the gravy just tasted of fat...and lumps in the mash...I had beef stroganoff...enough to feed a 5 year old...the meat was tough and the sauce sickening.

I went to pay my food bill as we were departing at 3 the following morning....to which I was told my food and drinks bill was £70 and my room bill was £180 I explained that I had paid over the phone...to which I was laughed at and told no we just took your card details...you pay on departure...I was gobsmacked all my card details were wrote in a book...needless to say I refused to pay for the room as I was told it was booked.

I was told 4 times by a snotty member of staff to keep my voice down yet the staff were shouting at me also...and at one point I was surrounded by 10 members of staff!!!!...I was laughed at ridiculed and made to feel like a fraudster...and threatened with the police...who eventually came.
I was told I was stupid had no sense and logic th list goes on. I have worked in travel fo 22 years and have stayed in numerous hotels and have never been treated like this I advised that the member of saff should explain at he time of booking that they are not taking the payment until check out I was not told this...to which the staff replied why should we...that your problem.

My Brother came and got me from the hotel as I had lots of cases and the kids and my dogs and we had to stay at his house the other side of Manchester!!

I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOVEL OF A HOTEL....IT MAKES FAULTY TOWERS LOOK LIKE THE RITZ WITH IGNORANT BAD MANNERED STAFF AND FILTHY ROOMS AND UNEDIBLE FOOD...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Room Tip: Book a room elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Babbles1964
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Friendly, approachable and helpful staff + big room + clean comfortable bed + salubrious surroundings + full English breakfast + excellent value = would not hesitate to go back. As some people have said it could do with a makeover in places which would make it a real pucker place. In places it brings tears to your eyes as some of the interior aspects with a little TLC, time and money would look fantastic. The dining room is lovely. Nice, airy and bright and looks out onto the lovely gardens at the back.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a very short stay in the Normanhurst last weekend. I was traveling over for an event om Saturday, but I was very constrained for time and arrived very late on Friday night (around 11:30 and had to leave straight after breakfast the following morning).

Last check in was supposed to be 11:30, but I had warned them i was arriving on a late flight and that it might be after 11 if the flight was delayed. They gave me a number to call if that happened which of course did. They were very nice about it and there was no hassle when I arrived at 11:25. The bedroom was huge and very comfortable.

The menu for the restaurant looked very nice with a wide range of choices and was very reasonably priced at £19.95. Breakfast was included in my room rate and I had a full Irish (sorry, English) which was very tasty and really set me up for the day.

Overall I thought it was excellent value for money and I would definitely stay there again if I have something on in the area. Hopefully the next time I won't be under such time pressure and I will be able to have dinner there as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. Lovely bright clean room in the annexe with flat screen TV.
Only problem was no mirror anywhere near dressing table or hairdryer- nearest one was in the wardrobe or bathroom. Staff helpful and friendly and good breakfast. Good location for Metro into Manchester centre.

Room Tip: Room overlooking garden was bright and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sale
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Altrincham Central

Been to The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!