“Good chance of food poisoning”
Review of Jackson's Boat

Jackson's Boat
Ranked #42 of 122 Restaurants in Sale
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Walked past Jacksons Boat so many times and only ever had a drink there so after walking past with the wife and dog on a beautiful saturday afternoon we decided to pop in for lunch.

It was 12:30pm and not busy at all. I looked at the menu and was abit shocked at the prices. I ordered 2x Jackson's Boat burgers (A homemade juicy 100% beef burger made to our secret recipe) and 1 portion of chips. I was not informed the burger would come with chips anyway so was annoyed already.

The food arrived and i bit into the burger and thought it tasted strange. I then looked at it and noticed how red inside the meat looked. My wifes was the same so i took them back and the waitress apologised and said she would replace them.

Just 10mins later the meal was replaced with an even smaller looking burger than before. For the price of £6:95 its a joke. Even with the small amount of fries and tablespoon of coleslaw that comes with it.

Anyway i cut into the burger and again it looked red and horrible. The waitress even said it didnt look right but said it could be the chefs special burger mix. Ive never seen a burger mix look like that before or taste as foul as it did and ive eaten all over the world.
There was no way i was falling for this special mix excuse so i asked for a full refund which was given.

Im just hoping that after swallowing a mouthful of whatever it was meant to be i dont end up with food poisoning. Maybe i should of read some of the reviews before hand.

2  Thank reecesanford

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Was reccomended this place by a friend and was not disappointed, I went with my wife and a couple of friends, the combo starter was a great sharer and the steak and ale pies was clearly homemade, just like the mash with fresh veg, my friends had goats cheese tartlet from the specials board which looked amazing.

Would definitely reccomend this pub to others.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is the first time I've found the need to write a negative review however the experience we had at Jackson's Boat was possible the worst pub meal I've ever been served.
It was quiet when we arrived .. we bought a drink from the bar and that was pleasant enough and sat down on picking up the menu I noticed it to be a little grubby which always rings alarm bells.
We were hungry so we gave the state of the menu the benefit of the doubt and to be fair the menu read well, standard food with an eclectic flair.
We ordered New York Chicken at £8.95 and steak& ale pie £8.45 it passed through my mind it was priced at the higher end for the eating experience the pub offered but it didn't overly concern me.
We were pleasantly surprised how quickly our meals arrived....both were served in individual dishes. Aesthetically mine looked over cooked the cheese was solidified on the top on peeling back the cheese topping in one piece it disclosed a thick mass of what appeared to be mass produced B.B.Q sauce with a chicken breast submerged in it. I cut into the chicken to find it was dry and it didn't have the appearance you would expect from chicken marinaded and then cooked in a sauce. I felt that this dish had been constructed rather than cooked meaning the chicken breasts had been all cooked elsewhere then placed in individual dishes and the globular sauce poured over and cheese topped then heated( possibly by microwave) resulting in the disaster that arrived as my home cooked meal.
My partners steak & ale pie was equally as bad the gravy was so salty it reminded me of yet again a mass produced commercial sauce mix...... in my opinion this was food at its worst.
As a couple we are pretty tolerant and we realise mistakes can happen in a kitchen as anywhere else and if you have a quiet word the problem is solved amicably .However in this instance we chose not too complain because we didn't have confidence in the outcome .
On the positive side Jackson's Boat is in an ideal location and great for families with children as they have a large outdoor area and in the winter there is a side room where your dog is welcomed.

3  Thank AnnieP240
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Went here on a Saturday lunchtime, with two prams and a dog! Great location and friendly staff. Sat outside and it was busy and had a good friendly atmosphere.
Two out of the party had the Jacksons Burger and there were empty plates, it looked delicious, another had the fish and chips - a HUGE portion, again this looked delicious. I had a chorizo panini which was very tasty.
Will be going again for lunch - its siutated perfectly near the water park for a walk beforehand or afterwards.
They are extending the metro link and there is work going on, but think that this is only during the week at the moment so there was no contsruction noise at the weekend.
Baby change in the ladies.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I think they've been in some hand-over period, the food is so much better now than a couple of months ago... had a roast yesterday after a long bike ride and it was great, good meat, nice tasting veggies and lots of it too.

There was a bit of an event on too, which is a new thing - some jazz musicians for the night and a hula-hoop fire spinning demo outside later on.

Recommended after a nice walk/run/ride around the parks...