“One of our Favourite Italian Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Da Vinci - CLOSED

Da Vinci
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“One of our Favourite Italian Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting Da Vinci for many years and would most definitely recommend it. The service is very friendly and it is always nice to see familiar faces when we come to the restaurant. Food is usually prepared quickly and efficiently and even when extremely busy we have never been kept waiting for long.

As for the food, my wife and I have certainly found our favourites, and they are some of the best dishes around. As a vegetarian I am always used to a limited selection (which I must say I find a great positive as it makes choosing much easier!) and I have tried every vegetarian option from the menu. Some restaurants provide a lacklustre vegetarian choice, but I have never felt let down by Da Vinci and find the options more than adequate compared to a lot of the competition.

For starters I absolutely adore the soups of the day which can be a range of interesting combinations, but whichever the chef chooses always manages to be extremely delicious. Also, you can never go wrong with Bruschetta, and Da Vinici does not disappoint here. For the main course I can highly recommend the pizza, it is not an easy dish to separate from the crowd, but there is a special something about the light and thin base which always brings me back to ordering it. The pizza never feels like the unhealthy option that it usually is. Another firm favourite main course of mine is the spinach and ricotta ravioli with a rich creamy cheese sauce. This is an impeccable dish with every mouthful being a delight to eat. To accompany the main course or even to share as a starter, my wife and I often enjoy the garlic bread, especially the cheese version.

As for value for money, eating directly off the menu can be a fairly expensive meal out, but with the quite generous early bird menu and the option of using a Taste Card on most week nights (but remember to book ahead), we find it to be one of the most economical yet quality restaurants in the area. Even though we have recently moved from Sale we still take a trip to visit Da Vinci when we can.

Highly recommended, and still one of our favourites after many years.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Laowaichris

Altrincham, England, United Kingdom
“Rude staff, Can't serve wine, Frozen Calamari, Pasta sauce from a jar.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

After hearing glowing reviews about Da Vinci's I was really looking forward to going... Especially their set menu which looked like a complete steal! How wrong was I. The food and timings have changed by half an hour, and therefore had to pay full price. The bald waiter was incredibly rude and always seemed to have the last word when any complaints were made. Upon serving wine, he poured a tasting amount into one glass before abruptly announcing 'It's Not Corked' showing the plastic cork and pouring the rest. This bottle of house red had no body and a dirty film on the top of the wine in the glass. Terrible. The calamari starter tasted like it had come from a large frozen catering pack, looking very much like cardboard. The chorizo was tough and the pasta sauce from the ravioli tasted somewhat like a jar of dolmio with the herbs missing. Overall a terrible experience and I will not be returning.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Jamie H
Sale, United Kingdom
“Average but not Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have been to the Da Vinci restaurant on a number of occasions and whilst we have never had a poor meal the restaurant itself is quite ordinary. For example the cutlery is old and dull and the paper napkins are thin and cheap. Considering that the prices charged for both god and drink is slightly above average I feel that more emphasis could be placed on improving the ambiance if the owners are to be ahead of the competition.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank 338deAshton
Edinburgh
“Website myth”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went here the other night on the basis of a recommendation from my B&B owner. It was basiaccly OK although nothing to really go over the top about. I had the classic of calamari followed by a risotto. And yes it was all ok filling the need. The service was friendly enough (kept on bring me bread which was nice !) and prices about right I guess. However , I wouldnt rush back as a must go to Italian.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank horsetiger
“Rude manager, would not return.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Having rang up on saturday evening to book a table and to confirm that the tastecard 241 offer was valid on a saturday as per website. We went to the restaurant, were sat next to the bar with waiters constantly rushing past. Ordered drinks,i was given a white wine rather than a red that I had ordered but thought I would let it pass. Food came, was ok, not great. But then when we came to pay the bill we gave them the tastecard, to which we were aggressively told that it is not accepted on saturdays- wrong on the website apparently... We tried to explain that we had rang and booked the table asking if the card was ok to use and we were told we had lied and that the manager himself had taken the call and he couldn't have said that. We were left feeling like told off school children which completely spoilt the evening. I could not believe that the manager would be so rude to customers- we did pay the full price but in hindsight I wish we had just walked out. Would never go back! Avoid!

• Visited June 2013