“fantastic service”

Ranked #92 of 122 Restaurants in Sale
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the run of the mill slug and lettuice fair, its a chain pub / food. Ive been here on meals with the girls, nights out, dinner with father christmas (with the 3 children!!) and lunch with my husband. the food is "so so" and they dont habe any specials or sunday lunches. But this place has famsttistic levels of service. They are attentive, the food is always fresh, on time and served with a smile - its not the menu or the quality that makes this place, but the staff.

I feel it would be nicer if they addeded specials to the menu, or nicer deserts as as nice as it is once youve been 3 or 4 times to the chain you get a little tired of the same food (which is me at the moment!)

Mondays are half price and they have events for christmas, mothers day, easter etc.

1  Thank extratowelsplease
Emily S, Manager at The Slug and Lettuce, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your review Vicky! Glad to hear you enjoy our bar and the service!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Have been here a few times and the atmosphere is always lovely, friendly staff and good value for money! Mondays are very busy for half price food but still good service.... Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Janebooth
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Used to visit regularly, but big disappointment lately.
Went there two weeks on the trot on a Monday. Week 1, table of 6, we arrived at quarter to nine. They close the restaurant at 9pm. We were sat down, provided with menus, they set the cutlery on our table and we ordered drinks with the waitress (which took 10 minutes by the time they got the order right). Then another waitress came over, with pen and pad, we presumed she was going to take the order, but she preceded to tell us that the kitchen was closed! I complained that they'd just sat us down, provided us with menus and we'd ordered drinks. Would have thought they'd let us know that they wouldn't be serving us. Asked for the manager, who said she's see what she could do, meantime, we saw the chef leave the building! Luckily, we were given the drinks, which we wouldn't have ordered otherwise, for free.

Week 2, table of 5,,, thought we'd try again. The same waitress served us, it was obvious she's had no training as she got the drinks order wrong again and didn't know the menu (although I wouldn't put the blame on her). I then ordered and was told after a couple of trips back to the table that neither my food or drink was available. I reordered and was then told that they did have the original drink i ordered and that the 2nd meal i ordered didn't have the accompaniment. I said that was fine and then my meal came on it's own before the other 4. I didn't want to eat alone so, after 10 minutes, sent mine back to arrive with the rest of the tables'. 20 minutes later the food for 2 of our party arrived, the other 2 dishes were wrong and sent back. They then arrived and i was still waiting for my food! When it finally arrived, it was with the accompaniment that i was originally informed they didn't have. One of the other diner's meals was cold and sent back, which was microwaved and plonked back on the table.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. I used to visit regularly as it's local and used to be consistent. The staff need training, the management seem to hide away and have no knowledge of what's going on, or just ignore it. Just because you serve half price food, it doesn't mean you should provide no service. Doubt i'll be back in a hurry.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

It's been a while since we went here, but decided to give it a go on a Monday (half price food) in late afternoon. We were told we could sit anywhere we liked, but then were left for 20 minutes with no-one interested in taking our order. I finally went to the bar and told the duty manager, but even then it was a further 5 minutes before anyone came. Food took about 20 minutes and was fine. Then we asked for the bill. It was brought reasonably quickly. Seeing as no-one had come to get the money, 10 minutes later we decided to go and pay on the way out. The crowning glory was that someone else's meal had been added to our bill after we had been given it, and so that had to be sorted out. Very inefficient on all counts.
The thing was it was only about 1/4 full - goodness knows what it's like when they have a crowd in.
I can't help thinking they should act like every other pub in the area and have numbered tables and you go up and place your order over the bar. Unless they do that I don't think we will be back, especially as the drinks - especially wine - are pretty expensive by local pub standards. Cheapest wine is over £12 a bottle, whereas it's £6.50 at the Waterside less than 100m away - and you can use your Tesco Clubcard deals for food in the Waterside as well!!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just what I expected from local all ok nothing outstanding but was exceptionally busy maybe better next time

1  Thank jejon