“Fine dinning standard in a neighbourhood restaurant”
Review of Fat Loaf

Fat Loaf
Ranked #11 of 122 Restaurants in Sale
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Fat Loaf restaurant in Sale is an absolute find and a local favourite. The brainchild of chefs Paul Taylor and Tim Wood who trained under Michelin-starred Marco Pierre White at the Lowry, The Fat Loaf is a brilliant bistro. The open kitchen lets you watch them work. Sourcing is taken seriously – local wherever possible, excellent at all times. The menu is modern European prepared with imagination and flair. It’s perfectly set in a storefront restaurant with slate floors, white chairs, neutrally coloured walls and an array of art photography on display. Formerly a bring-your-own-wine place, The Fat Loaf now offers a short, thoughtful, international wines list at prices so reasonable you’ll have to blink
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have brought friends and family to the Fat loaf over 10 times over the last six months since moving to Sale. The food on both the set menu and the a la carte are simply excellent. I can tell from the taste and the presentation that the chefs are formally trained and their cooking is on par with fancy celebrity chef London restaurants. Their marinated steak is the best steak I have ever had and their sticky toffee pudding is sublime! My visiting friends are always impressed. The price is very reasonable and, for the standard of food they serve, it is an absolute bargain. In fact, the set menu which is available until 7pm cost only £10 for two courses. The restaurant itself is small and has a modern relaxed ambience. It is a good idea to book in advance to avoid disappointment as it is quite often hired for private functions. The only very slight letdown is the service which sometimes feels a bit impersonal. Saying that, it is a very minor point as everything else is perfect and the owner himself, who I guess is also the head chef, is a very friendly guy. Overall, i think the Fat loaf is one of the best restaurants in Manchester and I would be happy to use it to entertain my visitors for years to come.

1  Thank ChristinaLo

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Went here for lunch on Saturday with some friends who were passing through Manchester on their way to London.

Lunch menu was good with lots of variety but not too much. You can get soup, sandwich and 'skinny chips' for about £5.95 which is ample for lunch. The egg sandwich was really tasty and the Turkey, bacon and mayo was well cooked, tasty and the bread was soft. The soup of the day was minted pea and that was awesome.

The fish finger sandwich was stuffed full of fish fingers and the mushy pea side was lovely.

The chicken caesar salad had hugh chunks of chicken and bacon in and large portions of anchovies.

The service was good, quick and we sat for a while and chatted after we'd eaten and we did not feel rushed.

Had a look at the evening menu which everyone thought looked quality also.

Would definitely go back for lunch and we're looking forward to trying it out for an evening meal. My friend said he'd told his wife and sister that I always know good places to eat and that they were not disappointed.

Top tip - we heard that the waitress taking a booking for the evening and she said they only had two tables left and it was 14:00 in the afternoon. Book early!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Yet again the Fat Loaf comes up to scratch, Four of us went for a birthday meal and i think i had the best Lamb i have ever had cooked to perfection everyone in our party said how good the food was and the service was excellent as usual all at a good price
well worth a visit if your in the area

1  Thank Bazschofieldsnr
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Ate here with a friend recently mid week. I had previously eaten at the Didsbury fat loaf and didn't enjoy it. However I have to agree with my friend, this fat loaf in sale is good. We both had fish dishes and unlike some restaurants, the portions were a good size. The desserts are to die for.

Overall I would recommend eating here. The decor has some lovely paintings & the atmosphere is friendly & relaxed.

1  Thank GFGManchester
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stumbled on The Fat Loaf by chance on a wet weekday afternoon and it was a pleasant surprise it was quite busy for a weekday afternoon, my wife had the soup,sandwich and fries deal and I had the fish finger butty all the food tasted really good and was nicely presented I even had room for one of their deserts which was 3 mini sweets chocolate cake,brandy snap with cream and a creme brulee all very good.I thought the service was very good the waitress was attentive without being over the top and she even brought us a jug of iced water to have with our meal without being asked which I thought was a nice touch.I was quite sad that we dont live far from this place but had never been we have put that right now and we will return