“wife and children loved the rooms”

Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Blue Mountains
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“wife and children loved the rooms”
Reviewed November 18, 2010

large and beautiful living area with view of the mountains. Clean and spacious bedrooms. Would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear CTIL,

Short and Sweet! Sometimes that is all that needs to be said and the title of your review says it all. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay and we look forward to your return to the Westin Trillium.

jhenry@intrawest.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 18, 2010

As a Gold Member of Starwood I have stayed at several Sheraton sites and have always been pleased with the service and accommodation. This was our first experience with a Westin Hotel. It was lacking in many ways and I’ll explain in point form below.

• We were told on our arrival that we were ten minutes early for check-in and that our room was not available. Had the receptionist not been so brusque and arrogant in her attitude at the time it might not have seemed such a bad experience. She ended up ‘putting us in another room’ and her attitude would indicate it was a great inconvenience. Not a nice start to our stay.
• The activity sheet we received on check-in listed activities and entertainment that were not available. The cave excursion we had looked forward to was closed and the live entertainment that was supposed to start at 9:30 p.m. still hadn’t appeared when we finished dinner around 11 p.m.
• As a gold member staying at Sheraton we have always had the privilege of late check-out but on this stay we were told that we must call in the morning to request a 2 hour extension. That means waking up at 9 a.m. to let them know which seems ridiculous considering we were there for the rest and relaxation, escaping the city hustle and bustle for a couple of days. Why they couldn't have told us the evening before is a puzzle.

The location is lovely and we enjoyed the surrounding area but the staffing attitude really soured what would have been a wonderful experience.

EGM

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear GMikkel,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experiences during your recent visit to the Westin Trillium House and the Village at Blue Mountain. Though I am quite pleased that your individual ratings for our property were overall very positive I am very dissapointed in what you took away as a lasting impression, that being arrogance and poor service. You have my utmost apology for this lackluster experience and do hope that you will consider us again since clearly you did in fact recognize the many wonderful things that this hotel and this destination have to offer.

I have spoken with the asociate who processed your arrival (your account name was a giveaway and I was able to determine your actual name) and I have to be frank in that she did not feel that there was a concern during your check in process. That is until she reviewed your post! One of our service procedures here at the hotel is to flag the accounts of guests who had a difficult interaction with one or more of our associates. We do this in an attempt to ensure that all subsequent encounters are exceptional and hopefully mitigate any intial concerns. The fact that your account was not flagged indicates to me that our intuitiveness was clearly not present that day. It is reviews such as yours that assist us in providing our associates with the perspective of the guest and help them to better service the needs of our future guests with the learning derived from these types of situations. I trust that this learning experience has assisted our associate in gaining a better understanding of how best to approach guest interactions.

The communication at check in regarding the availability of your assigned suite goes hand in hand with the difficulty in securing a late check out the next morning. Unfortunately a resort hotel with a multitude of suite types (with significant size differences) requires a greater length of time in which to process a suite for the arrival of the next guest. This is why you received the comment on arrival that your suite was not quite ready to be occupied and due to the arrivals on your day of departure they were hard pressed to offer you a late departure. The availabiIity of late departures and early arrivals is directly tied to our occupancy and volume of arrivals. I was however pleased to see that we were ultimately able to accommodate a 1pm departure time.

I did review the activity sheet that you received on arrival and must apologize for the dissapointment you experienced when you learned that Scenic Caves was closed for the season. There is in fact no mention of Scenic Caves on that information sheet as it has been closed since the last week of October and this is indicated on their website. I am sorry that you may have been given erroneous information at some point in your reservation process.

I have sent your comments regarding the late start to the live music at Windy O'Neill's (the only venue with live music that night) to that facility's owner. The Village restaurants and retail stores are all private businesses with no direct ties to this Hotel though we do maintain solid relationships with all of those operators. Although we endevour to ensure that all information included on the information sheet is accurate it unfortunately is not produced in house as it lists events and activities offered by a private operators. I would suspect that the musicians were simply late for their venue that Thursday evening but the fact remains that we would have no control over that incident.

I do hope that our efforts to rectify your service concerns and offer at least some explanation for the other items noted may help to improve your overall impression of our facility. You do seem to have enjoyed your stay if not for these inconveniences and miscommunications. Please do feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss these matters further or if you wish to reserve again. I would be most pleased to handle your booking and ensure that your experience is all that you would expect.

Ottawa,On
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference. I have stayed at a number of Westins and for the most part, this hotel lived up to the Westin brand. The rooms are very well appointed and of good size. The hotel man lobby was nicely layed out and well maintained. The grounds were exceptional. The only disstatisfaction I did have were with house keeping and staff of the hotel. After my first night stay and upon my return to my room, my room was cleaned but not to the standard that I am sure Westin would approve of. My bed looked like they only tossed the sheets back on and the pillows were just thrown on. The staff of the hotel during my stay seemed like they were just going through the motions. When staying at a resort like this, I would expect a high level of service. When one has to stand at the bar for 15 minutes to await a bartender to attend and then make you feel like you are bothering them, that is not service. On another occasion while in a meeting room for lunch, several people tried to get wait staff attention to get water, only to be ignored as our table was not in her section. This level of service in our meeting rooms for meals was noticed each day and many ended up serving themselves from the beverage station.

Usually when I stay at a hotel, at least one employee stands out or goes beyond the call of duty. Unfortunately this time, I cannot say that this happened. Though this is shoulder season for this resort, they need to be on their A game at all times. This was my first time to Collingwood and this resort and I was neither impressed nor totally unimpressed. Would I return again? Maybe.

On a positive note, the food was tastey in served buffet style.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stayed at the Westin at Blue Mountains for a weekend getaway the first weekend of November. Although this month was described as Slow-vember by local buiness owners, there was a lot to keep our family of 6 entertained.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite. Their was a king suite with full ensuite and the second room had 2 queens and it's own full ensuite. There was also a queen pull out. The kitchen was new and everything you'd need in a kitchen was there.

We had called ahead for a baby crib and it was in the room for our arrival - the crib was in like new condition.

The only negative was that we found the beds anything but "heavenly". The prepaid room rate was 300.00/night, well worth it. Great views and a walk out balcony.

There are so many great restaurants in the Village right accross from the hotel, that we did not eat in the restaurant. Their is Plunge! a indoor water park attached to the hotel that was great fun for the kids (not afflicated with the hotel).

can't wait to fo back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Weggees
Dear Weggees, (I like your member name!)

Thank you for such a glowing review of your recent visit to the Westin Trillium House and the Village at Blue Mountain. I am very pleased that we made such a solid impression during your stay.

Although I am surprised by your comment regarding our Heavenly Bed (as this design is one of the most succesful selling points of the brand) I can understand depending on one's preferences why the experience may not have been enjoyable. Our pillowtop, pocket coil mattress sets manufactured by Simmons are of exceptional quality and we receive positive commentary in 99.9% of the feedback that we field from our guests. Being a "hotel" bed the design lends itself to satisfy the preferences of a multitude of guests (read: average hardness) and hence if you are looking for an exceptionally soft or incredibly hard sleeping experience this mattress may not do the trick. There is a slight chance that the mattress set in your suite may be in need of replacement, unusual given the age of our hotel but still possible. If convenient I would ask that you contact me directly (email listed below) so that I may determine the suite number in which you stayed and thereby inspect the mattress set for any possible concerns.

Thank you once again and we do look forward to seeing you return.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed overnight at Trillium for a quick girls getaway. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was very spacious and well maintained. It was a little oasis in the mountains.

It was so nice to have a full kitchen and two separate bedrooms/bathrooms - especially with a bunch of girls. Being able to cook your own breakfast and dinner definitely helps with the overall expense of a weekend away. If you're not inclined to cook, the hotel is a two minute walk from the village.

A couple drawbacks of the hotel....

1. Parking - $15 for underground parking; was supposed to be included in the rate we booked was supposed to include parking. The attendant at check in was less than helpful and not very curteous let us know this or valet were our only options. Evidently there's free parking in a lot nearby. I'd definitely use that next time and not have to deal with a moody attendant.

2. Bring speakers or something for you iPod. None of the rooms are equipped to accommodate anything other than using a CD (but who brings CDs with them these days?). Even the alarm clocks are radio-only.

3. There was no shampoo or conditioner in any of the bathrooms. Staff informed us it wasn't provided at the hotel because it was more condo-style.

All in all it was an eventful overnight trip. We had a blast and it was a quick drive to our Sunday destination - Scandinave Spa. If you haven't been there before - this is a must try.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Stina0t2,

Thank you for taking the time to offer our readers such a complimentary perspective of your girls getaway at the Westin Trillium House and the the Village at Blue Mountain. I am pleased that we were able to offer a unique experience and a well deserved break for you and your friends. We do hope that you will visit again as a group soon.

With respect to your noted concerns I would appreciate it greatly if you could contact me directly (email listed below) so that I can determine why you were charged parking if it was supposed to be included. We do not offer very many packages that include parking, however it is not un heard of and so I would like to follow up. As I have stated in other responses to Tripadvisor reviews, I try to deter our associates from referring guests to any of the surface lots close to the hotel as we do not own or operate them and thus do not have any right to do so. I would suspect however that several on our team do so with a wink and a nudge and I apologize for our associate who was not as cordial as he should have been.

With respect to the MP3 docking stations (or lack thereof) I have instructed our management team to investigate the purchase and installation of these units and hope that we will be able to do this in the coming months. I too get frustrated when I have no place to plug in my Ipod Touch!!

Your last comment blew me away so to speak!! Clearly we have an associate with a need for more indepth training to which I have communicated to our management team that a reinforcement session may be in order. Although it is true that we are a "condominium" hotel that fact should not mean reduced services or amenities. As a Westin Hotel we offer so much more that what a condo hotel experience can offer and that includes a wide range of toiletries and amenities in all of our suites. We clearly dropped the ball on this one and you have my utmost apology.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay and we look forward to seeing you again.

Toronto
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We were searching for a pet-friendly place as we were looking to get away for a couple days with our Rottie. We were pleasantly surprised to find out the Westin Trillium House in Blue Mountain had pet-friendly suites available! :-)
Beautiful, newer, nice, modern hotel with excellent & friendly service from the staff!
All pet-friendly rooms are on the first floor with a walk-out to a little patio & the grass area (for our pooch to go pottie!) Room was very nice, extremely clean & spacious with plenty of room for our 110 lb rottweiler! Received an upgraded room with great view of the mountains, a separate bedroom, kitchenette, dining table & bathroom with separate shower stall & bathtub. The bed was super comfortable, room service was great & lots of great movies to rent (including movies currently playing in theatres).
Just behind the hotel is the Village with lots of great restaurants & shops just at the base of the mountains. Great relaxing & fun environment!
Thank you for a wonderful weekend experience - will definitely be back ;-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SuzeeTO
Dear SuzeeTO,

WOW! I am glad we could make such an impact on one of our guests and we are very pleased that your entire family (including your rotti) enjoyed their visit to the Westin Trillium and the Village at Blue Mountain.

I am a firm believer that guests travelling with pets consider them to be part of the family and can certainly understand the feeling of guilt and dissapointment if they are forced to leave their family members at home while travelling.

Our Westin Heavenly Pet Program is very popular given our resort designation but it does not come without its own challenges. Due to the nature of the resort we can not allow pets to be left unattended in suites as this often leads to uncontrollable barking that impacts other guests (I would bark too if I were bored or lonely). Likewise we also limit the areas in which pets can roam with their masters and as such the pool and the restaurant are out of bounds but pretty much everywhere else on resort is open territory. And yes there is additional work to be done by our housekeeping team to ready a pet friendly suite for the next guest arrival. Our team is very experienced at eliminating all traces of our four legged friends after they depart so not to impact the visit of another guest.

Thank you once again for posting your comments and I am very pleased to hear that our pet program is having such a positive impact on our guests. We do look forward to your next visit with us and please make sure that your rotti receives their welcome package on arrival (and a quick visit to Bark & Fitz in the village would most likely be appreciated by your friend).

London, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed at this resort in Oct 2010. After a long drive and preparing for a funeral it was nice to check in to a place that was warm and comfy. The view from our balcony was very pretty with the changing leaves. I can imagine how pretty is must be when the ground is laden with snow and the skiers are on the hills.

The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. We had a quick check in.

The rooms are lovely and relaxing.

If you don't want to pay the prices in the restaurant for a meal you can always shop before you arrive and prepare your own if you have a suite. The rooms have a fridge, microwave and dishes. The suites also have a hot plate.

My one complaint would be the price of bottled water. For a hotel of this calibre I think charging a client $5.95 for a medium size bottle of water is ridiculous. Read the fine print people, do not open the water provided in the room. We were fortunate because we had been warned by friends so we brought our own.

You pay for parking unless you use the gravel lot next door.

Beautiful location, nice amenities. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caribbean_breezes
Dear Caribbean_breezes,

Thank you for such a glowing review of our hotel and your recent visit to the Village at Blue Mountian. I only wish that you were here for a more joyous occasion but am pleased that we were able to make a difficult stay more comfortable.

I too would be hesitant to pay $5.95 for a bottle of spring water but understanding the the costs and efforts involved in providing this convenience my disdain is tempered with the knowledge that our bottled water program is not a profit center. Not only do we incur the cost of the product (our Aqua Panna product is not the cheapest on the market), but also the labour involved to check and restock our suites daily, shipping, storage and the inevitable theft that occurs in some of our suites. I would wholeheartedly agree with your recomendation to bring your own product if not wishing to pay the price for this convenience. Aqua Panna is however a wonderful product and I have at times purchased it myself when staying at some of our sister properties. It is nice to be able to utilize the convenience even if only on special occasions.

Thank you once again for posting your review for our readers and future guests and we look forward to a return visit under more joyous circumstances.

Yours in Hospitality
Embarc Blue Mountain
Embarc Blue Mountain
#1 of 16 in Blue Mountains
Mountain Springs Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!