“A good place to unwind.”

Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Blue Mountains
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“A good place to unwind.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

I had to make a last minute trip to Collingwood and needed a place to stay. There were not many hotels with availability . This hotel is slightly more expensive but the pictures of the hotel made it seem nice . I decided to give it a try.

I was concerned reading the reviews about the frog bits and I did discuss this with the hotel prior to visiting. They said that due to the proximity to the pond there are frogs but that mostly they would not be an issue.

I decided - with some hesitation to give the hotel a try.

We arrived a bit early- about 1pm and check in is at 4pm. I was told me room was not ready but that it would only be about 40 minutes. They gave me a keycard so that we could park the car and use the pool if we wanted.

We chose not to use the valet service and parked the car ourselves. The dirt lot next to the hotel was really close and most people would have no problem parking there. We chose the underground parking and disability parking spaces were very close to the elevators .It was well lit and very convenient.

The lobby is lovely ,clean and spacious. I was asked if I needed assistance when I was waiting for another employee to come back from checking if my room was ready and that was excellent service. There was initially only one person at the small check in desk but as it became busier more and more employees arrived to assist the customers so the wait was never long.

When I finally came back to check in officially to my room it was after 4 pm. Here is my biggest concern - the hallways are littered with the sheets from beds and garbage bags from rooms. I can't say they were being negligent it seems that is their standard process - to leave them in piles beside the door in the hall, waiting for someone to pick up the sheets and the trash bags later. It is understandable but I think if check in time is 4pm then they should be gone by 4pm . Every few feet was another pile. I even took a picture. It didn't ruin the trip or anything - I just think it was a bit mismanaged .

The room was lovely. The couch and bed were very comfortable and I was able to sleep like a baby. They have many pillows which is nice. The balcony is very large and the view was wonderful . The Kitchen has everything you need and while the fridge is small it can hold the necessities for a short stay. The double headed shower was quite nice and it was convenient to also have a separate bathtub. The fireplace was beautiful - we turned it on just to see it and I think it would be very nice for a winter trip.

The restaurant looked very nice but was a bit expensive for basics like french fries. The room service menu has a lot of the items from the restaurant and the food was pretty tasty . The presentation wasn't that impressive but I enjoyed what I ordered.
They has some really good deals when you ate later in the afternoon on the patio.

The pool was fairly large and it was easy to get a little corner to yourself even at the busier times. It was pretty warm but still refreshing on a hot day. There were many chairs and we had no problem finding ones to use. There were also tented areas for a little shade .
There was a bit of gravel on the bottom of the pool but you barely noticed. Pool seemed clean and not overly chlorinated . The big hot tub was almost as big as some pools and it was very pretty. It wasn't really really hot but definitely warmer than the pool .They seemed to have enough towels for anyone swimming when I was there.

I did not see a frog . I did see staff picking up bits of papers or garbage from the bushes now and then to keep everything clean. That was good that they keep the area tidy.

There were live bands across the pond that were very loud but played fairly popular songs most people would probably like so while sitting at the pool it was actually kind of entertaining. At night you could only hear them if you were outside at the pool or on the balcony so they didn't bother me even though I was facing them .

Check out was super easy and overall it was a nice hotel to stay at. I would consider visiting again .

I think that just about covers it.

• Stayed July 2010
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Dear knitkat,

Thank you for your very thorough and detailed review of your recent visit to the Trillium House. I am very pleased to hear that your hesitation (which I would agree was warranted given prior posts) was unfounded and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Each and every one of your comments has been reviewed by our various department managers and I have asked our Housekeeping Team to post the picture that you included of the hallway strewn with linen awaiting pickup so they can better understand the guest perspective. You have made a very good point and although this process is really one of the most efficient on busy arrival/departure days I agree wholeheartedly with your asscertion that upon arrival a guest should not be seeing these things at the tail end of the day. It really does not live up to the arrival experience that we wish all of our guests to have and our team will redouble their efforts to retrieve these items in a more timely fashion.

Thank you once again for sharing your perspective with our Tripadvisor readers and I am truly thankful that our green friends did not make an appearance during your stay.

jhenry@intrawest.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Port Washington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

Just got back from a family trip touring the usual Niagara Falls, Toronto area, staying for the first time at Blue Mountain for 3 days. As a platinum, got a basic upgrade to a 1 bedroom sweet which had a wonderful view of the town and lake. The hotel and its surroundings are very nice and probably would be even nicer in the winter. I most likely will visit again with some family friends. My 2 young boys enjoyed catching the frogs along the lake as well as the outdoor pools which were nicely heated and relatively clean (sand along the bottom though not excessive). The restaurant was just average though the service was fine. Nice little town along the water with a variety of stores though nothing outstanding.

The only negatives were an icy incompetent check-in person that gave me wrong information and was extremely unhelpful wasting my time and forcing me to call the platinum concierge for help. The rest of the check-in helpers or workers i spoke to were fine, just bad luck at check-in. I found out after arriving at the Plunge Aquatic center that it is not affiliated in any way with the hotel and no discounts are given to hotel guests. There is now a short mention of this entrance fee, which I am almost positive was not present when I had booked the reservation on SPG.com a few weeks ago (I am quite diligent with parking, resort, etc fees that hotels tack on). Cost ($58 on my room charge) was acceptable though the center itself is quite small and not really a "waterpark" as opposed to just a fancy hotel pool with a slide, etc. (I've been to many resort hotels with much more than this aquatic center). That being said, it was okay but i probably should contact corporate to find out when the entrance fee comment was put onto the website. The hotel pools with hot tubs were probably just as nice as the aquatic center which added very little to the overall enjoyment as it really was nothing special now that i think about it.

I arrive during the tail end of the Wayne Gretzky tournament as saw Mr. Gretzky a few times in the hotel (he was eating breakfast at the restaurant). Would have loved to get his autograph and picture but didn't want to disturb him so just took a pass there. I had asked the hostesses whether he was allowing pictures to be taken with fans and they mentioned they wanted to and weren't allowed either (that should have been obvious for all hotel employees, but i just ignored their innocent reply to my actual question).

Anyways, overall, i'd say the rooms, views, overall hotel and activities are all very good. Would probably check out the ski-ing this winter as it seems like a pleasant place. Service is hit or miss, and as far as fees go as long as they mention possible fees with the aquatic center, i'm fine with it. Oh yeah, the check-in person also tried quite hard to sell the hotel parking when i mentioned i'd probably just use the dirt lot next door. I don't quite trust valet personnel in general during most of my stays and getting the car myself is usually faster and more convenient. Might use their lot if there was snow and wintertime.

Good Day crazywudsl,

I would like to thank you personally for posting your mostly positive and complimentary review of your visit to the Trillium House. I am pleased to hear that your family enjoyed their trip to the Village at Blue Mountain and the Westin.

I was quite disturbed by your description of the experience dealing with one of our front desk associates and I can assure you that we take these types of interactions very seriously. If convenient please feel free to contact me personally at the address below so that we may discuss the matter further. If the actions of one of our associates was inappropriate we need to ensure that proper counciling takes place so that an incident such as this does not reoccur. I am however pleased that the remainder of our team seemed to be on their game for the duration of your visit.

I am a bit embarrased that you had to learn from the team at the Plunge! Aquatic Centre that the use of their facility is not included as a free amenity of the hotel. Due to our close proximity (ie physically attached to the hotel) and the services that it offers we do at length mention the facility in many of our marketing documents and on line advertising. Plunge! is however a seperate operation and as such we do not include their entrance fee in our rates. We can upon request have those charges added to the guest bill for convenience and at times throughout the year we offer packages that include access to the facility. I can save you the time required to contact Starwood Hotels in an effort to determine when we changed our website to reflect these charges as those changes only became active a few weeks ago. It was in fact due to concerns not unlike yours that prompted us to do so and I apologize for those comments not being listed prior to you making your reservation.

With respect to parking (the charge for which can be a bone of contention for some of our guests) I can honestly say that we do promote the use of not only our underground garage but also our valet service. While you are correct in assuming that the revenue generated is a financial motivator moreso we wish to ensure that our guests have a true Westin experience from the moment they arrive. That experience is difficult to have when an arriving family has to struggle to unload their own vehicle, drive down the street, park in a gravel lot and hope that the weather will be nice enough during their stay so as not to have to step gingerly through puddles to get back to their vehicle. Likewise our valet service can greet their arrival, unload the vehicle, handle their bags and eliminate the stress of trying to find a parking spot in a crowded underground garage. Any of these options do have their merits however and it is up to the individual guest to decide what value to assign each service and whether they feel the charge is of value to them personally. As my office window overlooks our driveway and streetscape nothing disturbs me more than seeing a family struggle carrying their luggage from the car they parked down the street. It may only be 500 metres away but 500 metres can be a long haul when you have packed for a long weekend away. You have made a very good point on unloading first and I am certain that readers of this post will take notice. We would however ask that when self parking, guests should remove their vehicle from the driveway as quickly as possible so as not to impact other arriving vehicles.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay and we do hope that you visit us again during our Winter ski season.

the Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

I really love coming to the Westin very often. The staff is friendly, the rooms are super clean and the restaurant has very good food. It is one of the best hotels in the Blue Mountain and Village area.
The pool area needs help though...........The pool water is musty and there is never enough towels. They have an area right before the pool which has a regular size hot tub with flowing water. But to my horror when I turned around where there is flowers and decorative plants there were tons and tons of dead FROGS !!! It was extremely gross!!!Not only dead frogs but rotting frog parts!! This pool area needs a real good clean-up. This hotel is quite expensive and you should not be seeing this sort of stuff.
Also, request mountain view if you are noise sensitive. The bars play really loud music at weird times during the night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Good Morning zye01,

Thank you for posting comments regarding your most recent (of many) visits to the Westin Trillium and the Village at Blue Mountain. We are certainly pleased that you enjoyed your suite, the Village and the Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill and we look forward to your return.

With respect to your concerns with the pool area I would have to agree that we sometimes experience a seasonal problem with frogs. With the Hotel bordering the Village Millpond that is an environmentally protected area registered with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment we occasionally have to worry about the local wildlife finding their way on to the grounds of the Hotel. (when you are here next time look me up and I will tell you the story of the muscrat that tried to check in at the front desk! - true story) All kidding aside we do take this problem seriously and during the brief spring and early summer period when the frogs are most plentiful we do attempt to catch and release them back into the Millpond area whenever possible. Your experience however was clearly unacceptable and I have passed these comments on to our maintenance and housekeeping team to ensure greater vigilence for next season. You will also be happy to know that as of last week we have received our summer shipment of pool towels thereby doubling our supply. This should all but eliminate any availability problems throughout the busy summer months. With respect to "musty" pool water I am assuming you meant murky as this can sometimes be a problem during peak periods. Although we monitor and treat our pool water thoroughly high bather load, intense sunlight and other factors can combine to produce this effect sporadically throughout the summer months. I can assure you that we make every effort to avoid this type of occurence but on the odd chance it does happen rest assured that the pool water is exceptionally safe.

Your advice on requesting a mountain view suite to avoid the vibrant night life of the village is well taken but also remember that the Village at Blue has a noise by-law in effect that is strictly enforced. If one of our village meeting places choose to have loud music (live or recorded) it must be turned down by 11pm. If it is not then we have the ability to dispatch village security to rectify the problem. As I had stated in an earlier response we as a village destination attempt to satisfy the demands of all of our patrons sometimes however the needs of some overlap with the needs of others. It is our responsibility as a lodging operator to ensure that this does not happen on a regular basis.

Thank you once again for your kind words regarding the Westin Trillium and the resort and for your perspective on our pool area. I truly hope that my explanations have alleviated your concerns. Please feel free to contact me personally at the email address below if you would like to discuss your stay further or if you would like to hear the story of our friend the muscrat.

Toronto, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

We have stayed at this property a number of times since 2007 and it has gone a bit downhill since our first stay (but the room rates have steadily increased). Overall impression is that service and quality are inconsistent, whether or not you have a good stay is dependent on luck. The service during our last visit was poor at best, here are some highlights:

- After calling from our room for our car to be brought up by the valet we waited on average 30 minutes in the lobby and on a couple of occasions had to ask the valet ourselves for the car.

- The restaurant food is OK but on par with a mall restaurant. The resort is full of families, if you don't have kids (which we do not) and are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation I wouldn't recommend staying here as the hotel gets very noisy during the day.

- The last time we visited we had a 1 BR suite with a balcony overlooking the pond, at nighttime we were trying to sleep and a bar across the pond, Kaytoo, was blasting music on their patio until 2 AM. We complained to the hotel staff and they said they would call the bar, but the sound level did not decrease. We asked to be moved at 1:30 AM to another room in order to get some sleep. Unfortunately the hotel did not have any rooms available on the mountain side of the hotel which is much quieter. They moved us to a room that was still on the pond/pool side but not directly facing Kaytoo. It was a bit quieter. I understand that this is mostly out of the hotel's control, however it is something you should be aware of if you plan on visiting the hotel during the summer months.

- We had originally planned on staying 3 nights however my husband and I were really enjoying our mini-vacation so we requested to stay another night. We were told to see the front desk staff for this request. When we arrived there were a lot of people checking in and out with only 2 desk staff available. We waited our turn and were told by a very rude employee that there was nothing he could do, that the hotel was fully booked. We asked to speak to a manager and this person basically told us that there would be no point as the manager would not be able to do anything and then asked us to move out of the way so that he could serve other customers. We were incensed by his handling of us. A manager came about 10 minutes later to help the other clerk with something and we managed to catch her before she ran off again. We told her of our situation and she spent about 2 minutes on her computer and told us that she had moved around some reservations and we could stay another night in the same room we were already in.

These are a few examples of what I mean when I say inconsistent quality of service. The hotel itself is nice, but the facilities and rooms are aging rapidly and are not being maintained at the level you would expect from a Westin.

If I were to stay at this hotel again I would:
A. Request a room on the mountain side on an upper floor away from the elevators
B. Visit in the middle of the week, not on a weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Good Afternoon CMASON971,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post comments regarding your last visit to The Village at Blue Mountain and specifically the Westin Trillium House. It is always a pleasure to hear from a repeat guest and we certainly value any and all feedback we receive. Although I am pleased to hear that the "mini-vacation" you had with your spouse was enjoyable I am dissapointed to hear of your concerns regarding the Hotel and our restaurant Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill. We clearly have not lived up to your expectations and for this you have my personal apology.

As these posts are annonymous I am unsure as to which dates in July 2009 that you visited the resort however I can surmise from your review of Three Guys & A Stove, Firehall Pizza, and Tholos that you were here on one of our busy long weekends. You have unfortunately experienced what can sometimes happen when our occupancies peak and our ability to service our guests in a timely manner can be temporarily impacted at certain times throughout the day (i.e. check in and check out periods). Although infrequent these slowdowns in service are a concern and thus we are constantly reviewing our protocols and procedures in an effort to consistently improve our service offerings to our patrons.

Blue Mountain Resort and the Westin Trillium House cater to many demographics - corporate groups, couples like yourself, families and singles alike. During holiday and vacation periods our in house guests are predominently young families or young couples and hence your experience with noisy children (most likely frequenting the pool or games room) and a vibrant nightlife across the pond. Being a popular resort destination we have learned over the years to balance the leisure demands of our various guests however at times the needs of some overlap those of others. We do however have the ability to request that Village security attend a Village facility if their volume is turned up too loud or if they are operating in contravention of our 11pm noise by-law.

I was very surprised to read your comments regarding our restaurant. As you may know our Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill is operated by the same successful organization responsible for restaurants such as Canoe, Jump, Biffs, 33 Yonge and Auberge du Pommier in Toronto. They operate with the same culinary skill and service prowess as those facilties and so I trust that your experience was a unique one. Their lunch menu can be rather straight forward given that our lunch patrons prefer these types of selections but I urge you to review their other menus on their website to see what they have to offer. I am confident that their Stone Baked Pizza's would rival if not surpass those that you raved about in your review of Firehall Pizza (though their pizza's are exceptional as well!)

With respect to your interaction with our Service Express Associate when you attempted to extend your stay I am dissapointed. I would suppose that we were either at or very near capacity when you enquired but your request to speak to a manager being denied and to be spoken to in such a manner is clearly not acceptable. I can say however say that due to the varied number of room types that we have combined with a miriad of requests for specific room attributes on busy weekends it is not always possible for a line associate to make these decisions. Regardless we failed in this respect and as such I would appreciate a follow up email from you at the address below so that I may pursue this matter further.

The Westin Trillium House team pride themselves on the service and product offerings that we provide visitors to the Village at Blue Mountain. We are proud of our facility and proud of our team of associates. Although our facility has some minor scars inflicted from our five years of operation our maintenance team works dilligently to remedy these concerns as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we are no longer a "new" hotel but our property can match the best in our competitive set.

The only assertion that I would question from your review of the Westin Trillium is that our rates have "steadily increased" over the years. Believe it or not our average rates have actually dropped over the past two years though to be honest you would not know that if you were travelling over a long weekend as peak demand usually equates to peak pricing. This of course may serve to back your recommendation to stay mid-week when the Village is a little less vibrant and prices can sometimes be lower.

Thank you once again for taking the time to complete this review as copies have already been circulated to our associates. Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to discuss your concerns further and I do hope that you will return to the Village at Blue and the Westin Trillium House at some point in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

It's the nicest hotel at the Blue Mountains (Intrawest ski "village", a mini-Whistler), but it was so far below the level I expect of a Westin or of a four star hotel.
The good: The one bedroom loft suite was large, beds comfortable 3 tvs, separate tub and shower, and a big balcony overlooking Blue Mountain. Ok value for money. Oliver & Bonacini Grill was decent.
The not-so-good: Service was pretty much non-existent. Nobody volunteered to park the car. Nobody asked to help with luggage. Check in staff were aloof. No kids amenities were offered, despite seeing other kids with them. No kids menu for room service breakfast, and a request for a waffle (on the restaurant menu) was refused - apparently because the "quality could not be guaranteed". I have never had a hotel turn down these kind of reasonable requests.
The disgusting: The pool was cloudy, and there was all kinds of debris at the bottom of the pool. It made my skin crawl. This was unchanged through three days, and I never saw anyone cleaning the pool. Why did I continue to swim? The kids loved it. Not nearly enough pool chairs though, no lifeguard, and two out of three days I had to hunt to find any pool towels. Cleanliness was an issue at several points in our stay: lots of bird droppings on the balcony, garbage under furniture, and a room service tray that sat in the hallway for many hours. Kids club (small room with toddler toys) had toys strewn everywhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Good Afternoon No_Hills,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback via our friends at TripAdvisor. Your comments were both positive and negative and in this industry we learn to take the good with the bad as any kind of feedback helps us to further our product and service offerings. Based on your descriptions we clearly have not lived up to your expectations and I would agree with the title of your review that we "sure aren't a Four Seasons" though we sometimes aspire to be. You have my personal apology for the lackluster experience provided to your family at check-in and throughout your stay with us and let me assure you that this is not our normal level of service standard.

Many of your comments correlate directly to occasional hiccups in service that can sometimes occur during peak periods. I am assuming that you visited The Village at Blue Mountain over the Canada Day Holiday which is our first busy weekend of the summer season. With it being early in the season we sometimes are still in the process of grooming our seasonal associates who have all the prerequsites of a stellar employee but have yet to utilize them fully or are as efficient at their tasks as they soon will be. Herein lies the value of your feedback and your perspective is important for their ongoing development. Housekeeping items missed, slower than normal towel service, toys strewn in our kids club room are all somewhat minor items of concern that we are confident have dissapeared this summer.

With respect to your concerns regarding our pool the issue is multi faceted and here too it relates to volume. Our apparent lack of pool furniture is actually planned. Although we have enough chairs and lounges to fill most of our available deck space sometimes our demand is greater than what is available. This is entirely due to the fact that by law we are only authorized to allow a set number of bathers in our pool and hot tubs at any given time and the only efficient way to control access is to limit allowable seating. Thankfully if our facility is at capacity there are several beaches in the area that can offer great bathing experiences (with a shuttle to one) and we are located in the centre of a destination resort that offers a multitude of activities for the family (including a water park next door to the hotel and coming this fall a mountain coaster).

Bather volume can impact water clarity but I can assure you that we test and maintain our facilities to the strictest standards. With respect to the "debris" noticed at the bottom of the pool I would agree that on first appearance it may look unappealing when in fact we have been dealing with a minor degradation of our white stone liner over time and the black marks that you see are simply small exposed areas of harmless concrete. We expect to be able to remedy this problem when our busy summer season winds down and can undertake a full renovation of the facility. You would also have to be up pretty early in the morning to see our associates doing a full clean of the pool as we schedule this task prior to 7am daily (though they do skim and undertake minor cleaning throughout the day).

I have passed your comments regarding our In Room Dining options to our restaurant facility for their review however I can assure you that any decision to omit an item from their menu has been based on the past experiences of our guests. They undertake what they feel is appropriate in ensuring that the guest experience is the best possible. We have also recently begun a program with the restaurant to ensure that those dining trays are removed as quickly as possible.

At the end of the day we did not live up to your expectations to which we have apologized and have undertaken steps to help remedy these concerns moving forward. When you wish to return to the Village at Blue Mountain and the Westin Trillium I would be happy to handle your booking personally so that I may ensure that your experiences live up to your (and our) expectations. Thank you once again for taking the time to pen your review.

Oakville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

I booked up to Blue Mountain spur of the moment - a few days before we actually went for a quick getaway for two nights. We in Oakville, ON so the drive is less than 2 1/2 hours and it's a scenic one too which is a plus.
I'm not really a one for 'fake' villages... but I think Blue Mountain has been done well - not as forced and fake as I thought it was going to be. The hotel by far looks* the nicest out of the whole village... and from what I've heard/seen it is inside as well.
The rooms really are fantastic - probably the reason to book this hotel. I booked a one bedroom suite for me and my two children (ages 12 & 16) yet when we got there, they had moved us into a two-bedroom suite! (This, I know was purely based upon chance/luck but it was a nice added luxury). The room we got was gorgeous. The bedrooms were very spacious - not cramped at all and they each had their own striking en-suite. There was a kitchen with an island (very nicely finished) and a eating, sitting and TV area. All of the furniture was top notch. Outside there was a big deck (We were on the top floor) so we had no one above us - the bad thing about that is that when it rained... we couldn't sit out.
The restaurant in hotel, Oliver & Bonnachini (sorry if I misspelled that) is one of the nicest restaurants I've been in - let alone one in a hotel! The food is delicious and the waitresses we had when we ate there were extremely helpful and eager to give us advice on what to choose food/wine wise - very nice.
The Lobby of the hotel is really well finished. They have got it right - down to small things such as the smell when you walk in - it had a nice, fresh smell about it - similar with other Westins we've stayed at over the years. There is lots of natural light due to the windows, and it is the only hotel across the "lake" from the village so it is nice and secluded. The construction is now finished (I went when it was still on and it wasn't so good).
The village of Blue is nice - a little small in terms of not a lot of choice of places to eat/shop at but the main thing is that it has a Starbucks! If you want to eat at less busy/overhyped restaurants go into Thornbury - about a ten minute drive from the Village. There is a lot of restaurants there which are not overpriced. You could actually spend a day in Thornbury - at the Pier, the beach, the nice lake-side cafe and then the Georgian Trail.
The pool at the Westin is... an interesting shape and limited compared to the 'water park' next door. You have to pay to get into the "Splash Pool" waterpark but if you are staying at the Westin it is half price so not that bad (still expensive though!).
Overall, If you are planning to go up to the Village at Blue - absolutely pick this hotel. There wasn't one thing that I didn't like about it and would recommend it to all types of vacationers! Loved it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear J123N123,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for such a glowing review of the Westin Trillium House and the Village at Blue Mountain. It is always a pleasure to hear from families that are able to experience and appreciate what the our Resort and surrounding communities have to offer.

I have to admit that not all of our guests are as lucky as yourselves with respect to room upgrades but we do our best to wow our patrons whenever possible. We have an extensive variety of suite types and we are pleased that your two bedroom version exceeded your expectations.

We have notified the team at Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill of your comments and given your solid review of their team they will forgive the spelling of Michael Bonacini's last name and truly hope to see you back again.

Your comments on the size and scope of the Village at Blue are well received and we are proud of the variety of offerings that our Resort has to offer and the Master Plan for the Village is constantly changing as the years go by. This is in response to the changing needs of our patrons and stakeholders and considering the fact that the Village will coninue to grow over the coming years we are excited for what is in store.

With your mind turning to a possible repeat visit I would like to suggest some other opportunities in addition to what you have already experienced in the community of Thornbury. The shops and restaurants of Collingwood are exceptional and Wasaga Beach is a must see in addition to the multitude of smaller communities all within a short drive of the resort such as Creemore, Meaford and even Owen Sound.

Thank you once again for your kind words. Our team of managers and associates are always pleased to hear when our guests enjoy themselves as it is gratitude such as this that attracted them to this industry in the first place.

toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I travel alot. We decided to stay at this hotel..the room was very nice with a deck out to the back..the weather couldnt be better for April. After what we thought was a great hotel, great price etc...when we returned home...a bill came in the mail, with over $400.00 in additional charges???...They claimed that we smoked in the room ($200.00 charge)...and that we STOLE THE COMFORTER COVER...not the comforter..just the cover...what the hell?..They sent us by email photos that the cleaning staff took after we had left the room...and said that we did this. Now, I am a business owner as is my husband...we are both in our 50's...it was their word against ours...what could we do..they had photos?.after we vacated the room of course....so what we thought was a great place for a great price..turned out to be over $1,000.00 for the weekend. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE VISIT THIS HOTEL!!! If you choose to stay there...I would suggest you take photos the moment you walk into your room..or they may pull this crap on you too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AGENTToronto
, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Dear AGENTToronto,

With our very first official response to a review on Tripadvisor.com I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in early April. Although I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Village at Blue Mountain and the Westin Trillium House it is dissapointing that the events that transpired after your departure have tainted your perception of our Hotel.

I can certainly understand your frustration with us after having received an additional bill for over $400 as described in your review. Please understand that our associates act based on the information that they have at hand as was the case with your stay. After 20 years in this industry I can describe first hand the strange and unique items that have been removed from hotel rooms in every property in which I have managed and so the loss of a duvet cover is surprisingly not that uncommon. With that being said however, my understanding is that after your telephone conversation with our Manager on Duty we reversed the additional charges for the misplaced linens as this possibly could have been an error made by our Housekeeping Team. You have my personal apology for the error in billing and the subsequent need to defend yourself.

The Westin Trillium House as a franchised affiliate of Starwood Hotels and Resorts prides itself on maintaining a 100% smoke free environment for our guests and associates and this is a standard across the Brand. Due to the fact that this policy is a strong selling point for our hotel we take every step possible to ensure compliance. Enforcement of this policy begins upon arrival when each of our guests receive an information card describing it and the fact that there is a $200 charge for those who choose to ignore it. This charge serves a dual purpose; 1) it acts as a strong deterant to in-room smoking and, 2) it helps defer the cost of the deep cleaning required to remove all traces of any latent smoke from a suite where smoking has occured. The application of this charge to a guest's account is corroberated with photographic evidence that smoking may have occured in a suite. The fact that most of our suites have either balconies or patios also makes it easy for those guests who wish to partake the ability to do so without contravening our policy. As with any policy there of course remains the possibility of mitigating circumstances to which I would be pleased to discuss this charge with you in person.

At the end of the day I hope that the information that I have provided in this response helps to clarify our actions and possibly soften the negative perception that you have of our hotel and our team. You have my apology with respect to the linen charges and hope that you will follow up with me personally regarding the smoking fee. Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review and please feel free to contact me at the number listed below should you wish to discuss this matter further.

the Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
#3 of 16 in Blue Mountains
Mountain Springs Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!