“no matter what the request, the answer is no”

Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Blue Mountains
GreenLeadersBronze level
toronto
“no matter what the request, the answer is no”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife Ann and me, relative newcomers to Canada having relocated from South Africa 18 months ago, decided at short notice to spend a few days over new year’s eve at Blue Mountain, Collingwood, Ontario, approximately an hour and a half drive from Toronto. We obtained an on-line booking for the period 29th December 2009 to 02nd January 2010; as we do not ski nor participate in any snow sports (being from Africa) we selected this establishment primarily for it’s spa facilities that were prominently advertised on the website. Well from the moment we arrived, despite having been promised telephonically (on two occasions ahead of time) that we’d be able to obtain an ‘earlier’ check-in, we were informed by the person on duty at the somewhat make-shift looking reception area that ‘no’ this was not possible – in such a negative rude off-hand manner that frankly left much to be desired. The was our first experience of what became a common response to most requests or enquiries at the Westin Hotel. Fortunately after refusing to accept either her response or her attitude, we were immediately granted a room by another hotel employee who overheard our exchange with her colleague. We then discovered that the well-advertised spa was closed for business – the reason given: simply that the person who’d managed it had ‘disappeared’ and they had thus elected to close it – at the height of the holiday season. Literally that was the unprofessional manner in which we were informed of this turn of events – no apologies, no notice on the web-site, no alternative arrangements, nothing, just an indifferent shrug. Our room or rather ‘our suite’ was that in name only – it was simply the most basic tardy, tatty and tired-looking room that either of us had encountered anywhere in a long time – let alone at the rate we were being charged. Although supplied with two warm bottles of water (at an outrageous rip-off cost) we had to request soaps, plus other bathroom supplies such as towels, shampoos, body lotions, etc., a robe and clothes hangers for the closet, the so-called 24 hour (again as advertised) room service menu (there wasn’t even a room-service menu available) was a disgrace, whilst the empty bar-fridge adequately summed up the attitude of Westin and the standard of the hotel. The subsequent half-hearted ongoing servicing of the rooms each subsequent morning merely exacerbated this feeling. Similarly the equally prominently advertised exterior heated pool was at best luke-warm, whilst the so-called heated pathway to this pool was a joke. The hotel’s (sole) restaurant (‘Oliver & Bonacini Café Grill’) was limited but good, with some excellent dishes on the menu, albeit that the rudeness of one of the waitresses encountered on a number of occasions (specifically on two successive breakfast servings) left somewhat much to be desired – and certainly is not reflective of the standard of Messrs Oliver & Bonacini. However with only one restaurant, a pathetic room service menu, a limited hotel cocktail bar (with invariably only a single barman on duty at any time, despite the overcrowded nature of this area), a totally non-existent shop, it’s truly does not live up to its claim of being a ski-resort – or what one expects from such a resort. And despite being lead to believe that we’d receive expert advice and guidance apropos ski instructions, rental of ski gear, etc., there was a complete lack of information accompanied by a total attitude of indifference obtainable from the hotel. Incidentally we left a day early as asides from being totally disenchanted with the hotel and it’s extremely poor facilities, I inadvertently injured my leg in a snow-mobile accident necessitating my return to Toronto for medical treatment – however what was truly shocking was to discover that there was a total lack of any medical support or supplies available at the hotel, and furthermore no-one had any vague idea as to whether any such facilities even existed in the actual Blue mountain village – astonishing considering this is after all a ski resort. The overall impression of the village was of one that appeared like a makeshift film set (i.e. temporary and unauthentic), whilst the hotel over-promised yet simultaneously under delivered on every level – quite a feat to achieve. Westin and Starwood need to seriously improve their services on every level, we would certainly never return nor recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ohjaygee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

6 of us stayed in a two bedroom suite over the New Years and had a wonderful time. The place is well located and well designed.....yes, there was a shortage of robes, yes, when the place is booked to capacity you will have trouble finding luggage carts....yes it was impossible for the staff to clean all the rooms every day...half the place changed over each morning.......we found the staff happy and helpful but profoundly overworked given a capacity hotel at New Year's.....restaurant (O and B) expensive but terrific and not out of line........I agree with what other reviewers have said.......if you want and expect 5 star service you would not have got it last week.....my recommendation to the hotel is to more properly prepare for the holiday onslaught and staff the place more appropriately.....having said that, if you lower your expectations it is a great place to call home for a few days and a terrific spot to party in a great little resort complex.....I would think it would be ideal for families or larger extended families.....My hope is that the hotel reviews this website and makes some simple changes to bring the service up to what people expect from a Westin Hotel.......but.......we all had a great time and I cannot be too critical....the folks that were there worked as hard a humanly possible to keep up with the requirements of a hotel full of demanding people with 5 star expectations. Next time bring your own robes, carry your own bags to the car, haul all your ski stuff off your bed and throw it together yourself, open the window and enjoy the spectacular view, make yourself a Bloody Mary, light up the fireplace and enjoy a pretty cool hotel in a great winter resort. We travel a lot and have seen good and bad hotels everywhere. We had a great time over the New Year at the Westin Trillium.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

We have stayed at Westin Trillium from December 27 to January 1.
The plan was to enjoy the holidays in four-star hotel. I am familiar with westin but this place does not reach standards of any Starwood hotels. I wouls simply rate them as two-star hotel.
They did not have enough luggage carts, so we had to wait when we arrived and when we left too. They did charge vallet parking for five days while we used it only once on tehd ay of arrival.
They did not have rollaway bed although we made such a request at the time of booking.
The worst part was a room service and hotel amenities. They did not have laundry bag. We constantly run out of the soap despite asking for more than one piece a day for three people. We found one bathrob at arrival and it was never replaced.
We noticed bad smel few times. Overall, hotel staff seems to be untrained.
There were no inside pool, small gym etc, poor business center etc.
I can go on with the examples but it would be easier to day in the single sentence:
we felt that we stay in two-star or at maximum three-star suites hotel
This hotel cannot be named Westin as it maked very bad impression about a good brand.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, booked with points and I have to say that this hotel offers a classic Westin experience. The location is ideal; the hotel is close to everything without being in a high traffic area and it has a great view of the village. The heated outdoor pool is offering an unforgettable experience; swimming under the open skies when you have below zero temperatures outside is quite exciting. The staff is professional, the hotel and rooms are clean, and everything works like a well-oiled machine. This hotel will definitely become a fixture for my future Blue Mountain stays.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Don't get me wrong, I like Blue Mountain for what it is. There's not many places to ski close to Toronto. But compared to Whistler or Aspen, it's a bunny hill. But I didn't think the size of the hill would determine the type of service we got at the Westin. We took our whole family there for the Christmas break and just wanted to relax over the holidays. It was amateur hour there. They should be stripped of their Westin brand. They were under-staffed, the employees were rude (I understand people don't like working on Christmas, but they could at least be civil), they ran out of everything (we couldn't get a pull out bed or a robe for the life of us - not even one of us got a robe for one day...and the hot tub is outside), they tried to over-charge us whenever they could (they put valet parking on our bill when we didn't use the service), they consistently gave us three towels for a room with four people, they couldn't seat us at the restaurant (they said it was booked, but there were open tables everywhere), when we did get to eat there, the food was mediocre at best, they charge for wireless internet in 2009, and the hotel doesn't even have decent amenities (it was minus twenty and they only had an outdoor pool and a luke warm outdoor hot tub - there is an indoor pool attached, but they've put it under a different company name and charge you $14 a person with a 10% discount for hotel guests).

To top it all off, we forgot our laptop power chord in the hotel room and when we called the next day, the maid service hadn't turned it in. They said they would call us back and never did. So after one of the worst hotel experiences I had in years, they had the nerve to steal from us. I will never go back to a Westin hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Alnoor L
st.catharines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2009

After reading some of the reviews that werent so great, I had to give speak up and say what a wonderful place this place is. I am generally speaking a very hard to please guest, I expect alot when I stay in hotels and usually leave dissatisfied. This is never the case for Westin Trillium House.

I am a repeat guest and come here all the time for 3-4 nights and I am never disappointed. The staff has always been so friendly and accommodating. My special requests are always taken care of, and have never been told something cannot be done. I love the in room Starbucks coffee, and there is a fridge so I can bring my own real milk or cream. We have always stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, and love to make breakfast in the kitchen and have my coffee on the balcony afterwards.

In my opinion the best view is that of the pool, which if you have that is also a view of the pond and village. This resort is great to come in the summer or winter. Summer there are magicians and entertainers nearby in the village for the kids, and watersports in the pond. Winter is great too of course, as they are right on the mountain, and minutes walk to the ski lift.

This is a great resort, very romantic for a couples getaway, but at the same time alot of fun for the kids too.

I will be back again in a month or so.

Feel free to msg me if you have any questions I will give you an honest answer

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

My boyfrined and I stayed for 2 nights and we absolutely loved it! We had a 1 bedroom suite that overlooked the pool and village and it was so relaxing and romantic. We will definitly be back. We also spent some time at Le Scandiave Spa which was amazing, the best massage I have ever had! We ate at Copper Blues, KayToo & Wild Wings and all were great!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
#3 of 16 in Blue Mountains
Mountain Springs Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!