“Pricey but Well Run and Good Location”

Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Blue Mountains
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Pricey but Well Run and Good Location”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Trillium in Blue Mountain resort July 4/5. It's a very pretty hotel located in a perfect spot near the square however a little pricey. The rooms are somewhat expensive given that you have to pay for parking and also for the internet. The rooms are nicely done and the kitchenettes are surprisingly well-stocked with thoughtful items (like dish detergent and a toaster). They are well furnished and although not huge, everything is laid out very nicely and you have all that you need. Great beds and pillows - very comfortable and clean. Unfortunately the hallways in this hotel are most depressing and dark - not entirely sure why however the ski crowd in winter likely dictated the coloring of the floors. This pretty hotel could do better on that score. The service here was outstanding (ate at O&B restaurant in the hotel which was great) but the summer crowd is more family friendly and I don't know if I would recommend this particular place for an adult only crowd. The pool was very busy although there is a children's pool so it would not be an ideal place for pure relaxation as the resort is busy and the square caters to evening movies more appealing to a young audience. That being said it is a great place for families as it was apparent much consideration was given to ensuring children were entertained. Had a nice stay there and was impressed with the efficient running of this hotel and the ease and convenience at checkin. The front desk was great and very helpful. Can guarantee that the Westin is never disappointing so it is always a favorite choice when looking at hotels.

Room Tip: Certain rooms can be a very long walk from the elevator if there are seniors in your party with walk...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Debra E,

Thank you for taking the time comment on July visit to the Westin Trillium House and the Blue Mountain Village. We are pleased that for the most part you enjoyed your time with us and that in general your accommodations met with your approval. We do hope to see you again soon. Just a reminder for those readers out there that although we do charge for parking in our temperature controlled underground garage there are plenty of complimentary options nearby (just not necessarily as convenient). Similarly for those interested we do offer complimentary WiFi access in our Lobby, Pool Area, Restaurant & Business Centre. You did hit the nail on the head as Blue Mountain Resort and the Westin Trillium House are humming with energy during our busy Summer and Winter ski seasons. Families are drawn to the entertainment, annimation, and activities and for those wishing a quiet romantic retreat these may not be the best times to visit. September and Early to Mid October or even Late Spring would be much better options for those wishing a quiet retreat as for the most part are family travellers are otherwise occupied. Thank you once again for commenting and we do look forward to a return visit.

The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
toronto
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was recently at the Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain for a conference. I was so delighted from the moment I was greeted at the front entrance. The hotel is beautiful with warm and friendly staff. They know the drive up can sometimes be gruelling during the peak of cottage season. I had checked into a two bedroom suite on the 5th floor with my colleague. We're were pleased that we not only had separate bedrooms but bathrooms as well! The suite had high ceilings and a modern living room area that was very spacious. A fireplace was set into the walls surrounded with marble that would no doubt be enjoyed during ski season! Our suite also came with a perfect full sized kitchen and dining area. But the bed! Oh! yes! Westin's famous Heavenly Bed won me over once again.

The resort is perfect for business and pleasure. Outdoor yoga in the fresh Canadian morning air is not to be missed! Kids will also love looking for tadpoles and frogs at the pond. Shoppers will love the Canadiana stuff in the Blue Mountain Village just steps away from the hotel.
And great restaurants are everywhere! Hello Oliver & Bonacini right in the Westin!

It's not just a ski resort...this is a four-season hotspot perfect for quick getaways. Lots of outdoor activities to do in the summer and a beach near by. Go on a segway tour, challenge yourself to the high ropes, visit the famous Scandinave Spa nearby. Take a day trip and do the Apple Pie Trail and visit local restos and shops. Cafe Chartreuse, Heavenly Sweets are yum!!!

If you love checking out local artists make sure you visit the Tremont Studios! I spent a few hours there chatting with the artists in residents. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear sd28,

Thank you so very much for your over the top commentary regarding your recent visit to Blue, the Trillium House and the region in general. Your thorough and detailed information should prove exceptionally helpful to our Tripadvisor readers. In essense we couldn't have said it better ourselves. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time away and we certainly look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great service! We got a complimentary upgrade to a unit that had a den. This worked out perfectly with the baby. He had his own room :) Great location. A quick walk to the village and restaurants. The pool/hot tub area is awesome. So nice and relaxing. They even have water toys for the kiddies. Very well stocked kitchenette. Beds are soooo comfy! No surprise that they're called "Heavenly". We'll definitely come here again. We all had a great vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the village/pool on the higher floors have a great view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gr8ServicelsKEY,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your Summer visit to the Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain. We are so very pleased that our associates were able to assess your needs and provide the service experience that your family was looking for. We certainly look forward to seeing your family again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We vistited the Westin for a wedding this past weekend. First time there, also the last. For $280 a night I expected more than what I felt we received. Front desk staff were like robots. Borderline rude as they demonstrated zero interpersonal skills. Greeters at Oliver and Bonnacini were also super-serious beings and took themselves very seriously. Apparently to work in the building means you are a vey important person.
As we were there for a wedding, we needed to be in our room preparing before 430pm, which was also quite difficult because front desk staff told us we could not get to our room before 4pm. We had to ask them to take our bags to hold for us. The guy that came and got them was jovial enough.
The room was standard, the ceiling light was crooked and the blinds were difficult to open and close. The bed however was INCREDIBLY comfortable. It was very clean, but so are most hotels over $100. The next morning we debated asking for a late check-out, but couldn't be bothered with the indifferent attitude of the staff, so we just packed and left. We have stayed at the Blue Mountain side of things for half the price and double the service.
We just won't return to a Westin. End of Story.

1 Thank hannah m
Dear Hannah M,

Thank you for your very candid perspective regarding your personal experiences while visiting the Trillium House. You most certainly have my personal apologies for our failure to process your arrival by our prescribed check-in time. From time to time business volume can impact our ability to clean and process our larger suites in as timely a manner as possible. I was however able to confirm your account information based on the information that you have provided in your review. I can confirm that your request for an early arrival was received by our Service Express staff. There was unfortunately a break down in communication between that department and Housekeeping which delayed the processing of your suite. My understanding is that due to the delay and frustration experienced that our Manager on Duty made every effort to help mitigate your concerns. I do hope that the complimentary upgrade from a standard suite to a full two bedroom suite made your stay more comfortable (we have passed along your comments regarding the crooked lamp shade and sticky drape pull to our maintenance department who remedied the concerns in a matter of minutes - thank you for bringing them to our attention).

I was very surprised by your comments regarding our associates at the desk and those working in the restaurant. A quick review of this site and others would indicate that your experiences are clearly the exception to the rule and definitely not normal for this team and this property. Thank you however for bringing these moments to our attention as your perspective will make for a wonderful training opportunity for our front line team.

In the end we failed to live up to your expectations and we are dissapointed that you have chosen not to return. If by chance you change your mind please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure that your arrival and stay experience are up to our usual standards.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a suite with a balcony, we had a well equipped kitchen,the village was a short walk where there were many restaurants.there was a boating lake, crazy golf and a luge ride.
Would recommend the resort couldn't fault it

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank brianandmarg
Dear brianandmarg,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the Westin Trillium House and Blue Mountain Resort. We are exceptionally pleased that the hotel and resort amenities met your expectations and we do hope to see you back again soon.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2013

So I have stayed at this hotel many, many times. The General Manager and most staff are fantastic. If you read most reviews on this property many people seem to complain about the cost of parking... I travel every week and this is really no different then any other high end property. If you want free parking - there is a sand lot very close to the hotel that I have used many times.

Rooms are all really nice... very large compared to many other properties. Pool and hot tubs are great! Towel service is excellent as well at the pool - compared to the JW Marriott Muskoka which gives you something close to a facecloth LOL.

Food in the hotel restaurant has always been excellent. My room service experiences have been hit or miss. Didn't use it this stay though.

My biggest issue at this property has always been the "Late Check-out" policy. As a SPG Gold/Platinum member almost every SPG property I have stayed at allows a late check-out as per member benefits. At this property - almost never happens. And if it does you don't find out until the last morning meaning you have to get up to see if you "win".

A couple of weeks ago I was in Detroit at the Westin Airport and saw a bunch of signs talking about the Westin weekend promotion which included a late check-out. Said Property participation was varied. But I thought I would book the Westin Blue Mountain and see if they do. To my surprise I actually received this cool email post reservation from the Westin Blue Mountain saying:

Thank you for choosing The Westin Trillium House Resort. As a Gold member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more! To ensure we enhance your experience in the most appropriate way, please let us know which Gold Member benefit you value most by filling out the form to the right... it gave me the option to pick one Gold Benefit as well as a Welcome Gift (Free Beverage, Points or Free Internet). The choices were:

Room upgrade to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites
Late checkout - 4 p.m. late checkout, so you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you’re visiting
Early check in - Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival
Preferred mountain or village view
Top floor or ground floor

I chose the late check-out. No where in this email does it say anything about the late check-out being based on availability. The only * is:

Upgrade based upon availability.
Rooms are limited, and blackout restrictions may apply.
Confirmation required 48hr in advance.

So now - I think - well... I'm Gold and the Westin has this late checkout promotion about Relaxing Westin Weekends - for sure they can do a late check-out. Nope.

Arrived for check-in. Told that I was actually upgraded to 1 Bedroom Den Suite. Nice! I mention the late check-out... before I even finish the sentence the check-in agent tells me that that property does it based on availability and I won't know up the next morning. I tried to explain to her the email I got. I even tried to show her it from my phone. There was no explaining it. During this time she's actually almost laughing at me... it was very frustrating. She finally says "If you want the late check-out then I am down-grading you to a basic room". I told her - fine. That's all I wanted from the beginning. Anyway - A manager hears her say this and comes over and apologizes and gives me the room and late check-out. Very nice of her... beyond what I wanted. But the point here was that for a "Relaxing Westin Weekend" - mine started off with 10 minutes of fighting for something that they heavily advertise. They say they don't participate in the Westin Weekend; however, the room key they gave me had an ad about it. And then they had signs about it in the lobby, eating area, pool entrance, etc... (pics attached). I don't know if this is a hotel issue or a Westin corporate issue. But these large corporations that try this false advertising crap are becoming very annoying. Westin could learn something from Hyatt - a 4 pm late check-out is just that. No fighting - they just do it. No questions asked for their top tier members.

8 Thank sjhanlon
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear sjhanlon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed and thorough perspective regarding our policies and procedures here at the Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain. Although I am pleased that your opinion of the hotel, our team and myself personally fall within the positive spectrum I am somwhat dissapointed that our inability to offer a pre-determined late check-out has coloured your perspective of this hotel and the brand so deeply. You clearly have an understanding as to how I and my team operate given the fact that we have communicated with each other several times in the past and you most certainly have my personal apology for our failure to live up to your expectations.

Your post actually is quite timely as I have recently returned from our Westin Global GM's Conference held last month in Boston. At this event I had the opportunity to converse with Westin General Managers from around the world. I was not surprised to hear that Westin Weekend programming and SPG perks are in fact offered in a similar manner at all of our Westin "resort" properties. Each one of our resort properties experience similar pressure points with respect to late check-outs, early arrivals, the need to clean and process larger suites and the volumes seen on weekends when compared to what a city centre Westin might experience. It is for these reasons that these types of programs are always offered with the subject to availability tag line as it is sometimes logistically impossible to offer these perks and privilages 100% of the time. For our property this means that for 12 to 15 weekends throughout our busiest seasons we would not necessarily be able to offer a late check-out. However with that being said we are in fact able to offer this perk to a large proportion of our guests who request it but are clear in our communications not to expect it on long weekends or throughout holiday periods.

To clarify our agent's interaction with you at the desk her suggestion to downgrade you to a smaller suite was actually an attempt to guarantee you a late check-out for your departure day. The specialty suite that you were initially upgraded to on a complimentary basis prior to your arrival was actually one of only 10 in the hotel and all of these were reserved for arrivals the day of your departure. Therefore a downgrade into a smaller One Bedroom Suite (of which we have 80) would have guaranteed you that late check-out. I have a sense that perhaps there was some mis-communication in the way that this was described to you.

In the end I was pleased to hear that you were provided the late check-out that you so desired and have offered you our apologies for the time it took to confirm. I do hope that you understand that this is not a "Brand" problem per se but rather one that is derived from the differences between a program that can be offered with varied levels of success at urban and resort properties. The Westin Detroit Airport has a much greater ability to offer a late check out on request based on their flow of business, their larger size and the limited room type offering when compared to a 224 unit, all suite, resort property that often sees half its room inventory flip every night for the months of July and August with occupancies exceeding 85-90%. We fully recognize and acknowedge that a late check-out or early arrival are beneficial to the guest experience and will always attempt to offer them but only when logistically feasible and where it will not impact our arriving guests.

Thank you once again for reaching out to our Tripadvisor readers as it has affored me the opportunity to discuss in an open forum what to expect when visiting a bustling four season resort. This will off course allow our future and returning guests the insight to ask ahead and plan accordingly. Please do feel free to reach out to me personally if you would like to discuss this matter further as I believe that you still have my email address.

Markham, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Gorgeous property. Great room, nice bathroom, kitchenette is well stocked, the Starbucks coffee was great. nice swimming pool and hot tub, good access to village and activities. Free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank funfuntravel36
WestinGM1498, General Manager at Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear funfuntravel36,

We are very pleased to have lived up to your online namesake and happy that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Trillium House. Thank you for taking the time to post and we certainly look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Mountains
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
#3 of 16 in Blue Mountains
Mountain Springs Resort and Conference Centre

Been to Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!