“Excellent value”

Embarc Blue Mountain
London, Ont
“Excellent value”
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Excellent room and facilities - excellent value for reasonable price - large room with fireplace, fridge, sink, coffee maker, etc. - big balcony - free wireless internet with easy connection.

Short walk to village - would stay again

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — wait to check in at 4:00 pm
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Derek_London_Ont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Connecticut
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We booked our time here as it is an RCI resort, and we are members. There weren't many reviews to read, so I really went by what I saw looking at the website and the fact that they are "gold crown" (the highest distinction for a resort in the RCI system). It took us ten hours to drive up to Collingwood, so we were exhausted when we got there (driving that far with two young, energetic boys - whew!). Things didn't start out well when I was told that we did not get the top floor as I had requested THREE times when I called before we arrived. Unfortunately, this place currently only has eight two-bedroom units, and as we checked in later (7:00 p.m.), I guess there were none available. Well, we had had a terrible experience at Orange Lakes in FL with people above us, and I'd sworn we'd never under anyone again if we could help it. Well, my worst fears were realized. Unfortunately, most of these timeshare resorts are very poorly constructed. I do know this for fact, as my husband is a contractor, and he's always pointing this out to me. But when you can fairly clearly hear the voices above you and hear every little bang and step...it's no fun. Well, the worst part is between midnight and 2:00 a.m., our neighbors above us sounded like they were moving furniture. Literally. It astounds me how inconsiderate and ignorant some people are. I'm always admonishing my children to keep their voices down and not run or jump to be considerate of our neighbors. Finally, I complained when it occured for the third night in a row, and I heard the security people go up and speak to them. About a half hour after that (probably they'd given us enough time to fall back asleep), the people came over directly above us and pounded on the floor four or five times. The petty vindictiveness of this absolutely shocked me. While this resort is aesthetically beautiful, this really ruined our trip. The nice thing about being on the bottom floor, especially in this resort, is that you have this lovely front porch to sit on, and you can walk right out to the pool. Believe it or not, after these people above us checked out, the people that came in for the last two nights of our stay were even worse, if that's possible. They had three little boys, who at 1:30 a.m. were running around like maniacs. Again, is there no more common consideration anymore at all??? The only other thing I can say is that the people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. They were sympathetic to our problem and seemed just as shocked as we were at these people's behaviour. The family pool is smaller than the adult pool (which doesn't make much sense to me), and even with only a few people in it, there wasn't much room for the boys to play in it.

The Blue Mountain Village (a ten minute walk away from the condos) is lovely, but VERY overpriced. Also, there are a few discounts available at a few of the stores and restaurants up there, that can help if you DO venture up there to shop or eat, but be sure to check your handbook in your room before you go, because they don't ask you at the restaurant or shop if you are staying at the resort - probably because they'd rather not give you the discount. Hate to sound cynical, but...

We loved the Scottish Piper restaurant for breakfast in Thornbury (only about ten minutes away). Nice service, reasonable prices and good breakfast items. Our favorite place, though, was Catch 22. FABULOUS seafood, GREAT service.

My boys did go on a mountain biking tour up in the Village. My boys are nearly 10 and nearly 12 and went with my husband. While they are used to biking all around our house, none of them do actual mountain biking, so while it took some cajoling, they were SO much better off doing it with a guide. It was just they three and the guide, and they LOVED it.

If you want any further information about this area, please don't hesitate to contact me! I'd love to be of help to someone else. I wish I'd had someone to contact before I went! :o)

• Liked — The loveliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — The poor construction of the building and the noisey and inconsiderate people above us.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank doozer82
Barrie, ON Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We stayed in a studio unit with our two-year old daughter. This is probably the nicest studio unit I have ever seen. The layout allows for more privacy than most. We were able to put our daughter to sleep in her play pen behind a decorative wall in the unit and still watch TV without disturbing her. We enjoyed the hammock (although we had to request it and wait two days to get it) and Muskoka chairs on the porch.

The entire resort is beautiful. We enjoyed the Boathouse lounge, the large sand box, the family hot tub, and the spa. The Village at Blue Mountain is a short stroll away, with great restaurants and shops.

The only challenge we had was finding enough to do with a two-year-old. Two year olds want to swim, climb, or be entertained. Neither of the two pools were open yet (even though temperatures were between 25 - 28 Celsius), there was no children's playground other than the sandbox, and there were no organized activities. The resort really assumes that all guests are interested in mountain activities like mountain biking and hiking. Unfortunately, we couldn't have done that even if we wanted to, as the childcare at Blue Mountain wasn't open. There is a waterpark at the Village, but it was closed for a few weeks of cleaning. We had to travel to sort-of-nearby Cranberry Resort and pay to use their pool, which needed some maintenance and had no children's swim area.

We got a great deal for this vacation (probably because it was off season), so we didn't leave unsatisfied. I can't say that we would pay full rate to come here, or that we would purchase here. We'll just come back to visit the Village for the day.

• Liked — The beautiful units, gorgeous grounds, well-designed and decorated resort, proximity to the Village
  • Disliked — Not enough to do for young ones.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank LoveTimeshares
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2007

This is a high-quality, well-appointed self-catering option walking distance to the Village at Blue Mountain...
Likes: loads of space, high-quality furnishings, gas fireplace, helpful staff, decent fitness centre & outdoor hot tub
Dislikes: no ski lift discount for non-owners, no jacuzzi jets in bathtubs, wonky appliances (promptly replaced)
Expensive eating options in the Village (Firehall good basic choice); excellent options in Collingwood (San Diego Italian, Siamese Gecko Thai among others). Large Loblaws food store in C'wood with on-site cigar shop. Nearby nordic ski options include Scenic Caves and Blueberry Trails (Wasaga Beach)

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Gary L
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed March 15, 2007

BIG TIP *** This is a members only resort - Visit ClubIntrawest's website for more info on their other GORGEOUS resorts world-wide, Members Only. Well worth the money if it suits your lifestyle. My boyfriend and I are self-employed and we are looking forward to our future travels to their Top Rated "Vacation Homes" after having purchased a 1 year membership (which, for whatever reason, they were reluctant to offer over the $20,000 package. Go fig. )

Anyways, a GREAT and almost secret way to get in there for cheaper than the @250/night they charge, go to Shoppers Drug Mart and search their Life Experiences section. They have pre-paid packages for GREAT deals. Our 2 night stay package included 2 day passes to the spa as well, and our massages were discounted almost $50! The whole pre-paid Life Experiences gift card was $299 +tax. Look online- you won't find any cheaper.

I've read a lot of reviews on all the Club Intrawest resorts and, like me, a lot of ppl get confused when they arrive. It looks like a hotel, but isn't. There's not usually room service, no daily changing of the linens, no 'leave your towels in the tub if you want them replaced'. On the other hand, there ARE free laundry facilities. Soap provided too! I was delighted! :P

We stayed for 3 nights in a breath-taking studio suite. Our jaws struck the floor upon opening the door and feasting our eyes on the enchanting suite that was to be our home for the next few days. The room smelled strangely of curry -(this was noted by front desk reception but not acted upon-) but was otherwise a sophisticated yet comfy-cozy love den.

We spent the following afternoon at the Presentation centre where we were happily entertained and educated by Wayne Larkin. He was very personable, friendly and courteous for the duration of our tour. Upon completion of the presentation, my partner and I purchased our 1-year Membership with little prompting.

In the mood to celebrate, we enjoyed dish after dish of culinary splendor from the chef(s) at The Huron House not far down the road in downtown Collingwood. We rented a movie and spent quality time together in the soothing 2 person tub in our generous sized bathroom.

The next day we were to succumb to the pleasures of the re-known outdoor Spa, Le Scandinave. OIt was only a few blocks away. Our visit started with an hour-long full body massage by the very professional RMTs on staff. Heavenly. We lingered for hours while all stresses melted away in the various hot baths, cool dip ponds, eucalyptus steam room, wooden-stove sauna and pine-lined Relax rooms where a soft nature's song was the background as we gazed out floor-to-ceiling windows at the scenery of the serene outdoors.

We enjoyed a cat-nap in our oversized King sized bed (we were reluctant to go back home to our Queen :P ) often, and found it hard to get out of bed most.. okay ALL mornings.

That night, almost 12am we were confused hearing the fire alarm go off. We were to be transferred out of our beautiful studio into another building due to severe water damage from a burst pipe in the emergency sprinkler system. So reluctant to go, on top of dreading packing up our cozy room at 1am, we found ourselves readily assisted by the security and maintenence crew in the transfer of our belongings. Of course I never felt so guilty for overpacking as I did watching them haul my stuff downstairs, into our vehicle and then unload it and carry it up 2 flights of icy, outdoor steps to our new room.

Our new room was a 2 bedroom 'frat house', as we called it. It had a cozy feeling with gas fireplace in the living area opposite the large, well-equipped kitchen complete with gas stove and huge fridge.

The master bedroom had only a half-wall seperating the batub and sink, while the shower and toilet were hidden behind a pocket door to the side. The 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds end to end, and a nice entertainment unit with a tv- same as the master. The balcony was long and overlooked the pool- or so we were told. At that time it was covered by 3 feet of snow.

We were sad to leave the next day, but when we awoke, we had a message waiting from the Club Manager, Melissa Quinn with apologies for the unanticipated alarm and necessity to move us to another room. We were to call down to have a complimentary breakfast backet delivered to our room.

We opted for a buffet breakfast down the road at The Pottery, Blue Mountain's oldest restaurant at the Blue Mountain Inn. It was nice to have bacon and eggs as opposed to the other mornings we enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the great room on the main floor of the Lodge at the resort. It usually consisted of juices, assortment of muffins, tea biscuits, raisin bread, yogurts, fruits, hot oatmeal, cereals, coffee & tea. A bit overpriced at $12.95/pp but very convenient when your room is just up a few stairs.

All in all, this place exceeded even my high expectations overall. Service was excellent, even in emergency situations they were very professional and accomodating. We will be going back later this month for a night to enjoy some skiing before all the snow goes away.
**All Day/Night tickets are only $55 when you purchase them from the resort- a $55 ticket only allows you to ski until 4pm if you buy it at the slopes. **

Restaurants in the area worth checking out: Azura's, Huron House, The Pottery, Copper Blues in the village & Beavertails!

• Liked — Luxurious
  • Disliked — Very icy/snowy place, not much salting on ground
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Zana_di
Guelph, ON
Reviewed September 17, 2006

When my boyfriend and I walked into our room at Club Intrawest in Collingwood, we both ran around jumping up and down completely taken away by how beautiful our room was. Neither of us expected something so classy. Everything was so modern and decorated very cottage-like rustic, but at the same time was luxurious and just plain gorgeous. We stayed for one night to go biking and to spend time in the outdoors, but at night we just stayed inside our hotel room, drinking beer and sitting in the hammock that hung from our private balcony and overlooked the pool. I can't wait to stay again.

• Liked — The beautiful room and massive bathtub with jets..the fact that when we walked in there was jazz playing on our stereo! The location - right across the street from Blue Mountain.
  • Disliked — Apparantly this will eventually be a "members-only" resort which sort of sucks.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank msmall20
Niagara Region
Reviewed August 13, 2005

The hotel was fabulous! We had a little difficulty in finding where we were to check in since everything there seems to be named "Blue Mountain". We finally found the right place, and I'm glad we had booked it.

We got a beautiful room with a King bed for $139 CD and that included breakfast. The room was immaculate and plush. The bathroom had a separate shower and huge bathtub. The room also had a kitchen area complete with microwave, toaster and fridge.

What hubby and I liked most was that there were two pools and two hot tubs - one for adults and one for families. As we were travelling without our kids (rare occurance) we got to enjoy a nice peaceful soak in the adult hot tub.

If I get the opportunity again to stay in Collingwood, I will definitely stay at Club Intrawest. I don't think we'll ever be able to afford owing one of these vacation homes, but it's nice to stay there as a guest.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
#3 of 11 in Collingwood
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
The Lodges at Blue Mountain
#3 of 16 in Blue Mountains

Been to Embarc Blue Mountain? Share your experiences!