“Best Spa Experience in Ontario”

Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: The award-winning Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain offers the renowned Scandinavian Baths experience. Situated in a natural forest, minutes from downtown Collingwood & Blue Mountain Resort and open all year from 10am-9pm, guests enjoy the serenity of the environment. The Baths include a Finnish Sauna, Eucalyptus Steam Room, Thermal & Nordic Waterfalls, Hot Baths, Cold Plunges & relaxation areas. Also available are Registered Massage treatments, relaxing getaway packages & an on-site bistro serving healthy local fare. NEW in mid-January 2017 - Infrared Sauna & additional Relaxation Solaria
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Don't get this Spa mixed up with your local nails "Spa" or a day spa where you go to get a relaxation massage and be a chatty Kathy getting a mani-pedi. This is a serious spa experience modelled after European spas. I visited twice in Nov/Dec 2010 and was very impressed. Both times we booked a massage ahead of time and did not wait to enter the facility as can happen if they are at capacity since you can just show up and pay the baths entrance fee without getting a treatment.

The baths experience is to do the route of heating up your body with the outdoor hot baths and then move to either the steam room or sauna and then cool in the very cold plunge pool, rest and then repeat. The facility is outdoor with separate buildings for sauna, steam, relaxation. And several hot and cold areas with lots of capacity carved out of the middle of the forest in a very pretty setting. With lots of chairs around the hot pools, wood fire burning to complete the Scandavian experience.

I've been to a lot of Spas in Ontario to get massages and nothing compares to this. It makes any other top spa that is usually located at 5 star hotels just seem kind of pedestrian and claustrophobic.

Some tips - absolutely bring a robe and flip flops since they are not provided. To get the full experience, budget a lot of time - like at least 4 hours.
Do not come here if you cannot just be quiet and relax. If you like to goto spas and get a mani-pedi and be a chatty kathy - this is not for you.

You are not supposed to talk but that did not stop some people who disturb the vibe with their mumurs. Hats off to the staff who wandered the steam and sauna rooms and asked people to be quiet - although they didn't do that outside in the pools.

The massages include the entrance fee and therefore are somewhat overpriced - both times they were just ok massages - nothing remarkable.

I would say the only thing preventing me from giving this a 5 star rating is the changerooms which are really sub-par given the rest of the facility. They are bare concrete, wet to no surprise and just appear gross like a Holiday Inn pool changeroom. They should really consider upgrading them since it's not in keeping with the rest of the place which is great.

A lot of people looked like they never had gone to spas before to get treatments and were there to experience the baths and hot rooms. I am a big fan of the Montreal Le Scandinave which is an urban spa and a completely different experience but nothing else I've experienced in Ontario comes close to this.

BluesOntario, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain and we appreciate your comments about the Spa. In December 2010 we completed an expansion of our ladies change room. Though this does not change the capacity level of the bath experience it does offer more locker space for our female guests.

The floor in our change room is stamped concrete which is also used outside on the walkways. Concrete was initially chosen because of the radiant heat tubing underneath to make walking more comfortable, especially in the winter months.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

This place is an oasis. A little slice of paradise to calm your nerves and soothe your soul. May seem expensive, but we spent FOUR HOURS there and loved every relaxing minute. We had an early massage and then hung out in the various pool/sauna areas. Terrific. Might recommend that you end your day with a massage instead of starting with one, though. Only issue there is that you are then forced to keep an eye on the clock to make your appointed massage time (that's kinda lame). If you can expense claim the massage - even better! Worth the visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

I first went to Le Scaninav e on a voucher I bought in an auction. Took my friend as a 50th birthday celebration. We both got massages and then enjoyed the baths, soariums and fire area. I have to agree with many reviewers that the food choices are horrendous. One reviewer said a simple garden salad would be nice, I agree. i have not been able to embrace the idea of nuts, cranberries etc added to everything, give me a simple salad, vegie soup and recognizable meat sandwich. Way to fancy and gourmet for me.

My friend and I came back again last year and are planning on attending this year as well. This time we want to go in the fall in the late afternoon and evening. Never had any problem with staff or other guests(mind you I have to remove hearing aids to go in pool so people could have been shouting and I never would have known LOL) Very relaxing and soothing. Never having been to a European or other country for a spa I have nothing to go by but how I felt and to me it was awesome! Would and have recommended this to others. I don't understand teh complaints about price. I mean seriously where else can you find a place to enjoy, relax and feel great for only $44? Yes the food is expensive and in my opinion not worth the money but almost anywhere you go these days to try for some pampering or relaxing is going to cost you a lot more.

Come with an open mind and a dry towel!

Reviewed February 26, 2011

I live locally and visit the Scandinave often, find it just a blissful experience. However, thought I would post a review including those tips I give to my out of town visitors.
This spa is not your average North American spa, not a place to go and get a mani/pedi. It is a mainly Scandinavian outdoor relaxation experience of hot and cold baths, a terrific steam room, sauna ,outdoor firepits, Muskoka chairs and hammocks to snooze in. They do offer full body massages by RMT's. Avoid busy ski weekends...there can be wait lines and it does get very crowded, (expanded women's change rooms has helped) somewhat spoiling the whole tranquil effect. Patrons are asked to use their "indoor" voices and dreamy music is piped throughout. Make sure to try (brr) to plunge into the cold pools periodically, it is an intergral part of the experience. I have even seen some people rolling in the snow instead! Have a snooze in the solarium rooms, most of all this is a place to unwind. My favorite time to go is winter evenings.....bring your bathing suit, flip flops and a robe (available for rental). Hairdryers available. Lunch is nummy.

Reviewed February 3, 2011

Really Heaven- nice, relaxing place. I went with my friend- we spent 8 hrs including 1 hr massage. I have already recommended that place to my friends and I am coming back soon ( with my friends). Lunch was good, steam room and suna perfect, everything perfect