“Terrible Management!”

Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The award-winning Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain offers the unique Scandinavian Baths experience. Situated in a natural forest, minutes from downtown Collingwood & Blue Mountain Resort, guests are encouraged to enjoy the serenity of the outdoor environment year-round. The Scandinavian Baths include a new Infra-red Sauna, recently renovated Finnish Sauna, Eucalyptus Steam Room, Thermal & Nordic Waterfalls, Hot Baths, Cold Plunges, Fireplaces and expansive indoor and outdoor Relaxation Areas. Also available are Registered Massage reservations, getaway packages with local accommodators as well as a casual bistro serving healthy local fare. Scandinave Spa is open daily. The Baths are subject to capacity limits. We recommend visiting weekdays and evenings to avoid line-ups and long wait lists for access. Guests must be 19+ yrs old.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were driving for 4 hours to have a romantic Spa time. What a lovely idea, isn't it? We checked the website in advance & realized that there is no a reservation option. Ok. It also says that weekends are very busy. Ok, but we don't mind to wait an hour or so, it's ok. When we arrived around 3pm we were asked to wait around 4-5 HOURS!!!!!!! Whaaaaat? Yes... around 5 hours! The waiting list is for about 100 customers before us.
So... we left... terrible feeling... big disappointment!!! Such a waste of time & gas!!!
Dear Spa Management, please put some BIG LETTERS on your website saying that customers are supposed to wait up to 5 hours on busy days. Please, don't waste our time & money if you cannot provide a proper service!

9  Thank Axel B
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

We are sorry that your experience was not what you expected. We do have waitlists every weekend & holidays. The popularity of the Baths experience is not always easy to predict so the waitlist can be very long. We have information posted on our website and other promotional materials. We encourage guests to call the Spa ahead of their travel so we can help plan your visit and limit disappointment.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)
All reviews
"relaxing experience"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The snow was lightly falling, it was a beautiful white winter afternoon.

I got a couples massage as a birthday treat for my partner - 6 weeks of anticipation...and a failure to deliver a decent massage.

My partner and I were escorted to our couples room. The RMTs were kind and courteous but seems like they had very little interest in doing a good job. At one point my partner's RMT cracked his own neck, in the middle of giving a massage! My masseuse couldn't understand the difference of more or less pressure. It was beginning to feel tense in the room.

It was time to turn over and I looked over at my partner - we locked eyes - we agreed this massage was the worst - especially for such a great establishment.

Upon departing my partner is handed an envelope by his RMT, "Gratuity is not expected but it is appreciated." We never experienced this type of bad service and to be handed an envelope as if a good job was done.

My experience in Whistler was hands down breath taking and the lack of consistency is disappointing.

2  Thank Linda L

We are sorry that the Massage Therapists did not meet your expectations. Please call our Guest Service Manager to discuss your experience further. We would like the opportunity to have you both visit the Spa again.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been to the spa twice. Once with friends for my birthday and once with husband and friends. My friends, husband and I all enjoyed it thoroughly. The atmosphere is excellent, the baths are beautiful and the whole place is charming and inviting.
Spend a day there and you will feel refreshed and relaxed. It is a little piece of natural paradise!

Tips:
1. Arrive early! Wait lists are common even 10 minutes after opening. If you are on a wait list, don't go far. Some people seem to spend only about 2 hours right at opening.
2. Bring a water bottle
3. Bring a cover-up to wear to go upstairs for lunch
4. If you want to book a massage, call at least two weeks ahead.

I would suggest a couple things perhaps to the management:
1. Increase options for people who are allergic to gluten. As no outside food is allowed it is difficult for a person with dietary restrictions to find something to eat. Alternately, allow individuals who have restrictions to bring in their own food. Perhaps they are open to this, and I will inquire when I go next time.
2. Ask people who are engaging in overtly sexual behaviour to desist or leave. When I was there with my husband and friends there was a couple who were very obviously engaging in excessively intimate behaviour in the pools. It was very off-putting. Staff walked by but did not speak to the couple at any time that I observed and the inappropriate behaviour continued for at least an hour.

2  Thank JupieJune

Thank you for taking the time to recommend ways to use the spa and things we can do to improve. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited the spa for the day on New Year's Day, and had a great time.

The only negative thing about the whole process was the booking. When I called, I had to wait on hold for about 15 minutes to get through to someone, and when I did, she was totally disinterested: just not a positive first contact. I was also told that the only time they had available was 9:15 am - pretty early for New Year's Day - but when we arrived, they had later slots available. Not very happy with their booking person.

We were a little late for our appointment due to bad weather, but our massage therapists did their best to make the most of our time. Make sure you either arrive a bit early to fill out their health for, or print it from their website and fill it out at home to save time. The massage room was nice: they prewarm the tables for comfort.

After our massages we were able to go straight to the baths. Had a great time in the hot pools, the steam room, and the solarium. Very serene environment with beautiful nature views. It didn't feel too crowded either: there was plenty of space for the number of people there. The quiet policy is nice, but they do need to enforce it more. The talking in the solarium is annoying.

The changeroom was nice: lockers were spacious for belongings, and there are lots of shower cubicles and hairdryers: no waiting. There was someone clearing up towels and generally tidying all the time, which was nice.

We had coffee and biscotti in the spa bistro after we changed. That whole area just isn't restful: there are so many people waiting to get in, and people sitting around in wet clothing making a mess of the furniture. Very limited food selection, but the prices aren't outrageous. The bistro staff were very nice.

Before we left we stopped by the front desk to drop off tips for our massage therapists. Only one had given us an envelope, so I asked a blonde team leader in a red shirt for a replacement. She was extremely brusque, bordering on the rude. Just not food customer service.

Overall, a fun day and a unique experience. Customer service in booking and at the front desk could use some polish. We will be back.

3  Thank Althena80
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We appreciate your comments and have passed your posting to our Guest Service Manager and Team Leaders. We strive for high level customer service and apologize if we did not meet your expectations.