“Nice Treat on a Chilly Day”

Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: The award-winning Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain offers the renowned Scandinavian Baths experience. Situated in a natural forest, minutes from downtown Collingwood & Blue Mountain Resort and open all year from 10am-9pm, guests enjoy the serenity of the environment. The Baths include a Finnish Sauna, Eucalyptus Steam Room, Thermal & Nordic Waterfalls, Hot Baths, Cold Plunges & relaxation areas. Also available are Registered Massage treatments, relaxing getaway packages & an on-site bistro serving healthy local fare. NEW in mid-January 2017 - Infrared Sauna & additional Relaxation Solaria
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited the spa for the day on New Year's Day, and had a great time.

The only negative thing about the whole process was the booking. When I called, I had to wait on hold for about 15 minutes to get through to someone, and when I did, she was totally disinterested: just not a positive first contact. I was also told that the only time they had available was 9:15 am - pretty early for New Year's Day - but when we arrived, they had later slots available. Not very happy with their booking person.

We were a little late for our appointment due to bad weather, but our massage therapists did their best to make the most of our time. Make sure you either arrive a bit early to fill out their health for, or print it from their website and fill it out at home to save time. The massage room was nice: they prewarm the tables for comfort.

After our massages we were able to go straight to the baths. Had a great time in the hot pools, the steam room, and the solarium. Very serene environment with beautiful nature views. It didn't feel too crowded either: there was plenty of space for the number of people there. The quiet policy is nice, but they do need to enforce it more. The talking in the solarium is annoying.

The changeroom was nice: lockers were spacious for belongings, and there are lots of shower cubicles and hairdryers: no waiting. There was someone clearing up towels and generally tidying all the time, which was nice.

We had coffee and biscotti in the spa bistro after we changed. That whole area just isn't restful: there are so many people waiting to get in, and people sitting around in wet clothing making a mess of the furniture. Very limited food selection, but the prices aren't outrageous. The bistro staff were very nice.

Before we left we stopped by the front desk to drop off tips for our massage therapists. Only one had given us an envelope, so I asked a blonde team leader in a red shirt for a replacement. She was extremely brusque, bordering on the rude. Just not food customer service.

Overall, a fun day and a unique experience. Customer service in booking and at the front desk could use some polish. We will be back.

3  Thank Althena80
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We appreciate your comments and have passed your posting to our Guest Service Manager and Team Leaders. We strive for high level customer service and apologize if we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wife and I went for 3 hours in the baths followed by a Duo massage. Great experience start to finish.

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to post your review!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I visited the spa on Sunday, December 22. It was probably the 4th time I have visited the baths in as many years. All of my experiences have been during the winter months. I would say it's a good item to check off your bucket list, but I can't justify paying $140 for two people just to access the baths on more than one occasion. Blue Mountain used to give a 2 for 1 coupon when you would buy a season pass, but that perk was removed last year.

The baths are pretty relaxing, and if it's your first time going it's a good idea to try and follow the regimen (hot, cold, relax) to get the full benefit. The cold pool is really cold, I just suck it up for 10 seconds and when I finally relax in the solarium I can feel how hard my heart is beating. Your body will naturally tell you when you're ready to head back out and repeat the cycle.

I know this won't affect everyone, but in the solarium where it is supposed to be peaceful and quiet, unfortunately, more often than not you'll find too many people leafing through magazines, the turning of the pages is like nails on a chalkboard, or you'll find someone snoring away (loudly), or talking when they think they are whispering...the room has a way of magnifying the sound. Too many people are not respectful of the spa rules.

Also, during this last visit I noticed two ladies entering the hot pools fully clothed in what appeared to be street clothes.. I know there is a rule about taking a shower before entering, and I'm not sure how that rule can be applied when people are covered from head to toe. It appeared unhygienic to me.

A few tips:
- Be prepared to wait for hours on a Saturday
- Take advantage of the unlimited towel supply, just bring in your towels for two fresh ones when they get soiled. I didn't find out about this until my last visit.
- Best time to go is in winter around 3-4pm, so you can be there for dusk. It's the prettiest time of day! Bonus if it starts to snow gently! Super cool!
- Try the butternut squash soup, it's worth it!
- Bring flip flops and your own robe. Otherwise, robe rentals are $12.50+HST and you cannot get a fresh one when 1.5 hours into your bath experience you find yourself freezing because the robe is now soaked.

The place is pretty impressive, especially if it's your first time. Enjoy!

4  Thank Zoey D

Thank you for your review and helpful suggestions. The cost for accessing the Baths is $50/person, massage treatments start at $125/person. We regret that the 2 for 1 coupon for Ski Pass Holders at Blue Mountain Resort is no longer available - Blue changed their pass benefit format this year and we could not make it work for us.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I've been to this spa a number of times and keep going back. My favorite time of year to spend there is the winter months. The colder and snowier, the prettier and more enjoyable it is. My husband and I have received massages from the RMT's, but I wouldn't say its worth it. Avoid holidays weekends, it can get pretty busy.

1  Thank JetSetKrys
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

That you for your comments. We agree that winter is pretty special!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I booked this as a surprise for our anniversary. My husband is not a 'spa' kind of guy and he was not exactly thrilled about this gift. Once he got into enjoying the different pools, steam room, sauna and really started to relax he regretted putting a time limit on how long we were spending here. I have been told the winter experience is also enjoyable. We will go back again!

1  Thank Darlene1967

Men love this spa experience! We look forward to seeing you both again sometime soon.