“Spa baths were a great experience”

Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The award-winning Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain offers the unique Scandinavian Baths experience. Situated in a natural forest, minutes from downtown Collingwood & Blue Mountain Resort, guests are encouraged to enjoy the serenity of the outdoor environment year-round. The Scandinavian Baths include a new Infra-red Sauna, recently renovated Finnish Sauna, Eucalyptus Steam Room, Thermal & Nordic Waterfalls, Hot Baths, Cold Plunges, Fireplaces and expansive indoor and outdoor Relaxation Areas. Also available are Registered Massage reservations, getaway packages with local accommodators as well as a casual bistro serving healthy local fare. Scandinave Spa is open daily. The Baths are subject to capacity limits. We recommend visiting weekdays and evenings to avoid line-ups and long wait lists for access. Guests must be 19+ yrs old.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It's been a few weeks now and I am already thinking of when I can return to the hot/cold baths. I really enjoyed the experience overall. I thought I would feel uncomfortable walking around in my bathing suit but the guests are all respectful and everyone just keeps to themselves, adding to the overall relaxation I felt as there was no pressure to even make eye contact. My skin felt silky smooth at the end of the day.
The idea is to heat, cool and rest your body and repeat. There are three hot pools of different temperatures, a steam room, a sauna, two cold water plunge pools (plenty), muskoka chairs everywhere, two areas with hammocks and two indoor resting areas as well facing the woods. Reminder signs about silence were posted everywhere and guests respected that. Powerful hairdryers and body cream are available for use. The body cream is also sold at a counter near the entrance.
The spa cafe was spacious, comfortable and offered typical spa food - salads, light sandwiches, quiche, excellent tea selection and soups. I expected this to be overpriced but it was quite reasonable. It was okay to wear bathing suits in the cafe so I did, with just a towel around me and felt at home.
The changes that this spa could use are to update the change rooms and figure out a way to get rid of flies in the resting rooms outside. The lockers and washrooms remind me of those found in high schools. The toilets move! A spa commanding their prices should be in tip top condition. Most annoyingly of all, there were flies in the resting rooms of the hot / cold bath area. Yes, I know this spa is in the woods and there will be bugs but I am not against having a couple of bug zappers to get rid of the buggers. The flies actually sit on you and are relentless. Flies and spas do not belong together.
All in all, the experience of the hot / cold baths was excellent and I would love to return here and perhaps try a massage too. I am looking forward to the next visit.

TIPS:
1. No need to rent/purchase a robe in my opinion. Large towels are provided and can be swapped for a fresh/dry one at any time.
2. No need to bring water bottle. They have water fountains. I didn’t bother to use mine. It’s a bit of a hassel to bring it around.
3. Bring your own flip flops for the common areas.
4. After showering, go directly to the hair drying area to moisturize. I changed immediately after my shower not realizing there are large containers of cream available. The cream is excellent and the scent is fresh and not overpowering. http://ellasbotanicals.ca/
5. Bring your own magazine/reading material. Spa / cottage life magazines are available.
6. Resist using your mobile devices! They are forbidden but I saw a few blackberry addicts succumbing to their addiction. Sure, I had internet withdrawl but I think the absence of it allowed time to slow down and relaxation to take over.

1  Thank m w
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Great suggestions! Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"relaxing experience"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm just saying - we spent 5 hours at Scandinave on my 30th Birthday. We had never been before and within minutes - I found myself regretting that we hadn't been before. The price is a no-brainer for the baths. We didn't have massages on this visit - but for under $100, we had an incredible time and feel like a million bucks. You have to keep quiet though as Scandinave 'honours silence'.

Thank you for the experience and we'll be back soon!

1  Thank Andrew S

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This spa a sauna, steam room, two cold plunge pools and two pools to soak in that are pleasantly warm. All of this is nestled in the foothills of Blue Mountain. It is a place relax in comfortable chairs or a hammock and let all of your cares drift away. Read, listen to music or just nbe absorbed this unique experience. Add a massage or sample some of the healthy food items they have on their limited menu. It is truly an experience to be enjoyed with friend.

1  Thank pbb2005
ScandinaveSpaBlue, Owner at Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to recommend Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of experiencing a massage and the hot/cold baths at the Scandinave Spa at Blue Mountain. My wife and I enjoyed a duo massage which was very relaxing. But before that we were treated to the hot/cold baths which is included when you book an appointment for a massage.
Fortunately there was no waiting list for the hot/cold baths. 10 minutes in a hot bath/sauna/steam room. 10 seconds in a cold bath (a very long 10 seconds!). Then a couple of minutes relaxing.....then repeat. It is an experience that I recommend to anyone that has not tried it before.

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. We hope to see you visiting us again soon. The winter season is fantastic!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Celebrated my fourth anniversary here with my husband. We enjoyed the baths and the beautiful venue! Four a high end place, I was surprised that robes and slippers were not included. My massage was the worst I've ever had. It was glorified lotion rubbing at best. Save your money and if you do opt for a massage, do not get Tom. It was the most uninspiring experience ever by someone who didn't seem to care about their client's feedback. My husbands massage was okay but we were underwhelmed by the lack of consistency in massages at this "high end" spa

5  Thank Priya P

We are really sorry to hear that your massage did not meet your expectations. Please contact us directly as we would like to discuss this more with you.