“Great little place to spend the night on Miyajima”
Review of Ryoso Kawaguchi

Ryoso Kawaguchi
Ranked #2 of 13 B&Bs / Inns in Hatsukaichi
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Centrally located and with friendly owners this hotel is a great place to stay offering traditional style Japanese rooms with modern amenities like AC and TV. Toilet is western style and sink is also in the bathroom. Baths are communal but you can get them to yourselves as the door is lockable.

Hotel is centrally located just off the main shopping street on Miyajima and is a 5 minute walk from the temple/torii and walks up Mount Misen. Staff supplied good local knowledge of eateries and tourist sites too.

WiFi is a tad patchy and not good for Skype calls as it drops out every now and then, but I only stayed one night so could live with it. Another gripe was a slight prevailing smell of cigarette smoke in the hotel upon check in. There was no smell in my room and I didn't smell it again later, but initially it put me off somewhat.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Perfect place to stay. We found it quite pricey but well worth it! This was mainly due to the delightful staff, who were all so friendly and helpful and served us the best food we had in our three weeks in Japan! The location was perfect - not far from the station and very close to the shrine and gate. Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Nice clean traditional tatami room, with private western toilet and sink. Japanese bath is available, immaculately clean with several showers. This is private, you can have a couple or family together. Very friendly helpful staff.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our one real splurge on our 4 week trip and it didn't disappoint. Despite it's touristy impression, if you can do 2 nights on Miyajima, do it! The accommodation was superb, baths clean and comfortable (and we were able to have the baths to ourselves for myself, hubby and toddler so no sharing if it's not your thing) and the hosts were fantastic. We had dinner booked for our first night and it was beautifully presented, fresh and local - just how we wanted to experience Japan! We really enjoyed our stay here and highly recommend it!

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a tour with Samurai Tours. Our guide told us that we would have our best meals on our Japan tour here, and she was right. All of the many courses in both of our dinners here were perfect. The owner was sensitive to our dietary restrictions. The staff was wonderful, and this ryokan was centrally located. I would strongly recommend this inn to anyone who wants an authentic Japanese experience.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in this ryokan as part of a tour I was doing through Japan and this was my favourite out of all the places we stayed in. I was able to close the curtains over the windows to block out the light so I slept very well and if it were not for my mobile phone alarm I would have kept on sleeping. The futon was very comfortable and the room was nice and quiet. My room faced the street and I had a nice view of the five-storied pagoda if I looked left out of the windows. There are two common bathing rooms which can be locked. The lady who looked after the place personally showed me this when she saw me heading towards the bathing rooms in my yukata. For a westerner like me I felt save in the knowledge that no one else would come into the public bath and I could have a comfortable shower/bath. The room I stayed in was also quite spacious and the aircon kept me cool. There is a toilet and washbasin included as an ensuite in the room. The breakfast is a must if you stay here. There is a nice, small garden that you can look into as you are peacefully enjoying your delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lochness2013
Reviewed September 10, 2013

= : this is my best japanese ryokan experience and I recommend it as this is the 2nd time I stay there

+: in middle between harbor and temples
+: nice onsen to try (a must)
+: excellent diner (book it with the accomodation), one of the BEST I had in all my japanese travels
+ Miyajima is must to sleep there 1 night, it's magical
+: nice owner

- : nothing bad to report (price was over my budget, but value worth this price and it's not so much expensive!)

I recommend to stay 2 days in Miyajima and to climb the mountain. Staying on the island has a kind of magical effect on your mind to make it rest close to Hiroshima

Room Tip: book for the evening meal, it's a MUST!!!!