“My 11yo daughter enjoyed it. I thought it interesting too”
Review of Miyajima Aquarium

Miyajima Aquarium
Ranked #13 of 85 things to do in Hatsukaichi
Canberra, Australia
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“My 11yo daughter enjoyed it. I thought it interesting too”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Travel with kids involves compromise. One of the things I think is important is including a few choices that they really want to do, hence my 11 year old daughter's desire to visit the aquarium led to us spending a morning here.

And, I have to say, it was pretty good. The building has relatively recently been completely renovated so was very clean and modern. We all enjoyed the seal show and penguin patting, which are not dissimilar to what you would expect at any aquarium around the world. The large fish tanks were also good. What I particularly liked, however, was the focus on the inland sea – I thought this interesting. The other thing I loved was the archer fish feeding – something I’d never seen before. Fascinating.

Overall a pretty good experience.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank DadTravelOrganiser

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Iwakuni, Japan
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice break from the weather”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited Miyajima in July, on a very hot and humid day. The aquarium was a nice break from the heat. We went toward the end of the day, and it wasn't crowded at all. The aquarium is small, but we enjoyed seeing different species of sea creatures especially the ones that live in the surrounding area. My favorite was the oyster barge display, but the kids enjoyed seeing the jellyfish exhibit. The sea lion show was amusing, and so was the penguin talk. The touch tank was interesting and had different types of starfish (different than the ones you see in N. America or even Okinawa).

We enjoyed a late lunch at the Delfino restaurant inside the aquarium, and we were seated next to the dolphin tank. The food was ok, the price was reasonable and the service excellent. Watching the dolphins play during our meal was definitely memorable though.

If you are planning to visit Miyajima and don't live nearby, I recommend planning a full day. There's a lot to see and do. Wear walking shoes, bring enough cash for food, souvenirs, and activities. As the island can get quite crowded at times, I would not recommend bringing a large stroller.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank HinJapan
Washington, DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Poor belugas”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I visited this aquarium with my brother. The beluga that people think is saying "hello" looked to us like it was screaming for an escape from its TINY, TINY enclosure. My brother -- who is quite tough -- and I both left in tears. Anytime I read a story on belugas, I think of the pitiful creatures in Miyajima. Don't support this aquarium.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Kenni H
Iwakuni-shi, Yamaguchi, Japan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I liked how the aquarium incorporated fish from the surrounding area and one of my favorite things is the display of the oyster barge and the fish swimming under them. Since there are so many in the bay surrounding miyajima it was nice to see it up close. It would be nice have some kind of animal show there, maybe that could be added in the future.

1 Thank Olivia R
Dublin
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good for the kids”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A nice way to pass the time if the weather isn't good but there are better things to do on the island. Quite expensive but there are seal shows and penguin petting amongst the attractions

Visited April 2012