“Nice views!”

57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Nice views!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Getting there is half the fun. Two different style charlifts with views all the way. Great views again once you're at the top!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Rittman, Ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“A tough but worthwhile journey!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I'm a big fan of challenging hikes with great payoffs. Usually, I overestimate my own hiking ability, but making it to the top is always worth it, and Mt Misen is no exception.

Based on time, my companions and I took the rope way up as far as we could. It was a nice hike getting to the rope way itself, with little nooks to check out along the way. Riding the rope way was awesome - I recommend it for the views and experience. Even though I'm afraid of heights, I can still enjoy it.

By the time we exited the second rope way station, we were at a beautiful outlook viewing the Seto Inland Sea. I mean, mind blowingly beautiful panoramas. I would venture to say it was my favorite view of my whole trip! After we checked that out, there was an additional hike to get more up the mountain. Along the way was a romantic Lovers Shrine and some other viewing points. Then up, up the steep ascent to the top of Mt Misen. There were some places to rest along the way if needed.

At the top, you can climb on some big boulders for even better views from the tippy top of the mountain. I have pretty bad balance, so I let my husband and our friends do this while I snapped some photos of them and the panorama :) you definitely feel like you're on the top of something magnificent!

We chose to hike the entire way down and I don't recommend this if you don't want burning calves for the next three days. I'm a personal trainer, and my calves were aching. Definitely take a snack and beverage with you if you do the entire hike because there aren't any vending machines, and we saw people enjoying bento lunches on the way down. I loved the hike down and we were almost the only people on it, but like I said... It's a trip :) I definitely wouldn't suggest walking up AND down unless you have plenty of time to pace yourself. We were hurrying to make it back to the ferry so we had no time to waste!

Mt Misen is just one of the wonders of Itsukushima/Miyajima, so enjoy your stay!

London
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Not my scene”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I got the cable up and then did the 30 minute walk to the peak. If your gonna do ths, do it on a clear day so you have a view to see.
The cable ride was enjoyable but we decided to walk down. We're in our early 50's and although okay for me, my wife struggled with the so called "easy walk" which took us an hour.
If your stuck for time, stay at the bottom, have a cup of coffee and enjoy the view of the Tori gate.

London
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Great views over the inland sea”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We took the cable car up, then walked to the summit and all the way back down to sea level. I am in my 30's and this was a great downhill trek through the forest. My father is 79 and very fit, but with hindsight this was not the ideal exercise for him! The path consists of some very steep and uneven steps and there are not a lot of handholds. He made it down ok, but slowly, and he would have been much better off taking the cable car back down. Just so all you energetic oap's out there know!

Visited March 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Experience enhanced rather than spoiled by fog”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The day we visited, there were patches of fog and intermittent showers. However, the experience was no less enjoyable! Tradition holds that Mount Misen is a gathering place for tengu and the weather gave it the mystical atmosphere of legend. From the cable car stop and summit restaurant, it's still a moderate hike to the lookout point. Wear clothes you wouldn't mind getting sweaty in and shoes that are comfortable, but it's nothing too rigorous. A definite must-see!

Visited July 2012