“Beautiful island”

Book In Advance
More Info
$42.23*
and up
Private Miyajma Rickshaw Tour Including...
Ranked #1 of 82 things to do in Hatsukaichi
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic site that includes the Itsukushima Shrine, Otorii Gate and visit to Mt. Misen.
Reviewed February 17, 2016

Miyajima is such a beautiful little island near Hiroshima. There are roaming deer, walking trails, temples, street food, small shops, beautiful views, and it was also the only place I found citrus Kit Kats! I spent only half a day there and I wish I had more time, there is so much to see and do. Definitely worth the trip out of Hiroshima.

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank HeyHeyHayHay
Write a ReviewReviews (4,364)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"shopping street"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2016

We enjoyed many shops in interesting shopping streets and the streets were much much longer than I imagined. So we could spend many hours in there. We also enjoyed the nature of course. Especially when we took its ropeway and ferry.

Date of experience: November 2015
Reviewed February 12, 2016

I was tight on time at 630 checked out from Hiroshima peace park hotel , it was off season so fares were cheap. The hotel gave me a tram map and a geography map, was very useful as the Japanese hardly speak or understand English, but they are extremely polite and willing to help with directions, where they could be complications because of language if you don't have a map! I went by tram, street car, walking till I got to the final stop and took a ferry to the shrine and the island. It is so pretty, as I reached early, the shops were just opening. The feeling I get is that Japan is a very safe country, as kids as young as 9/10 I guess we're going to school in the tram car, unescorted by their mothers or fathers. The place has deers all over the island and they amble nonchalantly. The shrine in the water is a prett orange. I tasted Japanese sweet meats, bought a souvenir of the shrine and as a remember acne, then it was time to go as I had to catch the bullet than to Kyoto. Do walk the Atomic bomb dome, the pictures in the museum will chill your soul. The price of ego and how men expand till they blow up - the Japanese expanded in Korea, China, Russia and thought they could take on the Americans! Empires are doomed from within,natures mean reversion. As a soldier I admired the spirit of the Japanese people for the way they rallied around their countrymen to help them in Hiroshimaafter the bomb exploded. I kept on thinking I was back at the National Defence Academy , the whole city like the rest of Japan is incredibly orderly, neat! The covered market next to the hotel is very pretty.

Date of experience: January 2016
Reviewed February 10, 2016 via mobile

Easy access by train and street car (tram) from Hiroshima to ferry terminal. Easy-Moderate effort walk to the cable car and then onto the summit with rewarding views at the top and along the way. Even the 4yo walked it (with the occasional help). Great small town atmosphere with many local delicacies on offer. Well worth the visit.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank jmc-aust
See more reviews
Reviewed February 9, 2016 via mobile

We went here from Hiroshima. Short train and ferry trip to get there, all covered by the JR pass. The sights were amazing. The shrine (statue) in the water was nothing like I have ever seen before. Makes for excellent photographs. Then on the island we were greeted by wild deer just walking around the island. You can pat them and they like to sniff through your bags and take anything they can so be careful. Beautiful animals though. The shine (temple) on the island was beautiful, full of red colours which you walk through and again excellent photo opportunities, however costs money to simply walk through. The island is quite huge, I was blow away by what you could do there. We took pagodas to the top of the mountain and the views were spectacular. This also cost money to do. Then we went into an owl forrest and they are incredible animals, again costing money. Watch out though some like to bite. I am so glad we went to this island because it was absolutely beautiful. Apart from most things costing money it wasn't too expensive and its definately worth a look. You can definately see the main sights in a day but I'd say it would be amazing to see it all lit up at night so would be worth staying for a night. It was an excellent day and I highly recommend it!

Date of experience: February 2016