Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing tour around the 2011 disaster area

In short: this tour was super impressive, and I would recommend everyone to see the disaster area... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Luca S
via mobile
Makes a lasting impression

A tour that makes a lasting impression, showing the scale of the disaster impacting people to this... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Inspire35776784291

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I spent 18 days in Japan in September 2018. My main aim was to see my daughter who is living in Tokyo.

My visit to the restricted area in Fukushima has had a deep and lasting impact on me, my husband and my daughter. My daughter captured the feelings well and posted this on her facebook page: "Our visit to the exclusion zone was at turns contemplative and haunting and beautiful. I felt like I couldn't draw good for weeks after because I had seen and felt things that I didn't know how to process and capture..." (she is an amazing artist so for her to be art to be silenced was quite a thing)

For me, I felt blessed to be allowed to see what has been left behind after the tragic events in 2011. While I was aware of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear reactor meltdown I had no idea of the devastation that the community suffered and continues to suffer. Seeing abandoned schools, aged care homes complete with staff cars rusting away and the remnants of houses that are currently being destroyed because the owners have made a new life elsewhere tore at my heart.

Our hostess Karin was extremely knowledgeable and had amazing English. She was able to convey some of the depth of grief that the residents experienced but also to point out the seeds of a new community emerging. We had a fabulous meal in Odaka and even got to sing along with the owners and a visiting monk. Another deep and lasting impression.

If you get a chance you MUST take a tour with Real Fukushima and a stay at The Lantern House is also highly recommended.

1  Thank Nora R
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There has been a lot of media in this area, especially the red zone and we wanted to understand more about the disaster, what happened, how the community is repairing and what are the challenges. So it was excellent to find Real Fukushima tour. It is like being in our own documentary with real facts and up to date information. Our guide has lived in this area all his life and his knowledge, passion and scientific explanations were invaluable. It is impossible to describe the area, especially the red zone, and how people have been affected and the extent and scale of the disaster. It is a humbling experience and I recommend that it is a must do to really appreciate what happened and now the cleanup and ongoing issues and successes are happening in Fukushima. Thank you, this tour is one that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

1  Thank Donna V