“6 ft tall statue...”
Review of Tazawako Lake

Tazawako Lake
Ranked #2 of 51 things to do in Semboku
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Tazawako lake is STUNNING, we visited over Memorial Day when staying at Tsurunoyu. However, DON'T go primarily to visit the golden lady statue - it's maybe 6 feet tall and not in any prominent place, just sitting there 100 yards away from a ramen shop and a souvenir store. We hiked in the area and enjoyed it, but overall the whole place does not seem like a tourist destination, just a really nice lake that should probably just be enjoyed by locals.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had the Japan rail pass and went up to Tazawako for a day from Tokyo. It was a long trip, but my friend and I wanted to ride the fastest train. We rented bikes and rode around the lake. It was really nice to get away from doing sightseeing and city stuff. I wish that I could stay longer and go to some nearby onsen, go hiking or go skiing in the winter.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Heard so much of the beauty of Tazawako in Autumn. What about winter?
I took the Komachi Shinkansen from Akita to Tazawako station.
I arrived early, 8:00am. Nothing was open, no food, no bus.
So I paid 3000¥ for a cab to take me there, Tazawakohan. If I want to go to Tatsuko, I gotta pay 7000¥.
so I settle for the lesser pain. (take note, I should have waited for the 10:45 bus, cheaper and less painful).
Anyway, I got there. It was beautiful. The lake was so beautiful and serene. No one was there, except me. So I practically got the whole place to myself. I thought since I am early, might as well walk to the statue of Tatsuko. The weather was so beautiful, with light snow floating all around me. Tatsuko could not be that far.What could go wrong?
Beware, Tatsuko lives very far, about 10kim from the tazawakokohan. I didnt know that. I turned back when I realized this.
Luckily I was in time for the 10:57 bus which took us around the lake and back to the Tazawako station. At the statue of Tatsuko, we were given 15 minutes to take pictures. Alas, 15minutes is not enough. I only managed to snap a few photos of the famous Tatsuko. It is absolutely beautiful.
A lot of regrets that I didn't get to spend more time here. I should have alighted there and wait for the next bus at 14:05 which is about 2 and half hours away.
The return bus cost 980¥. Definitely cheaper than the cab.
Now that I know how to read the bus schedule table, I will definitely be back. For autumn.

5  Thank bakatori
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Walked around half of the lake, about 10kms, and what a beautiful peaceful environment. There isnt a footpath so you need to watch for the occasional car and pushbike. There was a lake side walk for part of the way and workers looked like they were extending that so in time you may be able to walk most of it without going on the road, which has a speed limit of 40 and the drivers were very courteous. They way we went passed a Tori Gate and Shrine but mostly walking through forest and bushland and gorgeous views of the lake

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I love the public bus that goes around it. The bus allows us to stop at certain scenic spots for photo taking. Lake Tazawa was enchanting and it draws you into its blues. It was a beautiful area with trees and flowers fringing it. The legend of Tatsuki adds a nice touch of mysticism to Lake Tazawa and its depths.