“We couldn't stay away”

Playa Viva
Ranked #1 of 1 Petatlan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was my husband and I's second trip to Playa Viva, and it was just as magical as before.

The open-air huts and images of baby sea turtles drew us in the first time. The sound of the ocean and delicious food filled my soul, and the genuine love of life and sense of peace from the locals of Juluchuca brought us back. Playa Viva is one of those places that sounds like a dream when you try to explain it to others: "We released 200 baby sea turtles into the ocean, had lunch in the mountains with a family who grows everything they eat, came back to watch whales playing in the sunset, released more baby sea turtles into the ocean, drank basil margaritas, went for a moonlight stroll on the beach, and fell asleep to the sound of waves and the cool breeze blowing through our open air hut". It sounds like something out of a movie. Too good to be true. But at Playa Viva, it's all real. And this was only the description of one day. The magic of this place is only heightened by the kindness of the staff, the genuine love for their community and serving others. Whether it's a massage on the beach, a gluten-free, vegan meal, or a trip into town to buy as much coconut candy you can fit in your luggage, they are happy to meet-and usually exceed your requests.
Playa Viva is magic.

A few tips:
Bring ear plugs. The ocean waves can be loud, and the animals in the surrounding area can be heard during the night. Great for some people, not so great for others.
The water is gorgeous and warm and great for boogie-boarding (which PV provides).
Bring insect repellant. The mosquitos come out in the evening.
The food is amazing and you won't need to diet when you get home because of how healthy and fresh everything is.
Internet is decent, husband was able to get some work done. Hopefully you're enjoying your trip too much to need to use internet though!
Leave your stress and worries at home. You won't need them here :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda R

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My husband and I, and several friends, went down a few weeks ago, for a week at Playa Viva. It was the second time for us, and the first time for 6 of our friends. It was as wonderful as I had remembered it, and even better because it felt even more like family. My husband and I only left the property twice, because we were so happy, and our friends did some additional outings. We headed up on ATVs to a farm/coffee/cacao plantation in the mountains, stopped at a perfect waterfall, and did a short trip to the coconut candy factory in town. We took a mole cooking class, and did yoga every day. Long beach walks, releasing baby turtles, lounging, a movie night or two, and some amazing star gazing. We had perfect massages, and even more perfect basil margaritas. The food was as excellent, fresh, flavorful, and tasty as I remembered, and we got to go and visit and participate in the garden. This is truly where our vacation meets our values.

Room Tip: We stayed in the eco-casita on the end (number 8). Loved it. Last time we stayed in the larger casit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2014

What a sublime luxury eco-resort. My wife and six-yr-old and I spent six days there recently and loved it. The beach was clean, wide, and secluded, the cabanas were beautifully designed and appointed, the food was superb, the staff were both delightful and professional, and we enjoyed the other guests. There is a nearby turtle sanctuary, and our son loved releasing the baby turtles. It's in a very secluded and private area, and I wondered if we might get bored, but it was so nice just being there that we only left the property once - to go on a fabulous trip to an organic coffee farm on a mountain top. And all of this is in the context of a small resort that relies mostly on home or locally grown organic food, solar power, and many advanced sustainability initiatives with a goal of actually regenerating the land. Even the water in the pool is special - no artificial chlorine, which makes it inviting to spend hours in it. I have lived and traveled all over the world (including many trips to Bali), and I can say Playa Viva ranks in the very top tier of places I have stayed. Hats off to the owner and talented management and staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laika B
Reviewed March 29, 2014

First let me start by telling you that this place is AMAZING !
Playa Viva is a sustainable boutique hotel in the middle of NO WHERE (
literally you have to drive a 4 miles dirt road to get to the hotel).
It is surrounded by nature and right ON THE BEACH.
The personnel is super friendly and yet we felt treated like prince and
princesses.

There is only 8 rooms in this hotel and all the rooms are completely
open to the ocean ( check out the pictures on their website).
The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are so romantic and
beautiful. We felt like we where sleeping in a luxurious tree house.

We enjoyed daily yoga, the amazing pool, swam in the ocean, went on the
most beautiful nature walks ( and went on a hunt for crocodiles !).
We got to released tiny tiny baby turtles onto the ocean in the morning.
All the guests and sometimes the personnel shared local organic home
cooked food everyday on a huge beautiful wood communal table on the
outdoor patio.
We met people from Spain, Germany and all over the US.
We also went to visit the closest town ( 20 000 people) and the closest
village( 400 people) and it's coconut candy factory as well as the
school ( you can bring books and school supplies to donate when you go
there)

If you are looking to combine intense relaxation, lush nature, animal
protection, cultural discovery and the most perfect family destination
..... then this is your next trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine L
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My stay was ... Well it just about leaves me speechless. It's indescribable with words and only barely captured in photos. I've never been to a more amazing place.

The welcoming feeling upon arrival is overwhelming. It's almost like being at a rich friend's vacation house. The common area is spot where all travelers can gather, eat, drink, play dominos, or relax quietly in a hammock.

The room is immaculate - be advised it is open air and so there's nothing to close you off from nature. The sound of the waves rocking you to sleep is priceless. We stayed in the double suite and had no issue with noise from our neighbors.

The food, well, it could go on a food blog but I haven't met a guest who can wait long enough to get a photo of it before cleaning their plate! I traveled with a VERY picky eater and even they were pleased at each meal.

The staff is warm, welcoming and accommodating. Want something they don't have? Just give them a little while and they will attempt to get it for you. Want an excursion they don't offer? Give them some time and they'll try their best to arrange it.

I made some great new friends while staying at Playa Viva. I'm an avid travel with severe wanderlust, so I don't often consider returning to a place twice - but there is nothing that can keep me away from returning to playa viva!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Colleen A
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was our second trip to PV - last time it was just my husband and me, this time we brought our kids (8 and 11) and another family. It was just as glorious and relaxing as we remembered and surpassed everyone's expectations. The kids had such a great time building sand castles, playing in the ocean, and swimming in the pool, that we only left the property once in 5 days. They also LOVED releasing the baby turtles! The adults swam, read, chatted, relaxed in the hammocks, and sipped adult beverages. :) The food is fresh and delicious and healthful, and the staff warm and welcoming. Yoga is offered every morning, and I got a lovely massage one afternoon. The weather was great - warmth tempered by the ocean breeze. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean is a romantic treat. Everyone should experience this!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joanna C
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Our stay at Playa Viva was great! The size and amenities of this eco-resort fit our preferences very well. The staff couldn't have been better. The food was wonderful, both delicious and healthy, and the kitchen folks were a delight. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the cooking lesson on mole, and me as the taster, it was the best ever. The casita was very comfortable and romantic with views of the waves and sunset. The expansive (miles) beach is beautiful and perfect for long sunset walks! We definitly plan to return. Attached are pictures of baby turtles being released (after hatch at sanctuary) and instinctively going to sea. Wonderful view of nature.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WALTER P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petatlan
La Casa Que Canta
#34 of 77 in Zihuatanejo
Villa del Sol Resort
Villa del Sol Resort
#8 of 77 in Zihuatanejo

Been to Playa Viva? Share your experiences!