“the most perfect family destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Viva

Playa Viva
Ranked #1 of 1 Petatlan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Culver City, California
“the most perfect family destination”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

First let me start by telling you that this place is AMAZING !
Playa Viva is a sustainable boutique hotel in the middle of NO WHERE (
literally you have to drive a 4 miles dirt road to get to the hotel).
It is surrounded by nature and right ON THE BEACH.
The personnel is super friendly and yet we felt treated like prince and
princesses.

There is only 8 rooms in this hotel and all the rooms are completely
open to the ocean ( check out the pictures on their website).
The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are so romantic and
beautiful. We felt like we where sleeping in a luxurious tree house.

We enjoyed daily yoga, the amazing pool, swam in the ocean, went on the
most beautiful nature walks ( and went on a hunt for crocodiles !).
We got to released tiny tiny baby turtles onto the ocean in the morning.
All the guests and sometimes the personnel shared local organic home
cooked food everyday on a huge beautiful wood communal table on the
outdoor patio.
We met people from Spain, Germany and all over the US.
We also went to visit the closest town ( 20 000 people) and the closest
village( 400 people) and it's coconut candy factory as well as the
school ( you can bring books and school supplies to donate when you go
there)

If you are looking to combine intense relaxation, lush nature, animal
protection, cultural discovery and the most perfect family destination
..... then this is your next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My stay was ... Well it just about leaves me speechless. It's indescribable with words and only barely captured in photos. I've never been to a more amazing place.

The welcoming feeling upon arrival is overwhelming. It's almost like being at a rich friend's vacation house. The common area is spot where all travelers can gather, eat, drink, play dominos, or relax quietly in a hammock.

The room is immaculate - be advised it is open air and so there's nothing to close you off from nature. The sound of the waves rocking you to sleep is priceless. We stayed in the double suite and had no issue with noise from our neighbors.

The food, well, it could go on a food blog but I haven't met a guest who can wait long enough to get a photo of it before cleaning their plate! I traveled with a VERY picky eater and even they were pleased at each meal.

The staff is warm, welcoming and accommodating. Want something they don't have? Just give them a little while and they will attempt to get it for you. Want an excursion they don't offer? Give them some time and they'll try their best to arrange it.

I made some great new friends while staying at Playa Viva. I'm an avid travel with severe wanderlust, so I don't often consider returning to a place twice - but there is nothing that can keep me away from returning to playa viva!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Colleen A
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was our second trip to PV - last time it was just my husband and me, this time we brought our kids (8 and 11) and another family. It was just as glorious and relaxing as we remembered and surpassed everyone's expectations. The kids had such a great time building sand castles, playing in the ocean, and swimming in the pool, that we only left the property once in 5 days. They also LOVED releasing the baby turtles! The adults swam, read, chatted, relaxed in the hammocks, and sipped adult beverages. :) The food is fresh and delicious and healthful, and the staff warm and welcoming. Yoga is offered every morning, and I got a lovely massage one afternoon. The weather was great - warmth tempered by the ocean breeze. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean is a romantic treat. Everyone should experience this!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Joanna C
BOULDER
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Our stay at Playa Viva was great! The size and amenities of this eco-resort fit our preferences very well. The staff couldn't have been better. The food was wonderful, both delicious and healthy, and the kitchen folks were a delight. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the cooking lesson on mole, and me as the taster, it was the best ever. The casita was very comfortable and romantic with views of the waves and sunset. The expansive (miles) beach is beautiful and perfect for long sunset walks! We definitly plan to return. Attached are pictures of baby turtles being released (after hatch at sanctuary) and instinctively going to sea. Wonderful view of nature.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WALTER P
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I just got back from 5 days in paradise at Playa Viva, I was stalling so much to leave we literally almost missed our flight back to Denver.

The food was incredibly delicious, so fresh, as most of it comes from Playa Viva’s own garden. The chefs, Abram and Olga are so talented, every meal was better than the last! The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable, all you really need when paradise is outside your door. The staff were truly the best part of Playa Viva, they were so warm and inviting, you definitely felt like you were staying with friends you’ve known forever.

Needless to say our stay at Playa Viva was wonderful, we cannot wait to go back!

Thank you Julia, Anjuli, Alok, Abram, Johnny, Olga and everyone else at Playa Viva who truly made our vacation!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My daughter and I recently returned from a 6 night vacation at the unique Playa Viva resort. I found this resort while searching for hotels near Zihuatanejo. When I read the reviews on TripAdvisor I was sure this was the place I wanted to go. What a great decision it was! The reviews were very accurate. This place has everything you need for a peaceful, stress free, relaxing vacation. I will try to keep this short but here are a few things that I want to mention that I hope will make my point!
1. The food is amazing! This is no exaggeration. Every meal was fresh, healthy and unique. There were plenty of choices as well. Lots of fresh veggies, fish, warm tortillas, etc. The soups are delicious! Fresh squeezed orange juice and fresh eggs for breakfast. My daughter and I counted down our last couple of days in meals left rather days. That's how much we enjoyed the food.
2. The staff is phenomenal. Our host and hostess were more like friends to us by the end of our stay. We enjoyed walks, meals, yoga and even had a competitive volley ball game on the beach! Johnny was so excited to help us plan our excursions and also make us his Basil Margarita's. We were well taken care of that's for sure. Our casita was always clean. We also participated in a few of the cooking classes with Olga and Abram, their 2 amazing cooks!
3. The baby sea turtle releases are quite special. We felt very fortunate to participate in the daily releases. We saw lots of whales and dolphins (saw 4 riding the waves!) and lots of birds and butterflies. We didn't see any scorpions but be careful of the fire ants.

I would not hesitate to recommend Playa Viva and hope to return again next January.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JanieJones67
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had a inspiring time at Playa Viva over 2013 Thanksgiving break. Don't know quite where to start with the many highlights - walking the grounds admiring multi-colored butterflies and birds, strolling the isolated beaches where I often encountered no one, enjoying the hammocks and pool, long conversations with other guests in the lobby lounge, reading and reflecting in the "loud quiet" of changing nature sounds, the delectable locally grown food, and the delicious "Johnny-special" basil margaritas. My palapa-casita (my room) was my cocoon; often, I didn't want to leave it. But, then, to punctuate it all, there was the daily ritual of releasing hundreds of baby turtles - saved and hatched by Playa Viva's staff! Watching those little guys scramble to the ocean elicited a sense of re-connection to nature's bounty and the renewal of my soul. I hope to go back soon knowing some of the returning nesting females were released on my last visit, completing one of the many cycles of life so many of us don't or can't appreciate. Finally, a word about the staff: By the end of the week I knew them all by name and knew a little about each one. They radiated pride and joy to work so close to home in this place. They felt a bit like family by the time I was waiving good-bye. I will encourage family and friends to go to Playa Viva without any hesitation.

Room Tip: The master palapa was great but they were all beautiful!