“BEST ECO-RESORT WE'VE EVER BEEN TO”
Review of Playa Viva

Playa Viva
Ranked #1 of 1 Petatlan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stanford, California
“BEST ECO-RESORT WE'VE EVER BEEN TO”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We went because this sounded like an ideal place to relax and be comfortable in a tropical seeing (deeply interested in nature, especially birds and butterflies), without a gigantic ecological footprint. We'd been told Playa Viva was where to do this, and that was correct. Cabinas again demonstrated one can be comfortable in the tropics without A/C if shelter has high ceilings, is open to breezes and you're happy in a swim suit. Pool was perfect temp, and great for morning and late afternoon (to avoid too much sun). Food healthy, well-prepared, and delicious (as were house-special margaritas). Served family style with much good conversation (and I pigged out on avocados). If you like to sleep to the sound of waves, as I do, this is a superb place for you. Ditto surfing (all housing on the beach). Kids also seem to love it, but when we wanted to write or read there was no noise-interference. Kids could go almost daily to see newly hatched sea turtles released and race into the sea, and the kids also raced to the sea to surf to their heart's content.. Friends there took a PV-arranged deep sea fishing trip ($400 for a group on a fine boat and superb fishing they reported) and we ate one of the sailfish results for dinner. Interesting birds and butterflies abundant, as was other wildlife -- including a fighting chance to see a sea turtle lay its eggs (PV supports and impressive conservation effort on the turtles as well as general habitat restoration on its ~80 hectare property). Local staff was happy, helpful, and smart -- a real pleasure to talk to. Negatives? A few mosquitoes at dusk -- easily handled by non-toxic plant-juice repellent and fans (both supplied) -- never once disturbed in netted bed. One failure of the internet (not under PV control). All in all: great comfort, great staff, great place to veg out. If you want to experience the tropics in a high-rise, air conditioned room and dine in a fancy restaurant with rich food surrounded by well-dressed guests, don't go to Playa Viva (because we're going back!).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Rye, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending two nights after a conference in the area and fell into a contented state of relaxation with no effort. The staff are wonderful. The food was superb and the solo walks on the beach were almost as good as the Basil Margaritas. (Actually, better.....the beach seems to go on forever.) And to top it all off, I saved several baby turtles!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AnniedeCossy
San Diego, CA
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I visited Playa Viva November 1-5 this year and it exceeded my expectations in every way. Quiet and secluded, great staff, interesting and friendly guests, spectacular scenery, healthy and delicious food. You are free to do nothing (nap, lay in the sun, float in the pool, read, etc.) or to get involved in activities such as surfing, hiking, snorkeling, horse back riding, etc. if you so choose. My casita (#8) was comfortable and quiet. I had such great views that I left the walls open 24/7 and was rocked to sleep by the sound of waves and wind in the palms every night. Got up at 3AM one night to watch a spectacular thunder and lightning show over the ocean that also brought a little rain, but we had sun every day. Releasing new born baby turtles every morning after breakfast was a special treat. I never saw a scorpion (my next door casita friend saw one), but I did see many tropical birds, a snake or two, and many lizards when walking the grounds. There is a safe in your room for your wallet and passport (which you don't need during your visit), and electricity worked 24/7 while I was there. WiFi was a little less available, but I just decided to stay off line completely for my visit (which was refreshingly pleasant). I hope to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KLD101
Neuchatel
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Really lovely family time with some old friends and new ones too! 3 days in a Mexican paradise. The morning baby turtle release is a joy. Such a great place to wind down, relax and be a little pampered.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fred1967
DC
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I spend much of our time in a busy, crowded city and every few years we like to find ourselves far, far away from anything remotely urban.

I don't think you can get much more away from urban than Playa Viva. When most tourists recount a story about being taken down a dirt road into the woods by a Mexican taxi cab, it ends up on 60 minutes. However at the end of this dirt road was a thatched roof paradise.

The food was great, the staff was attentive, there is no end of activities or, if you like, no end to the lounging. With at most 12 other guests, you can have all the company or all the privacy you desire. If you are looking for tranquility and some time to kill every busy thought in your head, this is the place.

While there I got to experience the following:
1) Turtles being released into the sea
2) Visiting a farm deep in the mountains and completely off the grid (gave me something to talk about with customs),
3) Playing soccer on the beach
4) Jumping from a waterfall
5) Yoga by the beach
6) Drinking from a coconut
7) Eating chocolate (the stuff that drops off the tree)

It was fantastic!

However, if you hate dirt, can't live without a TV, covet an air conditioner in the summer months, need high speed internet, or can't stand the thought of nothing but a mosquito net separating you from all of God's creation while you sleep, then I'd suggest you try somewhere else. For the rest of you hippies, enjoy! :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2013

As always, Playa Viva exceeded my expectations. The biggest highlight of my trip to Mexico/OC is Playa Viva. The spirit of Playa Viva is very much intertwined with the spirit of the community and the people in the area. I felt much closer to the beautiful spirit of the people of Zihuatanejo (and in a sense people of Mexico) just by being at Playa Viva. Your staff carries that spirit and it glows in their faces with their beautiful smiles.

To me Playa Viva is a place of serenity--it is a place that helps me "disconnect from the busyness of life and reconnect with my true self." I just wish that many people will discover this beautiful paradise. In fact, we all need a place like Playa Viva to remind us about what is important in life. I definitely like watching the turtles being released into the ocean and understanding their journey, carries a lot of wisdom about our own lives. We can learn a lot just by observing them. Which I personally find to be very enriching. I also fell in love with the horse--which I hope to ride next year when I come back. I will definitely be back.

Thank you for creating such a beautiful space and sharing it with the world. Many of us are burnout with the pace of life in our "modern world" and often are looking for a place like Playa Viva to recharge, reconnect and reclaim the meaning in our lives again. I highly recommend Playa Viva to anyone who wants to have an authentic experience of Mexico and enjoy the natural beauty of this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I recently stayed at Playa Viva and experienced one of the most beautiful stays of all my travel. The people at Playa Viva are incredibly sweet, smart, and attentive not just to you as their guest, but also to the land around them. This deep connection is hard to find and that welcoming spirit made each moment one that I hope to repeat in the future. The food is unbelievably fresh (all extremely local and wonderfully prepared) and the scenery is unbeatable. I didn't stay long enough to experience all of the activities that are available, but the eating, swimming, yoga-ing, and turtle releasing was an awesome way to spend the limited time I had. I could have easily stayed for weeks and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petatlan
La Casa Que Canta
#34 of 78 in Zihuatanejo
Bungalows Solecito
Bungalows Solecito
#2 of 5 in Barra de Potosi

Been to Playa Viva? Share your experiences!