We went because this sounded like an ideal place to relax and be comfortable in a tropical seeing (deeply interested in nature, especially birds and butterflies), without a gigantic ecological footprint. We'd been told Playa Viva was where to do this, and that was correct. Cabinas again demonstrated one can be comfortable in the tropics without A/C if shelter has high ceilings, is open to breezes and you're happy in a swim suit. Pool was perfect temp, and great for morning and late afternoon (to avoid too much sun). Food healthy, well-prepared, and delicious (as were house-special margaritas). Served family style with much good conversation (and I pigged out on avocados). If you like to sleep to the sound of waves, as I do, this is a superb place for you. Ditto surfing (all housing on the beach). Kids also seem to love it, but when we wanted to write or read there was no noise-interference. Kids could go almost daily to see newly hatched sea turtles released and race into the sea, and the kids also raced to the sea to surf to their heart's content.. Friends there took a PV-arranged deep sea fishing trip ($400 for a group on a fine boat and superb fishing they reported) and we ate one of the sailfish results for dinner. Interesting birds and butterflies abundant, as was other wildlife -- including a fighting chance to see a sea turtle lay its eggs (PV supports and impressive conservation effort on the turtles as well as general habitat restoration on its ~80 hectare property). Local staff was happy, helpful, and smart -- a real pleasure to talk to. Negatives? A few mosquitoes at dusk -- easily handled by non-toxic plant-juice repellent and fans (both supplied) -- never once disturbed in netted bed. One failure of the internet (not under PV control). All in all: great comfort, great staff, great place to veg out. If you want to experience the tropics in a high-rise, air conditioned room and dine in a fancy restaurant with rich food surrounded by well-dressed guests, don't go to Playa Viva (because we're going back!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Viva is a sustainable boutique hotel with 8 rooms on a private beach located 30 minutes from Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa International airport. Play Viva is located on 200 acres with 1.3 kilometers of beach front. 85% of the property is in a Private Reserve for use of guests and includes a turtle sanctuary, archaeological site, working permaculture farm, forest restoration, estuary and much more. Come enjoy yoga, surfing or any of the many local activities. Playa Viva is off grid, operating 100% on solar power, solar thermal water heating, grey and black water management systems and built with local materials and craftsmanship. We specialize in farm to table, sourcing much of our food locally and can handle a wide variety of dietary concerns from vegetarian and vegan to many types of allergies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Playa Viva reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Viva Hotel Petatlan
- Playa Viva Mexico/Petatlan