“Great Choice for the Costa Ballena area”
Review of Alma de Ojochal

Alma de Ojochal
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ojochal
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at El Buena Vista for the last few days of our trip this February (just returned). We paid about $80 a night. We had stayed the first week at the Cristal Ballena for about $70+ a night. We believe El Buena Vista is a better deal. The place is lovely, convenient to all the Ojochal restaurants, with the amazing view you expect from the name, and it has lots of personality / charm. Many thoughtful details have gone into the creation of this B & B. The pool is small but jewel like with a nice view of the ocean. The spotlessly clean small rooms with great breezes each have a large balcony with a small kitchenette on them that overlook the best view (better than from the pool or breakfast area) of Playa Tortuga. They've hung mosquito netting curtains on the porch so you can shield out the bugs at night. The rooms are simple but nicely decorated. Celine, Olivier, Leo, and Blanca are great and friendly hosts.

You definitely need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get up the road. It's a steep dirt road that takes you up high on the mountain side for that amazing view. El Buena Vista does not have AC but does not need it.

If you have time, eat at their French brasserie, El Fuego. They are billing it as a steak house but it's better than that. The prices are good and the charcuterie plate was amazing!

Room Tip: No bad ones
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chicagotravelgirl

Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband & I stayed two nights at Buena Vista. The name definitely lives up to itself. Celine is very welcoming and will make your stay very welcoming. Blanca (the yellow lab) will be there to greet you. The rooms are clean & comfortable. We stayed two different nights and were in two different rooms - both had balcony views of the ocean - sunsets are spectacular. Views are amazing any time during the day. Mountain views on one side - ocean on the other. We will definitely be staying at El Buena Vista again! The pool was clean and very inviting. El Buena Vista is close to many great restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doodles99
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This was my second trip to Ojochal with the first one being seven years ago. The place has changed mostly in the amount of new lodging and restaurant choices. On this trip I used TA reviews to choose El Buena Vista Hotel. I was impressed how it over delivered on my expectations. The sea view from room #1 was great, and I think the other rooms are probably just as good. The room was very clean and comfortable. Other than the sounds of wildlife it was very quiet. I could hear the ocean waves from the not to distant beach, and occaisionally a barely audible tractor trailer on the highway below. All in all it was very peaceful. The managers, Celine and Oliver were very accomdating. They provided round trip transportion for my flights at the Palmar Sur airport, and Oliver gave me a ride to my Saturday meeting at no charge. I was impressed as it was a twenty minute trip for him. The pool, although not big was very nice. The breakfast was quite good even though in was not a huge spread. It was mostly fruit, breads, juice, coffee, and eggs. The rooms have a small fridge and kitchenette if you want to bring your own food.
At first I thought it might get hot without A/C in the room, but it was very comfortable. I brought my little alarm clock/thermometer, and the high temp in the room was 85 during the day, and a low of 78 at night. The ceiling fan and the open windows kept it just cool enough to want to be under the covers.
Their restaurant El Fuego is definately worth a try. I wrote a separate review on it.
Next time I go to Ojochal I am staying here.

Room Tip: I'd choose #1 or #3 as they are on the end. All rooms have good views, but #1, #2, and #3 are p...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We expend 3 nights during Easter week with my husband, my son and my father and we loved it. It is a very relaxing place, the gardens are beautiful, great view and excellent service. The managers also have a very good restaurant, Fuego, nice live music, and very good food.
We will recommend this place to our friends and family

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

What to say about the Buena Vista, only good things, situated on top of a hill, surrounded by the mountains on one side and the magical sea view on the other. I was there at the end of December with my husband and 2 kids, the warm welcome we received form the host was overwhelming. They went out of their way to make our stay one of the best by helping us to visit the best beaches and best boat tour. If ever in Ojochal, i would highly recommend El Buena Vista and 2 min walk from the hotel you can lunch or dine in El Fuego, which was handy for us, after a long day full of activities, didn't fancy going far with the kids. The food is amazing and Olivier will accomodate your dish to your liking. All in all we had a great holiday and will definately return.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2011

It was my first trip to Costa Rica! I really enjoyed the warm welcome from Celine, the manager. She was so helpful to guide me from this part of the world.
The hotel El Buena Vista is located on top of a hill. The breeze is so refreshing.The view of the ocean on one side is breathtaking. You are surrounded by flowers and tropical trees. It's a paradise for all kind of birds and if you are lucky, you will meet the monkeys!
Celine then introduced me to her husband Olivier who owns the restaurant, El Fuego, located next to the hotel. It's very convienient! I had a good time there. The food is excellent and they had a latine band on a saturday night. It was great! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautifull ocean view!
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed for 7 nights the end of March 2011 in unit #3, which is an upper corner unit. Wonderful views and striking sunsets from on top of the mountain. I am back just a few days and already missing the wonderful fresh fruit variety every morning along with Celine's special blended fresh fruit drink. From the very first day, it just felt like a new home and I was treated like that both at El Buena Vista and their excellent restaurant El Fuego, which is within easy walking distance from the B & B. I did just that before I had a car and on the last night when I had already returned my car. The food was super and Olivier even introduced me to some of their local friends that dined there. I even joined a group of them once. Again, it was just like family. On the last night their big dog, Blanca even walked home with me and laid down outside my door. Celine helped me arrange for 4 different adventure tours in the area and even helped me rent a car for my stay. I definitely will be back and go to both places. The only difference is that I will be staying longer next time and I already have family there.

Room Tip: #1 or #3 are upper level corners, but all are good
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojochal
Oxygen Jungle Villas
La Cusinga Eco Lodge
La Cusinga Eco Lodge
#5 of 13 in Uvita
Cristal Ballena Boutique Hotel & Spa

Been to Alma de Ojochal? Share your experiences!