“Good, but not exceptional”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Citrus

Citrus
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Ojochal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, but not exceptional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

When entering the restaurant you are immediately impressed by the atmosphere. It's very promising and you think you're up for a culinary adventure.

I see people recommend this place for the wines. My red whine was cooled down. I guess this is necessary in costa rica's climate, but it was too cold.

There are very few vegetarian options. Hello guys, it's 2014 :)

The cooking was good, but maybe just a bit overpriced for the quality and service.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely. Delicious. A MUST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Tip top ratings for Citrus! Lovely staff, Aurelie is a particularly delightful server. She has great food and wine recommendations. To that, this is the place to drink red wine in Costa Rica. You'll see their lovely wine storage unit as you enter the beautiful restaurant and you can trust that it is all well sourced and properly stored (this is not the norm, outside of Citrus I would highly recommend that you stick with white wine only in CR). And the food...! Delicious!! I was here two years ago and I feared that I had built it up in my mind. However, my fond memories were met and exceeded when I returned this week. The polpo (octopus) is some of the best I've had and the pork was to die for. My mother is obsessed with the scallops. Thank you Citrus, I'll be back as soon as possible! Kit Murray Maloney

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank KitterMM M
Beacon, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely atmosphere, but food nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

It is a pretty little restaurant with nice lighting and perfect jungle surroundings. The staff is very nice and reasonably attentive. The food was just OK. Not terrible, but nothing I could not make at home and too expensive for the quality. Maybe I am spoiled living in New York, but my steak was drowning in an overly sweet sauce, and my potatoes were pale, underdone and underseasoned. One of our medium rare steaks was practically raw, the calamari was a tiny portion and overdone, the mushrooms and toast were out of proportion (too much mushroom and too little toast), the pork was fine but really bland with icky whole prunes on top. The pasta carbonara was OK, though the egg yolk served separately was weird because it was cold by the time we got it and would not mix in properly inside the little bowl. I'd choose Mamma e Pappa over this for half the cost and better food.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank jmperles
Detroit, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“5 Star Food & Atmosphere, 2 Star Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We made a highly anticipated trip to Citrus for dinner on 2/20/14. The food and atmosphere were incredible, but our server was slow and inattentive. The only interaction we had with him was when he took our drink and food orders, and when he dropped off our credit card receipt. Everything else was handled through either the young man who was assisting, or the other wait staff, all of whom were exceptional. In fact, it was difficult to even spot our server in the restaurant throughout the time we were there, and it took a half hour just to flag anyone down for the check. One of entrees in our party was incorrect, but at that point it was not worth trying to get the order correct.

We watched the interaction the other tables around us had with their servers and left very envious of their experience. We plan to return to Ojochal and will dine at Citrus again, as the food and atmosphere were so incredible. I hope our service experience was just an isolated situation that night.

Vancouver, Canada
“A good lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Six of us decided to have lunch at Citrus based on several people recommending it. We had a reservation but were seated outside under an umbrella because the restaurant was mostly full of a regularly scheduled lunch by women expats from the surrounding area. We liked being outside but the umbrella did not quite protect us all from the sun and the noise level of the surrounding jungle was so high we had trouble hearing each other. We loved the feeling of being in the jungle like that but we made a choice to move inside.

I ordered the Caribbean seafood soup and it was delicious. All my companions enjoyed their food and the service was very good.