“Awesome food, great prices in accessible restaurant in Guaynabo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Byte's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Byte's
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Awesome food, great prices in accessible restaurant in Guaynabo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

I had to write this review of Byte’s in Metro Office Park not so much for leisure travelers, but more so for the many persons I know live in Puerto Rico that NEED good, reasonably priced restaurants to grab a quick and scrumptious lunch in the middle of an errand-filled day.
I discovered Byte’s last Thursday because my son wanted to go there to watch the Finals Basketball game. The food is scrumptiously chef-quality (I found out that the always-present owner is in fact real trained chef). The variety of the menu makes it a perfect place for anyone or a group to go because it has basic permanent items you can always get (pasta, burgers, etc.). They always have a pasta bar available, with the ingredients whipped there in the moment, like the pink-sauce with chicken penne I had that were delightful. My son loved his burger.
I saw that they have weekly specials that change. The day I was there, they were offering cassava mofongo-filled chicken breasts (YUM!).
Their desserts are homemade (flan was exquisite) and artisan beer.
To sum up, the quality of the food is expensive-restaurant grade, a bit more expensive than fast food but by no means excessive for a casual weekday lunch. The prices that oscillate between the expensive-for-fast-food ones and the sit-down fancier restaurant ones where the basic entrée is about 25% more expensive and a tip must be also paid – making a similar lunch cost at least 40% more.
There are other additional features that this restaurant has that are truly important to me. First: it is open on Mondays. Most restaurants in Puerto Rico (even casual ones) are closed on Mondays, making it even harder to find a nice place to eat.
Second: the place is very safe. While walking from the parking lot (there is a public parking next to the restaurant’s building), I saw the building’s directory and discovered a most important feature is the safety. Even though Metro Office Park is generally safe in and of itself, this restaurant happens to be located within a building that also has US DEA offices! In the building next to it, the US Coast Guard has offices as well. This is such an added bonus!
When we arrived, there was some sort of happy hour going on with a band. They have free wifi and 2 huge television sets because people gather to watch games and events there, just as my son did.
This place has a nice expensive-restaurant feature that most casual cafes (and even some expensive restaurants) don’t have: odor extractors. You can go in, eat there and come out and no smell will stick to you. If I have to continue running errands for the rest of the day after lunch, I refrain from going to two of my favorites cafes because when I come out, my hair and clothes have the unpleasant cafeteria-like smell.
You can also see the spic and span kitchen from the order line and watch the food being made, something that always gives me peace of mind.
I hope they keep it up because this place is a perfect option for a good-quality, tasty and reasonable lunch on the go while in the Guaynabo area.

• Visited June 2014