“relaxation, exercise and a magical atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aljezur
Tipi Valley Algarve Eco Surf & Yoga Retreat
duncan wilson
“relaxation, exercise and a magical atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

tipivalley is the ideal place to reaffirm that life can be simple and magical. put yourself in a beautiful valley near the coast in a rustic and bohemian gem and let yourself be taken care of by Cecilia and the rest of the team. You'll meet some wonderful people who, if you are lucky as I was, will be diverse but share common good karma and creative energy. We had yoga with Fotini who is not only an excellent teacher but incredibly kind and warm, delicious, varied and creative food from Cecilia (and the elusive marta) and surfing lessons from a team led by David, with Ben being particularly good.

The area around is great, and for a beginner the surf is just challenging enough without being too much.

tips - on arrival take the train (not the bus) to lagos and from there one of many busses to aljezur. the TV team will collect you from there if you pre book. Definitely take insect repellent. there are quite a lot of mozzies in the valley and when we were there a fair few wasps around dinner. it can also be a bit cold at times in the valley - we had mist a few days, although that may have been unusual. other than that, relax, you are in good hands.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank dunk76

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was in Tipi Valley for 4 days. Tipi Valley is a very tranquil place with just enough ammenities to make your eco stay comfortable. My experience of the daily routine was as follows:

07:30 Morning bell before yoga
08-09 Morning Yoga
10.00 Pickup for the beach
10.30-13 Surfing with lessons
13-16 Lunsj and relaxing at the beach (Or surfing if you are up for it)
16.00 Pickup for Tipi Valley
16.30 - 18 Showering, relaxing, reading etc
18-19 Relaxing Yoga
19.30 Dinner and lounging

I found the Surf instructor, Ben, to be very pleasant and supportive in the surf lessons. He gave advice without nagging and let people progress at their own pace, while still giving options to try. I am a beginner surfer so it was perfect for me.

The Yoga instructor, Fotini, was also pleasant and seemed to addapt the sessions to the group and the progression. I sadly did not participate in the morning sessions after the first because of a massive mosquito attack the first day. Drowning my body in toxic mosquitorepellant was not an option and I did my own session in my own tent.

The food was excellent with mainly vegetarian dishes. Cecilia that provided for us gave us supperb service and was a very enegetic and pleasant woman. She talked about food and gave of her self all the time.

Slleping accomodations in the tent also was very good. The bed I had was as good as my own so i lacked nothing in that regard. My tent was also spacious and as I noted I could to my yoga session in there.

The valley in itself was very serene and tranquil. A place you can relax completely. look at the beautiful sunset and the stars at night. I found time every day for some reading and/or relaxing.

The bathroom and shower is much better than you would find in most traditional Norwegian Cabins and completely adequate. it is a special feeling to shower under the sky.

I found my fellow visitors to be enjoyable and it's been a long time since I laughed that much on a trip or elsewhere for that matter. Different people, but all contributing and I hope I will meet them again

The only thing I found lacking was the fact that I lost a day because of a misunderstanding between the Tipi Valley staff. I came to Portugal on a Saturday and could not join until tuesday, while the others joined on Monday. that left me with one day less.

Also be aware of the 50 euro administration fee that you have to pay when you get there. The private taxi transfers cost 125 euros each way and are not the kind you get at hotells where they pick you up for a lot less.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KariusBaktus
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Wonderful place to visit if you´re looking for some relaxing and nourishing days in Portugal- and at the same time a chance to get fit. Surf and yoga every day in beautiful locations. Eco-friendly and close to nature experience in the tent accommodation in the valley. Wonderful staff. Great and healthy food.
Pia Klubb Fasmer, Norway

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Pia K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

A true retreat, if by retreat you mean, "nothing like your daily life." This was five days of (for a beginner, at least) intensive strengthening of the yoga and baby-surf muscles. Wonderful! The staff is great -- truly international, caring, and great cooks! The surf school instructors were equal parts fun-loving and able to break down the elements of surfing to manageable chunks, and the beaches are gorgeous. I only wish the valley where we slept were closer to the ocean.

In the valley, there's birdsong during morning and evening yoga (alas, regularly interrupted by the twang of mosquitos, due to some standing water near the yoga deck), hammocks and walks among cork trees, proprietor's friendly dogs, a walk down to the river, massages on Thursdays, and the sound of the distant surf to lull you to sleep at night (much needed, after a full day of activity). All of these things make for a lovely adventure. It is nearly impossible to return home and stuff yourself back into day-to-day office life when you're done.

Room Tip: All guests stay in tipis. The big one is right in the center of camp, with three beds. Very comforta...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jaime J
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This place is truly magical. Fond memories of falling asleep to beautiful sounds of birds singing, taking solar heated showers with ocean views, beautiful people, wholesome food, serenity, escape from the chaos, amazing beaches, night skies......What more could I have asked for:) Surf and yoga instructors cater for all levels and are friendly and inspiring! Would love to visit again and definitely recommend! A special holiday!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ciara T
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Come here if you'd like to feel like the Queen of Portugal, perhaps Europe and the world. You eat delicious food, dive into surfing (no matter your experience!), and yoga like you've never yoga-ed before--all surrounded by surreal beauty and some very, very amazing staff in Tipi Valley. Please get a Thai Yoga Massage if the opportunity presents itself. And don't forget to check out the stars. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lisa D
Scheveningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

In 2010 I went on a location-screening trip, to find a good eco, surf and yoga retreat. I travelled to Portugal, on to Spain, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Maui, Costa Rica, Panama, Brazil, Cape Verde, Denmark and … ended up in Portugal again.

I spent the final months of 2012 in Portugal, visiting permaculture-, eco-, sustainable- and self-sufficient villages/communities/resorts.

And I have found the perfect location! In Aljezur - near Arrifana – Portugal: Tipivalley.

As I was travelling around in Europa, I used my surfvan - which I have equipped with solar panels - surfing the beautiful Southwest Coast waves of Portugal, Tipivalley was a bit hard to find at first. (It hides its location.)
But everybody that I spoke to about eco, surf and yoga projects in Aljezur, Lagos and even Sagres, referred me to Laurie’s Tipivalley.

And I must say, it is a truly excellent place. It offers sustainable tourism with an off-grid ocean view in combination with organic food, surfing remote beaches and yoga.

If loved this small-scale sustainable eco, surf and yoga experience in the Algarve and the Avatar kind of IDea behind it!

@sustainitycoach

Room Tip: All rooms have a their own interesting character but sleeping in the 'Large Tipi' (max 3 peo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank stefanthie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aljezur
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Offline Portugal House
#3 of 40 in Aljezur
Parque de campismo Orbitur Quarteira
Parque de Campismo de Armacao de Pera
Parque de Campismo de Armacao de...
#9 of 10 in Armacao de Pera

Been to Tipi Valley Algarve Eco Surf & Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!