We stayed in a Mountain View room at the discounted price of $250 a night. Even at that price we felt ripped off. There was a stain on the carpet, the bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows weren't much better. Nasty stains on the underside of the bedspread were pretty disgusting. Most of the room furniture was old and scratched, the linen and towels are what you'd expect at a $30 a night motel room.
Afternoon tea was a plate of rock hard scones (I'm sure they were baked a week ahead of time). The library/reading room is filled with a lot of old outdated books that had seen many many better days.
Paper thin walls mean that you can hear every noise from outside and your next door neighbours. We could hear a party raging on through the night right up until just after 4am. Not pleasant since we wanted to get a good night's sleep to do some of the more adventurous walks in the morning. Just before 8am we were awoken by staff thumping around sweeping off pathways and stairs.
Breakfast was okay except you have to go begging for plates, cutlery, glasses... We didn't bother hanging around for morning tea after experiencing the joys of afternoon tea the day before.
Surely the villas are a better option if you are super wealthy (minimum 2 night stay policy takes things out of the average person's reach).
I would not recommend O'Reilly's to anyone. There's other options nearby - do some research and save yourself the disapointment of experiencing mediocre, overpriced accommodation. Yes there's some lovely views and some good walks nearby but you can access these as a day tripper.
I must add that without exception, all the staff were amazingly friendly, informative and helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park from the best and only vantage point on Green Mountain - at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat - operated by passionate by third generation O’Reilly family members whose ancestors pioneered eco tourism in Australia in 1926. Choose to stay in a cosy Rainforest Retreat guest room with expansive views overlooking the western McPherson Range or one of 48 self-contained and architecturally designed modern Villas perched unobtrusively onto the sloping hillside. Get amongst the daily activities of guided bird walks, animal shows and the famed Tree Top Walk and treehouse climb to viewing platforms above. Plus, test your skills on an off road two-wheeled Segway tour through creek crossings to Morans Falls, or bliss out in the Lost World Day Spa. Dine in the casual treehouse bar on homemade pizzas or opt for the rustic dining room with a gourmet a la carte menu including matching wines from the Canungra Valley Vineyards down the road. Order a packed lunch or picnic hamper and set off to one of 500 waterfalls via 160 kilometres of nature trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
- O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Australia/Canungra, Queensland