My partner and I just returned home from a short stay at O’Reillys in a mountain view room. We chose this room as their website states very clearly that “All Mountain View Rooms boast a private balcony where you can relax and soak up the magnificent views to the McPherson ranges”. Right next to the “Book now” button on the accommodation pages! The magnificent view from our mountain view room was of the back of a concrete block building, with a bit of mountain range peeking over the top! We even double checked with reception that we had a magnificent mountain view!!! They took a deep breath and said in their opinion we did. You can judge for yourself, I've attached a photo! Magnificent or what?
The people in the accommodation block that dominated our magnificent view would have had better views than ours, but they would still have overlooked other rooms and parked cars, and only the relatively small number of timber constructed mountain view rooms (those pictured on the O’Reilly’s website) would have had anything approaching the view promised to “all” guests booking a mountain view room. Oh and the ones on the top floors of the multi level apartment block they've built. I expect they'd have it, too.
Internally our room was clean and perfectly serviceable for a short stay. It is, after all a “rainforest retreat”, so I was not expecting luxury (I was even willing to put up with the very uncomfortable mattress in the pursuit of nature!), but we could have been in a generic hotel room anywhere. A walk around the rainforest retreat complex, and the adjoining villa complex indicated that you’d be quite lucky to check into accommodation with the unspoilt views depicted on the website.
The place isn’t terrible, but it’s over-priced and the marketing material needs to be more representative of the accommodation you may find yourself in, rather than showcasing only the best available, when this can only be offered to a few. The rainforest resort would be eminently suited to large groups, corporate team building, bus tours and conferences etc, but is far from private, restful, exclusive or romantic. Think “school camp”.
Rightly or wrongly we left with the impression that there is an uncomfortable tug of war taking place between a love of the area and a love of money, with cold hard cash having superior pulling power at this stage in the game. The best O’Reillys has to offer is its proximity to the national park - which is all natural and all free. You can do the walks and experience the spectacular location as a day visitor without having to stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park from the best and only vantage point on Green Mountain - at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat - operated by passionate by third generation O’Reilly family members whose ancestors pioneered eco tourism in Australia in 1926. Choose to stay in a cosy Rainforest Retreat guest room with expansive views overlooking the western McPherson Range or one of 48 self-contained and architecturally designed modern Villas perched unobtrusively onto the sloping hillside. Get amongst the daily activities of guided bird walks, animal shows and the famed Tree Top Walk and treehouse climb to viewing platforms above. Plus, test your skills on an off road two-wheeled Segway tour through creek crossings to Morans Falls, or bliss out in the Lost World Day Spa. Dine in the casual treehouse bar on homemade pizzas or opt for the rustic dining room with a gourmet a la carte menu including matching wines from the Canungra Valley Vineyards down the road. Order a packed lunch or picnic hamper and set off to one of 500 waterfalls via 160 kilometres of nature trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
- O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Australia/Canungra, Queensland