“Best Western at Hilton prices”

O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Brisbane
“Best Western at Hilton prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

My partner and I just returned home from a short stay at O’Reillys in a mountain view room. We chose this room as their website states very clearly that “All Mountain View Rooms boast a private balcony where you can relax and soak up the magnificent views to the McPherson ranges”. Right next to the “Book now” button on the accommodation pages! The magnificent view from our mountain view room was of the back of a concrete block building, with a bit of mountain range peeking over the top! We even double checked with reception that we had a magnificent mountain view!!! They took a deep breath and said in their opinion we did. You can judge for yourself, I've attached a photo! Magnificent or what?

The people in the accommodation block that dominated our magnificent view would have had better views than ours, but they would still have overlooked other rooms and parked cars, and only the relatively small number of timber constructed mountain view rooms (those pictured on the O’Reilly’s website) would have had anything approaching the view promised to “all” guests booking a mountain view room. Oh and the ones on the top floors of the multi level apartment block they've built. I expect they'd have it, too.

Internally our room was clean and perfectly serviceable for a short stay. It is, after all a “rainforest retreat”, so I was not expecting luxury (I was even willing to put up with the very uncomfortable mattress in the pursuit of nature!), but we could have been in a generic hotel room anywhere. A walk around the rainforest retreat complex, and the adjoining villa complex indicated that you’d be quite lucky to check into accommodation with the unspoilt views depicted on the website.

The place isn’t terrible, but it’s over-priced and the marketing material needs to be more representative of the accommodation you may find yourself in, rather than showcasing only the best available, when this can only be offered to a few. The rainforest resort would be eminently suited to large groups, corporate team building, bus tours and conferences etc, but is far from private, restful, exclusive or romantic. Think “school camp”.

Rightly or wrongly we left with the impression that there is an uncomfortable tug of war taking place between a love of the area and a love of money, with cold hard cash having superior pulling power at this stage in the game. The best O’Reillys has to offer is its proximity to the national park - which is all natural and all free. You can do the walks and experience the spectacular location as a day visitor without having to stay here!

Room Tip: Many different styles of accommodation here - decide what your priority is "(e.g close to pool...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gonefishingagain
OReillys_Retreat, Director of Sales at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

It is disappointing to read that O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat did not live up to your expectations.
The majority of our guests have a relaxing experience surrounded by the luscious natural environment, fresh mountain air, beautiful native wildlife and a selection of guided rainforest activities and adventures.

Our Mountain View rooms are simple but comfortably furnished with our unique and celebrated O’Reilly’s style. Our philosophy is that the rainforest, animals and views are a major part of the attraction. Depending on which room you stay in the view does vary. The photo is an accurate outlook from your balcony towards the left. The clouds on this day aren’t assisting; however the view to your right over the building in front boasts a great view of the Macpherson Ranges. We are always happy to recommend lookouts for more uninterrupted views – the bar at happy hour is a great place to start. We continue to encourage our guests to make the most of our communal areas (lounge, bar, lookouts etc) to soak in the views as well as share tales of the day’s adventures.

Thanks for the room tip – 50% of our total guest nights are repeat visitors who often have specific room requests and we are always as accommodating as possible. Thanks once again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Cirencester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I had a couple of days to spare at the end of a business trip to Brisbane and had been meaning to explore Lamington for a while so booked a room at O'Reilly's for 2 nights.
The forest immediately around the complex was amazing and I was able to see most of the target species I had been hoping for with relative ease on my first evening and first early morning walk including Owlet Night jar in its roost (pointed out to me by some very helpful rangers), Satin Bowerbird, Logrunner, Regent Bowerbird, Zoothera Thrush plus lots of others.
My only caution about the birding is to get out and about early before the coachload of visitors arrive on the Sunday morning - they effectively cleared the woodland of all the more shy birds......
The complex itself was comfortable although my room was a little tired and dated and for sports enthusiasts an important note - the rooms do not have Fox sports so not ideal for a rugby fan during the world cup!!
I enjoyed the a la carte dinner and the buffet breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Moose-beast
OReillys_Retreat, Director of Sales at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thanks for your valued feedback. It seems you had quite a list of birds to sight and I am pleased to read that you were able to see them all on your first evening. Lamington National Park is known for its abundance of birdlife – with over 150 different species calling Lamington home. Thanks for your great tip - the most active time for the birds tends to be the morning and afternoons and sightings are more common at this time of day. I am pleased to let you know we are just about to undergo a refurb to update our Retreat rooms. We will still have no televisions in the rooms, as we are all about encouraging our guests to experience Lamington National Park at its best (that said, we usually have main sport events aired in the Rainforest Bar – including the Rugby!)
Thanks for your feedback on your dining experiences – your comments were well received by our teams. I hope you enjoyed your visit to O’Reilly’s and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

The drive up to the mountain was not long, but with a toddler in the backseat who was prone to motion sickness, time took on a different scale. Arrived not long before lunch time, I made the mistake of giving the 4 y.o. a cold glass of apple juice and end up wearing it on my shirt.

My wife went on to her seminar while the father and son team signed on for the afternoon guided walk. The short walk was great fun and excellent, there was a younger child on the walk as well. The younger kid end up doing better than my 4 y.o. My kid felt asleep and had to be carried for about half the trip. The treetop walk was also great fun and it was also a good bird watching opportunity.

The dinner was for a large group and it was very busy. The kids meal was awesome as fish and chips was grilled salmon, my kid loved it. The next day breakfast meant seeing wild life coming into the atrium while the people moved in and out of the dinning room.

Some of the folks had been there before and commented how they had so much fun each time they came. It was our first time, and even with the small kid, it was very worth it.

Room Tip: there are also apartments
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. O’Reilly’s is one of Queensland’s premier venues for conferences and meetings, replacing the Blackberry with bush berries and phone calls with bird calls.
More and more often, families are joining their working partners or staying additional nights to enjoy the activities, walks and views at O’Reilly’s and Lamington National Park!
I am pleased to read you and your son did just that and hope you enjoyed your first visit to O’Reilly’s, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

First, thanks to O'Reilly's for building accomodation in such an isolated place; the views are tremendous as are some of the walks. Second, why didn't they design the place better? With a bit of imagination rooms could have been lighter, with proper views and decent privacy. Our room had little in common with memories of photos on the website. Fairly dark, dated, very small ancient looking bathroom, no soap but a dispenser, which, once used, leaked, so first morning job was to clean up half a litre of liquid soap from the bathroom floor. Poor soundproofing, when your neighbours wake (or worse, snore, as ours did!) so do you. As to privacy,you either had to keep blinds drawn or be seen by passers by. On the food front, meat was excellent, dessert good but the first course tried to be nouvelle cuisine and failed. We tried three wines, one undrinkeable and the others very poor. There was a choice of staff at reception: incompetent on the one hand, or arrogant and rude on the other. In spite of all above, I'm glad we went as the location makes it all worth while.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cliffordchambers
OReillys_Retreat, Director of Sales at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thank you for your valued feedback. We are situated in a beautiful part of the world and I am pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed the views and walks in Lamington National Park. We tend to agree that our retreat rooms are in need of a refurbishment and it is with pleasure to let you know that we will be undergoing a few changes in the very near future, including the liquid soap dispensers. Thank you for your comments on your dining experiences, your feedback has been shared with our teams and was well received. Our extensive wine list includes 52 wines from all over the world in addition to the O’Reilly’s range – our staff are more than happy to suggest a nice drop to complement your meal. I am disappointed to read your experience with our reception team fell below your expectations; your comments have been forwarded to our management team for review. Thanks once again for your feedback.
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

My boyfriend suprised me with an overnight stay in a 1 bedroom canopy suite at the retreat and a few blissful hours at the Lost World Spa. We were both very impressed! Although the rooms are verging on being 'outdated', we felt that this only added to it's charm. Both dinner & breakfast the following morning at the restaurant were very nice and reasonably good value. We were delighted when a possum wandered down to eat his dinner on the other side of the glass window whilst we were enjoying dinner. Service at the restauraunt was fantastic.

Lost world spa:
I have been to a fair number of day spas in my life & i have indulged in a variety of wonderful treatments, but Lost World Spa is in a whole other dimension. Every single detail has been thought of, even down to heated massage tables. The staff were amazing. Modern facilities. Stunning views. Quality, tasteful decoration. Flawless experience.

We plan to return for a longer visit to explore more of the rainforest walks, outdoor activities & Lost World Spa next time.

Room Tip: Canopy Suits have a fantastic view, a log fire & a spa bath with spectacular view. Perfect for c...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
What a nice boyfriend and what a great review.
The soothing sights and scents of the rainforest will calm your mind and refresh your soul as you surrender to the healing touch of our qualified therapists – and it seems you did just that! Your glowing comments on the Lost World Spa have been well received by the therapists and management so thank you!
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the food and the service in the Dining Room and even had the chance to dine with one of the ‘locals’.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon for a longer stay. Thanks again!
Hilversum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in one of the mountain villa's and were delighted with its atmosphere and design. It was so lovely we wouldn't have minded staying there for a week or longer instead of the 3 nights it was ours, despite of the stormy weather we had.

It offered everything we could wish for, including a fireplace, bbq, hot tub on the terrace, good lighting (which was an exception during our 3 1/2 weeks' stay in Australia) - even some candles, wooden floors, matching modern furniture, good bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchen appliances, et cetera, et cetera. We were sorry we had to leave and would love to return some day.

One of us joined the bird watching tour early in the morning, very nice, and we had dinner one night in the restaurant. Really good food and friendly and attentive service. Nice atmosphere too.

No complaints. We would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind driving up a winding road for about half an hour to find a green paradise.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your raving review all the way from the Netherlands. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your visit to O’Reilly’s during your holiday in Australia. The villas are great for families with self-catering facilities and the added luxuries like the spa out on the deck! I am glad you enjoyed the meals and the activities too – we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to O’Reilly’s on your next trip down under!
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Coming to O'Reillys, I had expected a quiet , luxury retreat - we stayed in a mountain view room and this certainly was not the case. The decor is dated and the facilities in the rooms themselves very basic. We stayed on a lower floor and unfortunately
this lead to a very poor view, blocked by cars parked beside the rooms
in front. We also had no soap in our room, which was addressed the
next day. The room had a shower only with no bath. As other reviews have mentioned, the rooms are very close together and the sound travels easily. The villas do
seem to cater for a more luxurious and private retreat and next time we will stay
there - if only for a self-catered option. I think the guest rooms are overpriced for the standard of accommodation.
However, this was really the only low point. The surrounds are beautiful and the staff were really lovely - particularly to our young son. The food was great - but be warned to
make a dinner reservation on a Saturday evening with your room booking. We had wonderful massages at the lost world spa which I thoroughly recommend - one of the best massages I have ever had. O'Reillys really comes alive when you talk to the staff about the walking tracks or the little animal you may have seen on a walk. The passion that the staff have the environment around them is really evident and it's great opportunity to learn more about our native animals and flora. My son and I particularly enjoyed the "wildlife encounters". The other lovely thing about O'Reillys is that the shared facilities such as the bar, the library and the restaurant do impart a sense of community and we met and chatted with lots of people. The kids play room was also an absolute hit with our son. So all up, a really relaxing weekend and very family friendly, but don't go in expecting privacy or luxury from your room. If that's important to you, I think a villa is the way to go.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, request a room on level one or above - not ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
OReillys_Retreat, Director of Sales at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat. I was pleased to read your family particularly enjoyed the wildlife encounters, and your son loved the children’s play room. During school holidays we also operate Eco Rangers which offers children guided and interpretive rainforest and wildlife experiences – an absolute hit with kids! I understand you were disappointed with your room selection, and agree with your suggestion that the Mountain Villas are ideal for families. A soft refurbishment is currently being planned for the Mountain View Rooms. Conversely, our luxurious Mountain Villas are completely self-contained, very spacious, contemporary, and each villa has a carport. The Mountain Villas even have a spa bath on the deck! With regard to your dining experience we always recommend dinner reservations be made prior to arrival, particularly for weekend stays, and this is re-iterated to guests in their confirmation letter. I am pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your meal! We look forward to the prospect of welcoming you back to O’Reilly’s in the future, and thank you again for your comments, including your positive comments regarding our staff. Thank you again for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canungra
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#1 of 2 in Mount Tamborine
Avocado Sunset Bed and Breakfast
Avocado Sunset Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 8 in North Tamborine

Been to O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa

Property: O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa
Address: Lamington National Park Road, Canungra, Queensland 4275, Australia
Location: Australia > Queensland > Brisbane Region > Scenic Rim > Canungra
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 7 Specialty Lodging in Canungra
Hotel Class:4 star — O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa 4*
Explore World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park from the best and only vantage point on Green Mountain - at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat - operated by passionate by third generation O’Reilly family members whose ancestors pioneered eco tourism in Australia in 1926. Choose to stay in a cosy Rainforest Retreat guest room with expansive views overlooking the western McPherson Range or one of 48 self-contained and architecturally designed modern Villas perched unobtrusively onto the sloping hillside. Get amongst the daily activities of guided bird walks, animal shows and the famed Tree Top Walk and treehouse climb to viewing platforms above. Plus, test your skills on an off road two-wheeled Segway tour through creek crossings to Morans Falls, or bliss out in the Lost World Day Spa. Dine in the casual treehouse bar on homemade pizzas or opt for the rustic dining room with a gourmet a la carte menu including matching wines from the Canungra Valley Vineyards down the road. Order a packed lunch or picnic hamper and set off to one of 500 waterfalls via 160 kilometres of nature trails. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Australia/Canungra, Queensland