All reviews excellent stay the entire staff fantastic week winter wonderland hot water his team ski lodge walking distance minute walk marcus interact smokies basement heater communal netflix shower
Selected filters
Reviewed February 5, 2019 via mobile

Many thanks to Marcus and the entire staff at the Yamadasan lodge. Fantastic location just a 5 minute walk to the slopes, 5 mins to the bars and restaurants located just over the road.
Nice big rooms with comfy beds, big thick duvets and toilet and basins in each room.
Great fried breakfast everyday with coffee and lots of fruit. You can choose to spend the evening in the bar or head out to the bars where you’ll find live music, great food and lots of friendly people. We did both and had a ton of fun in Madarao. Lots of nice little touches to help you have a stress free holiday, station transfers, warm boot room to dry your stuff, tv area with a lovely warm fire and for the smokers an outside undercover area which we took a little speaker to, drank beer and talked about our day.
This was my first trip to the Japanese mountains and Yamadasan lodge made it an experience I won’t forget. 100% rating from me and I will definitely be back. Full marks to the team and looking forward to the next time.

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed February 4, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here for a week and must say I was very happy. Great value and super friendly staff.
Rooms are basic but clean and with comfortable beds.
An easy choice during ski trips to Japan and Madarao.

//Marcus J

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed January 26, 2019 via mobile

Thank you Marcus and your staff, for a most excellent stay. Rooms are big, comfortable and cozy warm. The lodge and staff are awesome. We are travelling with another family (2 x kids under 12) and the staff interact so well with them and nothing is a problem. 10/10 experience!!!!

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed January 25, 2019

As this was our first time to the area, and with no previous experience of ski lodge accommodation, I'm really unable to compare but Yamadasan was comfortable enough for our 7 night stay. The property itself is quite dated. Our room (4 bed) was quite spacious and the ensuite toilet extremely basic, but adequate. The communal 2 person shower area was in the basement, with good hot water and reasonable water pressure. There is also a western Onsen in the bathroom, which I tried once after showering, but the water was only tepid. The lounge area is quite small (2 couches) and TV (Netflix) and a heater (essential in January).
The dining room was quaint but extremely cold in the mornings for breakfast, as the heater sometimes wouldn't start.
The staff were OK, not overly friendly
The distance to the ski fields/lift, and other bars and amenities, is about a 500metre walk, some uphill - really difficult on those days that dumped a lot of snow.
Now that I have an idea of the area, and other accommodation options, I think I would stay somewhere different next time.

Room tip: Upper floors (quad rooms) offer an excellent view of the snow/conditions outside. The lower level floor windows can be obscured by snow.
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2019 via mobile

First thing I’d say about Yamadasan Ski Resort is how friendly And knowledgeable the staff are. I travelled with some girlfriends, was our first time in Japan and they were so helpful in getting us there with their recommendations and instructions. Friendly faces to pick us up from the train to take us up the mountain.

The lodge is cosy and comfortable - rooms are a decent size, some with own shower but the bathroom
Downstairs was fine. Hot water straight away and good water pressure. Breakfast is included and we stayed in for the lodge meals a few nights, very nice selection of steak, pasta etc

Location wise it is ideal walking distance to the slopes, cafes and restaurants, we loved walking around and bar hopping, we felt very safe although the staff at Yamadasan were happy to pick us up late at night from
Smokies :)

Thanks for such a memorable fun holiday in a winter wonderland !

Date of stay: December 2018