“Old World Style and Comfort”
Review of Kintail Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shiel Bridge
Kintail Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shiel Bridge
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A fantastic location, 15 minutes from the Skye Bridge on the main road right on the loch. The hunting lodge is set well back from the road and traffic noise did not disturb us. Our room was enormous with large round "porthole" windows overlooking the loch and a quiet garden. The bathroom was extremely narrow with a sloping roof which caused a little difficulty for my 6ft Viking husband although for me, struggling to make 5'2", there wasn't a problem. The bath was deep and luxurious. We were made very welcome. When Vince went down to the bar to see if he could buy a bottle of French bubbles he was informed there was only one variety.
"Will this be okay?" It was a Verve Clicquot so there were no complaints!!! Champagne and ice bucket were delivered to our room. The dining room was closed for a private function and we were directed to the bar. Being Saturday night it was crowded, not only with guests but with local families, and there was a great atmosphere. The meal was delicious and the service excellent despite the crowd. Breakfast was in a very elegant room and again the service and the food were excellent. If we are ever fortunate enough to be in the West Highlands again we will definitely stay here.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Ideal for tackling some of the 20 Munros nearby.

Room fine-warm and dry. Kitchen adequate. Hotel right beside Bunkhouse so handy for refreshments.

Will be back to do more hills here: as usual with Bunkhouses, other people there are part of the deal and we all semmed to get on well.

Kitchen a bit tight when more than one meal being prepared but this is worth the inconvenience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank r0ylewis
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We went back to Kintail lodge for the 2nd time this November,
we were welcomed by the friendly staff and the room was nice, cosy & clean, what else can you ask for. It was off season so the restuarant was closed and they were using the bar menu for food, it was great quality as before.
Great location, will definitely be returning to Kintail again in the future

1  Thank dundeebat
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I have just spent a fantastic weekend staying at this hotel on their special 3 nights for 2 offer from Friday 9th November until Monday! On checking in we were shown to our room, which i have to say was superb, we had booked a superior room (room 3) and i would recommend this 100% I had called the day before to let Michelle know when we were arriving and the room was warm and spotlessly clean! lovely huge room with a very comfy kingsize bed, sofa and 2 armchairs and coffee table placed before the window to make the best of the Loch views! the bathroom was huge and spotless although a tad on the chilly side compared to the bedroom. Being a bit of a girl, I appreciated the huge cream soft fluffy towels and the gorgeous smelling 'The Tub' toiletries! also a great choice of tea, coffee and hot chocolate which were replenished every day! also always plenty of hot water for long soaks after a days mountain climbing! The hotel is situated on the main (although very quiet) road with stunning views over the Loch and is in a very handy location for climbing the Glen Sheil mountains and touring the surrounding area! we managed to squeeze in a trip to Skye and also headed up to Plockton to sample the famous seafood with lunch at the Plockton Inn (amazing and very very fresh prawns and mussels) and even got a chance to drive over the highest pass in the country to Applecross! The staff at the hotel are fabulous and will go out of their way to make you feel relaxed and at home, especially Helen, even remembering what our drinks were in the bar on the evenings! couldn't ask for better sevice! now to mention the food, a little word of advice, unless you are seriously starving hungry don't order a starter AND a main course because the portions are huuuuge!! cooked to perfection and a great choice! we ate in the bar every night and could not fault it, as mentioned in previous comments try the steak pie (superb) I actually did manage dessert one night and can highly recommend their homemade chocolate brownies!! Breakfast was also perfect, quick service, lovely and hot and plenty of toast and coffee, even on the Saturday morning when the hotel was fully booked and the staff were rushed off their feet, nothing was too much trouble! The hotel has the typical west Highland feel to it, very friendly, warm, fabulous views and a great place to be and whether you are staying in their superior rooms or out in the Wee Bunkhouse you will be made to feel welcome by everyone! we will definately look forward to returning there, thankyou ladies for a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: for a special occasion splash out on room 3 for a very comfy bed and great views!
1  Thank Jo B
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Kintail Lodge Hotel on the 2nd and 3rd of November. My wife had some business to attend to and I had to please myself with a bit of hill walking.................. I reckon that I got the best of the deal.

I have eaten at the hotel on a number of occasions so I was looking forward to having one of their steak pies.............. they are really very good!

Our room was a way up in the attic............ not a problem! The layout was what you would expect from a converted Lodge house and was a wee bit quirky (in the nicest possible way). A clean, warm, well appointed room with a comfortable bed and a very spacious bathroom. Everything that you could need.

Table booked for 7:00 and my mouth was geared up for food (steak pie to be precise). Horror of horrors................ no steak pie on the menu! I had to settle for another excellent dish (chilli con carne) while my wife had the venison pie. Well fed and watered (a good selection of wines). I mentioned the steak pie and was given the nod that they would be available the following night :)

The Kintail Lodge Halloween Party was on and most of the locals, including the staff, were in fancy dress. The band played a really eclectic range of music, everyone was having a ball and the atmospere was terrific. But, alas, as we were both having to get up early, we called it quits just after midnight. What sound that did carry was really muted and we had a great night sleep.

In the morning we were served breakfast by the same staff who had been working, in the bar, until the wee sma’ hours. I would have been tired and maybe even a wee bit grumpy (just me) but there was no sign of this in the service. The breakfast choice is grand!

One good walk later and I had a wee lie down before my evening meal.............. dreaming of steak pies! Déjà vu! We were a bit later in getting to the bar and there had been a run on pies........... steak, venison & seafood. Someone had let the cat out of the bag! Was I dejected? No way. There are too many other goodies on the menu to be tasted. The fish & chips were super.

A leisurely soak in a hot bath, a good night sleep, another great breakfast and then a scenic drive round to Arnisdale before heading home. What’s not to like about that?

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here recently for 3 nights, all the superior rooms were taken so we had a standard double. Although the decor of the room was a little dated, the room itself was incredibly comfortable with good facilities & a huge bathroom - and spotless. The location of the hotel is stunning sitting at the end of a loch about a 5minute drive to the castle. We used this as a base to explore Skye and for this it was perfect. The owners Marianne and Michelle were fantastic and made you feel very welcome - Helen who ran the bar was also very friendly and full of useful information about the surrounding areas. We ate at the hotel every night and the food was of a high standard and the portions huge. Breakfast was not to be missed either. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

During a trip travelling Scotland I stayed for 2 nights in a superior room over looking the Loch.Room 7 with amazing views, clean fluffy towels and a very comfortable bed. The room was spotless and the warm welcome and excellent food in the adjoining Pub made the whole stay perfect. I would recommend the Hotel for a family or couples. There are 2 sitting rooms and I was told if I required the open fire lit just to ask. The views are stunning and the location perfect for a stop over when travelling to Skye. The room had tea,coffee and hot chocolate facilities and was decorated to a high standard for the room rate. A very friendly hotel. Highly recommended with good food.

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the Loch, recommend room 7 a sunny room with a view.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shiel Bridge
9 mi away
Balmacara Hotel
Balmacara Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balmacara

Been to Kintail Lodge? Share your experiences!