See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 10, 2017

Meals were average, rooms looked a bit tainted. staff was very helpful and the private onsen bath was very nice. We stayed on a public holiday weekend so it was very busy. Sunset on the lake is beautiful!

Room tip: get higher floors
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2017 via mobile

I wish I could give it a better review but that would be dishonest. It deserves 4 or 5 stars for service and 4 for the room but the meals were at best worth 2 stars if not just 1. We stayed for 4 nights which is not typical to have such a long stay but the location of Kamisuwa served as a good base to us to explore Nagano. The price for the rooms with a private bath with lake view was quite reasonable relative to other ryokans and location (we paid about US$700 per night per room for 2 ppl).

Back to the food. The lady serving us meals asked if we didn't like Japanese food as we kept having a lot of food left on our plates. How should I say that we love Japanese food but only if it tastes good. As an example, there was tuna sashimi for breakfast one day and it had such a strong "fishy" smell that made me think it wasn't fresh at all or has been kept outside after being sliced for a while. Another item for dinner was stewed beef which was really bland with a lot of fatty pieces which would've tasted much better if they simply bought a pre-packaged sauce to go with it. Worst of all, in every meal they had some sort of boiled, broiled or grilled fish. I'm guessing they probably cooked the fish in batches early on and then reheated. Regardless, all the fish meat was very dry and tasteless or with a fishy smell. As for the shabu shabu, the quality of the cut of beef was way below average. They claimed it was Shinshu beef but I haven't had any Wagyu that was as tough and tasteless. We can find better beef from any Japanese supermarket. It's hard to describe in words exactly what the problem was and this probably sounds overly harsh but for someone who has stayed at proper ryokans before, the bar for good food is set really high. And they are far below it. I suggest Shinyu to take their chef to visit a few other competitors to better understand the problem or change their supplier if the problem is the quality of the ingredients (which probably was a huge part of the issue too). I wish Shinyu and its staff well but wish they could've done the food a lot better.

(PS, if you don't stay in a room with private bath; the public bath is a bit disappointing as well.)

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2016

The hotel is on the lake front only half a mile from the Chuo line station. We had a large room with lovely wooden onsen bath looking out across the lake, two conventional double beds and plenty of tatami mat space if you prefer to sleep on the floor. Other guests seemed to be 100% Japanese. Hotel not aiming for foreign visitors, with menus only in Japanese. Dinner and breakfast both excellent, served in private booths, with either Japanese or Western seating. Nice public onsen available. Great free bus tour of the four ancient local shinto shrines, which was fascinating, but the guide's commentary was only in Japanese, so googling a little about shinto beforehand, and in particular the details of the local six-yearly festival, would help it all make sense.

Room tip: Lake views are better than mountain views, especially if you like being boiled in the bath while watching the sun set.
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2016

I lodged here on Nov 2015. The interior of the hotel is good, and the access to the location is not hard to find.
We also got free dinner and breakfast and it was tasted so good.
The hotel also serves the onsen, there are private onsen and public onsen, you are freely to choose which is best for you.
The room is very clean and neat, also the bedroom.

On the morning you can take a walk to lake kamisuwa (it is straight in front of the hotel)

One thing i can never forget is, when we wanted to leave the hotel and planned to take a train. The receptionist offered a free ride to all of us to the nearest station, and he helped us all to take our baggage to the bus (yes the hotel serves the free bus).

After all, i think this is one of the best hotel in Japan and i recommend you to lodge here if you are about to go around kamisuwa.

Thanks :)

Room tip: If you want a great view in the morning, you may choose the lake view room. You can enjoy morning sun and see the lake from above :)
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2014

We arrived at the onsen later than planned (if you read my other reviews, you will see this is not an uncommon occurrence for us) and were met in the parking lot by two smiling men wearing white gloves and what looked like tuxedos who bowed and smiled and greeted me by name, directed me into a parking space, hoisted our luggage, and fairly ran with it into the hotel. When we reached the front desk, the reception person (?) greeted us warmly, personally showed us to our room (where our luggage was waiting for us), gave us a little introduction to the hotel, and left us to relax a little. And boy did we relax. They give you jammies & a robe & slippers and you are encouraged to wear them everywhere. We had reserved the private bath (I'm still not ready to share a hot tub with an unknown number of naked people I don't know) which was incredibly relaxing. Dinner (and breakfast) were excellent, more food than we could possibly eat.
The room was beautiful and very comfortable, the tatami mats were reasonably thick so our backs (which are accustomed to Western-style mattresses) didn't complain too much in the morning. We had a beautiful view of the lake. The only thing I can complain about, was that air outside the onsen had a large number of some flying insects I didn't recognize that prevented us from opening the window.

Date of stay: November 2014