“great time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Balmacara
Workington Cumbria UK
“great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

Nice room great view across Lochalsh friendly staff, will definitely
be going back

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank thereandback

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

Just back from a stay at the Balmacara Hotel. Extremely disappointed as not as made out to be on website. Is situated on main road and not all rooms face the Loch. Ours was at the back which had no view whatsover, looked on to the back of the new part, but was quiet. Breakfast was a joke - not enough room here to elaborate. Also private individuals beware - coach parties come here and take over!! Hotel extremely cold as well and pub food sounded great on menu but awful, having been told by manager that chef was awesome!!

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank bazonga

Travelers are raving about these Balmacara hotels

Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2006

Stayed just one night at the end of April 2006. Room was in the new part, very clean and comfortable, nice modern bathroom. Dinner was very nice with attentive service. Just one downpoint, the salmon was very overcooked, but otherwise the meal was lovely. We had an early start to catch the ferry from Skye to North Uist, so the staff arranged a full cooked breakfast for us much earlier than they needed to - very accommodating. The young waiter from New Zealand was especially friendly and helpful. Would stay there again with no hesitation.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank patnlcc
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2006

The Balmacara Hotel looked great on its website, which promised rooms with views and friendly staff. So I booked single occupancy for one night.

On arrival at 5pm-ish I found the front door locked with a notice on window telling guests to go to the public bar (along front of hotel and around corner). The bar was quiet, only one or two people in. Barman was friendly enough, said he'd meet me at the front door (but didn't offer to help with luggage or to let me follow him through inside of hotel). So I was left to carry my bags in ice cold winds around the outside of hotel to the front door again.

Checked in. Told where room was (verbal directions only). Given room and front door keys and shown how to unlock the complicated two-door front door entry system. No offer to help with luggage.
Hotel was exceptionally quiet, dark and no-one around once barman left (judging by the places laid for breakfast the next morning only 6 guests were booked in for that night, i.e. two couples and two singles). Directions to room were inadequate, so was signage. Eventually found my room. It was through a fire door and along a cold, dark and cheerless narrow back corridor. The room was tiny, cramped and equally cheerless with one small window looking straight onto a wall. Dim lighting from an overhead light. It was like a coffin with its wooden ceiling and blank walls. There was no bedside light, and the bathroom wash basin was cracked. Worse, the room was freezing cold and the wall heater wouldn't turn on.

Went down to reception, rang bell. No response. Had to go around outside of hotel to bar again to ask for heat. Was told the heating was on a timer and would come on later. Asked for timer to be over-ridden as it was so cold. Barman unsure if that could be done. After about 45 mins waiting in room, still with hat, scarf, gloves on, watching exhaled breath create clouds in the air, the heater came on.
Had a hot bath to warm up (at least there was plenty of hot water!). An hour later, the room was still freezing (presumably not insulated), the heater wasn't that hot even though set on full blast, and I had to have another bath to try and warm up. All night I had to keep on all my clothes and coat, gloves etc to try and warm up. At 6.30am the heating went off again. So I had another hot bath. I must have used more hot water than it would have cost them to heat the room properly.
At 8.20am I went to reception and the breakfast room, thinking there'd be someone around as breakfast was advertised as being available from 8.30am. No-one in sight. Rang bell. No-one appeared. No smell of bacon cooking or other breakfast preparation sounds. Rang hotel number from my mobile. No-one answered, not even an answerphone. Eventually someone appeared. I told him of my experience, saying I didn't want their breakfast, it had been so awful I just wanted to go. He apologised, charged me £20 instead of £40. Asked me to come back again so they could treat me properly next time.
You've got to be kidding.
Not impressed.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2006

Room was very cold upon arrival. There were problems with Sky TV which left only a shopping channel and sports channel available. The room telephone wasn't working. As I was cold, tired and staying on my own at the hotel I asked if I could check out without being charged, as all I wanted to do was watch TV and sleep. However, I was told that I WOULD be charged. Eventually the staff fixed the telephone and boosted the heating, but I was told that the TV channels wouldn't be sorted until Monday (this was Thursday). After stating again that I wanted to leave, the staff managed to get 3 TV channels working. I felt that I had to keep insisting on these things being sorted out, even though they were only what one should expect as standard.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank JetLaggedJet
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2005

My fiance and I went to the Balmacara Hotel in April 2005 as we were touring a number of hotels in the area to see where to hold our wedding reception in 2006.

The hotel has undergone an extensive refurbishment since its new owners took over and the lounge area and dining room with its picture windows give a great view on to the Loch and it all looks fresh, modern and clean.

The room we stayed in is the one featured in the photos on the Balmacara Hotel website and it was perfectly nice. We have been told as well that all rooms are part of an ongoing refurbishment which should be completed some time soon.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant (especially the manager Kenny) and really made our stay a pleasant one. We had no hesitation in deciding to choose the Balmacara Hotel for our wedding reception and we are looking forward to returning in 2006.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank Cuttlefish_9
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2005

we stayed at the Balmacara on ther 3rd of July 2005. The manager could not have been any nicer. Our room was very clean and so was the bathroom. We only had a bit of trouble with regulating the hot and cold for the shower. Beautiful view from our room. We had dinner at the hotel and it was simply delicious. The staff was extremely friendly. The only negative was that we only stayed one night. Would love to go back there again.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank MadoToo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmacara
Kyle Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kyle of Lochalsh
Duisdale House Hotel

Been to Balmacara Hotel? Share your experiences!