“Our stay this summer” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donan House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dornie
Donan House
Ranked #2 of 5 Dornie B&B and Inns
Nice
“Our stay this summer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This B&B is perfect at all levels!!!! It is highly commendable!!!!
We've got an extremely nice welcome and enjoyed a copious breakfast.
The house, which is globally very pleasant, has a complete equipment and is in addition very quiet and located in a very quite area.
The owners provide very good tips for walks in the mountains.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I found this B&B, after a thorough search for accomodation near to Skye, but on the mainland. I was glad I found this place.

Firstly, the views from my friends bedroom was perfect, looking staight out over Eilean Donan Castle. Given, that one of them had taken the same trip with me 18 years previous, I was so happy she had this view, and experience it really made her so happy. My room, was looking over the village of Dornie, and towards Skye, whch was also nice as well.

Now for the accomodation, the house itself is lovely, however the rooms are immaculate, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in for as long as I can remember. (I had, driven long the day before, but my friends also stated their beds were also very comfortable)

Breakfast was also very nice, and enjoyable, and plenty there also (Sausage, Bacon, eggs, beans, toast, cereals, coffee, tea).

Jim, was good at giving travels tips, and helpful on arrival, and I had a pleasant chat with Dot, the next morning, she was really nice. I loved this place really, and so I score it very good, and I would visit again. (The dining suggestion was good also)

1 slight negative :
No single person supplement, so it was £75 for single occupancy, which is steep for a B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JamzyW
donanhouseowner, Owner at Donan House, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
It was nice meeting you & your friends,
In all fairness you had a family room that sleeps 3 people in the busiest time of year,
Hope to see you again.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed one night with two rooms. Jim and Dot were very friendly and hospitable. Great breakfast with enough toast to fill our growing teenager.

Fabulous view of the castle. Plenty of parking available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Luckyb99
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Unfortunately, we arrived after leaving one of the most wonderful places we've ever stayed. We were on our honeymoon and seeing the castle was one of the highlights as my partner is a McKenzie and the castle is a part of his clan history.

Jim and Dot were nice enough, but seemed completely indifferent to us as guests. We got up early both mornings, once to go hiking on the Isle of Skye and once because we had ten hours of driving in front of us. The sign in the room says, "Breakfast earlier by request," but it's definitely lying. When we asked for 6:30, Dot said "Absolutely not." Jim got up and laid out milk and cereal and toast, but for the price we paid it was less than impressive. We didn't settle on the final cost before we left for the Isle, and when we came back we were informed it was cash only. My partner had to drive back into town (10 miles) and return with money.

We got the feeling that if they like you, they are probably very nice and wonderful. Jim made a point to ask the other guests how their day was and what they had done. He did not make the same point with us, even after speaking with us for ten minutes about money. They were entirely disengaged from us as guests, and it was just as expensive as staying at a 3 bedroom chalet where the owner was the most accommodating, helpful hostess I've seen.

If it's just for a night or two and an you aren't planning on getting up early, this might suit you well and the views are truly spectacular. If you are looking for good service and a warm welcome...well it depends on who you are!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Nancy S
donanhouseowner, Owner at Donan House, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Well this is the first time i have responded to a review,
When you booked in to Donan House for two days you were told by email on booking that we dont accept credit cards, cheque or cash only, all bookings are answered by sorry we dont take credit cards so no deposit required, so please why tell lies on that one, Breakfast is from 8am to 8.30am or later and for early, yes cooked from 7.30am, But to ask for a cooked breakfast at 6am is a little cheeky as you were, i did get up early and did give you breakfast of all sorts and was very nice to you, also showed you where to go on skye, i also gave you a map on where to visit and you came back and thanked me, You say on your review you had breakfast early and only conti & this was agreed by you so you could leave early which you did, so how couuld you see me talking to and giving other guests info at 8am to 8.30am
i rest my case,
OK if you must leave a review leave a honest one and not just because you coudnt get breakfast at 6am as requested, maybe its a 24hr hotel you want to book next time,
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at Donan house just for one night but could have stayed far longer if our schedule had allowed. Jim and Dot where great hosts and very friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived, We felt that nothing was too much trouble for them.
Our room have the most spectacular view of the castle which during daylight hours is stunning but when the castle lights up at night it certainly becomes magical, Staying at Donan house you couldn't ask for a better view.
Our bedroom had everything you could have possibly needed for a good nights sleep and breakfast was lovely a great start to the day.
We would stay here again and wish Jim and Dot every success

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lourogclay
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

From the moment we drive into Dornie, I knew it was a winner. Dot and Jim are lovely people and have a beautiful bed and breakfast. The setting is superb - being able to see the Castle from my room and also from the bathroom made my stay the best.

The information regarding food was great and they let us know what was in the vicinity. The second night Jim actually phoned along to the restaurant to let them know we were hoping to eat there - again wonderful service.

Jim also gave us a page from his map book to show us the way to go to see some stunning views.

Their hospitality is first class - hope to be back next year.

Room Tip: Ask for The View