We generally enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Hilton Odawara. It is a very nice hotel with great views and facilities and friendly staff. The public areas area all spacious and upscale. We appreciated the on-site store for snacks and wine and we made good use of the onsen (hot spring baths). Particularly valuable were the coin-operated washing machines and dryers. Any hotel that has those gets extra points in our opinion. Everything in our room - 415 - was in good condition, although it was a small room - more business hotel size than resort hotel size.
We took the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Odawara Station, so used the hotel shuttle bus from there. The shuttle bus only runs hourly, so timing is important. If we had missed it, it would have been an expensive taxi ride, because the hotel is quite far from the city, about a 20 minute drive, farther than we had expected. Get the shuttle schedule from the hotel's website in advance.
We only used the dining room for our breakfasts, and that is where one negative issue arose. We were startled to see that alcohol is served even then. The first morning we saw some guests drinking beer and the 2nd morning it was wine. We were watching the waitress serving the wine because it seemed such a strange thing for breakfast time. However, that was the guests' choice ... so be it. After pouring the wine, the waitress started to put the cap back on the bottle but it flew out of her hand and bounced and rolled across the floor. She chased after it, picked it up and put it right back on the bottle! Is this how the Food and Beverage Department routinely handles food and beverages? Don't they know anything about food safety? Is there no staff training in the safe handling of food and beverages? It made us glad we were checking out that day and would not have to be in their dining room again.
Only one problem, but it was a biggie. If it hadn't been for the contaminated wine bottle, we would have been giving this hotel a higher rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Travel to the Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, just 60 miles west of Tokyo, in the Hakone mountain's foothills. It's just 30 minutes by train to Tokyo's business district and 90 minutes by car to Haneda Tokyo airport. Courtesy transport runs weekdays to Odawara train station and shops, 2.5 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Rakuten, Booking.com, Priceline, Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Odawara Hotel Odawara
- Hilton Odawara Resort And Spa
- Odawara Hilton