“Very good food but service for foreigners is different”
Review of Unagitei Tomoei

Unagitei Tomoei
Ranked #1 of 1,296 Restaurants in Odawara
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2018 via mobile

If I could give 6 stars for food, I would. I like the unagi here - the fat between the meat and grilled skin is unbelievable thick! So so good.

Process: We got our local friend to book the eel but we had to queue for seats. Which took an hour.

In our lengthy 1.5 hours of dining, we noticed Japs were served immediately upon sitting down however foreigners like us were served later. Most Japanese were done within 30-40 mins of sitting down as their food came really fast. Each of our food came 20-30 mins after so our meal was super long, causing my entire Hakone trip to be jeopardised and I was unable to visit anything else. 1.5 hours of dining here and two seatings of Japanese were done and cleared. So unfair to foreigners.

If only they could be a bit fairer to others as well if would have been an excellent experience. To be fair, they smiled a lot but hey, can’t we get our food on time too? Oddly strange.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

I visited this restaurant for the first time. The restaurant officially opens at 11am but it actually opens at 10am. So I visited there at 10am.
I could park my car at the front of the restaurant but it was the last space. The restaurant seems to have 2nd car park.

We had “Jou-Unaju” and “Shirayaki-gozen”. Especially “Shirayaki-gozen” is the best taste of eels that I ate so far. Please see my photos.

We grated Wasabi by themselves while we wait for our ordered foods.

All waitresses wear Kimono and all of them provide the professional services. I felt all things are the best.

こちらのお店には初めて伺いました。上うな重、白焼き御膳を注文しました。白焼き御膳は最高でした。
店員さんは皆さんお着物でサービスも超一流です。久々に完璧な接客の仕事を見た気がします。

わさびや、食べ残しは持って帰ることも出来ます。

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

Overpriced. While the eel was definitely very good, the menu is limited, the mixed tempura consisted of some random vegetables and two tiny sardines, all accompanied with a tiny side dish of sliced carrots, pickles and a clear soup. Not worth the 5,400Yen price for the eel. Seems like its more of a tourist stopover with servers wearing kimonos and greeting everyone coming in or going out all in unison. Gets a bit too much after a while.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed December 8, 2017 via mobile

This is our second visit and we are very pleased to make our way here just to have Unagi. The unagi is fatty and smooth. Almost melt in the mouth. The unagi are done two ways - the dark sauce type and the lightly done style. Both are good. Try both if you can. This season they had abalone done cooked and sashimi styles. We tried both and it was very good. Tip - no reservation allowed but if you go before 12 pm you likely have a shorter wait. They have English speaking staff who are capable of guiding you through the selection. Will be back for it next year.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

We finally dined at Tomoei after years of saying that we must visit. The unagi is the best that I've eaten since coming to Japan 16 years ago. Top tip, lunchtimes are very busy and queues start very early so you may have to wait a long time, they have a limited number of Unagi also. We phoned ahead and reserved our eels for the evening, last orders are at 5pm, so you must eat early. Also if you arrive after 5:30pm you have to take your Unaju home as a bento box.

Date of visit: August 2017