“Soon to Become a Food Destination”

Sala della Comitissa
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Baschi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Austin, Texas
“Soon to Become a Food Destination”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I happened upon the town of Baschi and the restaurant, Sala Della Comitissa, by chance while staying outside of Orvieto. However, some say there is no such thing as chance, and if this is true, then I was led there by Bacchus and Ceres. It is here where I had two of the best meals I've ever had in Umbria, and perhaps in all of Italy. Besides being a "foodie", I am a sommelier, amateur cook, and traveller of Italy, so I know my food and wine. Maurizio provided professional but warm service and perfect wine recommendations from the region. The food - fresh and simple, but with a modern touch - showcased Umbrian cuisine. And I could not believe how reasonable the bill was! I will return to Sala on my next trip to Umbria, and I expect that I will need to book in advance as this place catches on.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank belladinap

San Diego, California
“The Italian Restaurant You've Always Dreamed Of... Charming, Exquisite, Cozy”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This is exactly the place you fantasize about in Italy.... a restaurant set in a charming quaint village, serving hand-crafted, inspired cuisine and welcoming customers with the most engaging warm and comfortable hospitality. We sat inside the dining room for lunch, a sophisticated yet cozy dining room accentuated by owner Maurizio's charm and passionate but non-intrusive wine suggestions and descriptions of the dishes. The food prepared by chef and co-owner Edi was at the same time exquisite and unpretentious, the quintessential Italian gastronomy. After lunch we moved to the outside terrace for espresso and enjoyed the panoramic view of the village intertwined with vineyards. My name is Ron Oliver. I am a chef and cookbook author in San Diego California. I discovered this restaurant while traveling through Umbria. I say this because I noticed a review on here rated "terrible" that I can't believe to be legitimate. I challenge the reviewer to identify themselves. Yes, every restaurant is capable of a bad day, but this is owner operated by Maurizio and Edi who make an intimate connection with each customer. And they also provide a great value. I have traveled the world in search of places like this and this is now one of my favorite restaurants.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank ch3fr0n
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A hidden treasure: totally memorable and good value”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Imagine finding a superb restaurant in a tiny atmospheric hilltop town not far from Orvieto.
The owners, Maurizio and Edi prepare and serve the most amazing food (all home made, from the bread and pasta to the main dishes such as boned and rolled lamb stuffed with asparagus) and the hospitality is second to none. In terms of value, it couldn't be better, given the quality. There's also an outdoor terrace to enjoy views over the Umbrian hills.This restaurant deserves to be better known, though in a way, I'd prefer it to be a well kept secret!

1 Thank SilverSnail