“Great hotel”

Premier Inn Manchester Old Trafford Hotel
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Trafford
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This Hotel has now changed ownership & now called PREMIER INN,
we found difficult to find, as not called Golden tulip hotel anymore.
We stayed at this hotel on new years eve!
For birmingham match on new years day!
Was charged £69.00 through late rooms.com, however was only charged £62.00 when checked in which was a bonus!
Excellent location for Old trafford, great views out of room over city & old trafford, A stones throw from old trafford ground.
Hotel, allthough a premier inn, was excellent, quick check in, room was tidy & smart/modern.
You are charged £10 to leave your car in car park after 11am on match days. however opposite entrance to car park is a road into industrai estate, i moved car 100 yards & parked on road for free!
We didnt eat at restaurant so cant comment on this,
We missed breakfast but was priced at £7.50 all you can eat, which wasnt to bad! N.B away fans are not welcome in any pubs local to ground, we(male & female couple) tried to get into weatherspoons 4 hours before kick off for food, and was turned away on door!.
We did take a short cab ride to The printworks which is 3 mile away, where various bars & restaurants which we walked into. However cab journey was £25(although new years eve- still refused to pay this much for 3 mile journey)- not hotel fault as private taxi firm.
Overall excellent hotel, great location for match- excellent location to get away from ground after to, 5 mins & was on motorway!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 21, 2007

Despite its proximity to to the Manchester United stadium this hotel can be a very useful base for access to the north west for visitors other than the football fan.

Motorway access is close allowing access to north west England.

Because of its location in Trafford Park the heart of Manchester is only a few minutes away,either by car(not recommended) or by nearby tram.

Rooms are clean and new but there is no real heart to the accommodation,

Breakfast is not cheap but the breakfast buffet bar is plentiful.The group has been recently sold to new owners,

• Stayed: January 2006
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Recently stayed at the Golden Tulip Manchester for one night and was very pleased with our stay. The lobby area is very bright and modern with big comfy sofas, the only down side being the reception staff who weren't that professional and forgot to activate the room card.

The room was big and had a great view looking out towards the Lowry over salford Quays. The room was well equiped with tea/coffee facilities, iron and a good range of satellite channels, although there was a space where the mini bar had been removed. The bed and pillows however were not the best and the springiness of the bed became annoying after a while. The bathroom was nicely decorated and the shower excellant.

We ate in the hotel restaurant as there is not a great amount of choice around except at the Lowry Centre which is a 10 min walk away and with the weather being terrible we decided to stay put. Very glad we did as the food and service at the restaurant was excellant and would recommend to anyone, a little on the dear side but not too bad in comparison to some hotels.

The Golden Tulip is an excellant hotel in a good loaction and with very reasonable rates, however notices in the room and lift state that it will be changing to a Premier Inn before the end of the year which is a bit of a shame, hopefully they can maintain their high standards and competitive pricing.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Stayed for one night on a visit to old trafford. As others have said, it could not be better placed for the stadium. Roll out of bed and off to the match.
The room was average size but very comfortable with everything i needed. The front of house staff were very friendly and helpful.
My only gripe was the breakfast. The staff struggled to keep tjhe buffet stocked up and did not seem able to cope with the dining room being full. In the end i got a croissant and a coffee and abandoned any hope of a hot breakfast.
I was guest of a company and did not pay for myself so i cant say if it was value for money or not but i can say it is a good clean comfortable hotel much like many other.
I would stay there again but would be wary of booking breakfast

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank BL65
Reviewed November 14, 2007

The Golden Tulip in Manchester is the perfect place to stay if you are going to watch a Manchester United game. Old Trafford is right across the road, no more than 50m walk. ' Ask for a room with a view of the ground, it looks great at night.

Our room was large enough and the bathroom was spotless. The only disappointing this is that there were no drinks in the mini fridge as you have to supply your own drinks or buy from the hotel.

Buffet Breakfast was excellent in the morning with heaps to choose from.

To those seeing a game at OT and then leaving for the airport/train straight after: Goodluck trying to get a taxi! We could not get one anywhere as it was game day and the wait from the hotel for a taxi was 2hours. Luckily we found a private hire car willing to take us to the train station otherwise we would have been stranded. The driver did rip us off charging us 25 pounds for a 6 pound journey.

All in all, a great hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CollingwoodFC1979
Reviewed October 22, 2007

As a professional meeting planner I stayed in this hotel, on business, for one night in September. The hotel is clean and bright and the room was fine, the furniture and decor was a litte old fashioned, but it was not worn or dirty. The room service food was pretty dire, but I didn't arrive until late, so I probably had something heated up. The staff were helpful and friendly, although it take take a long time to check-out. In terms of location, the hotel is ideally located across the road from Old Trafford and the Trafford Centre is a 10 minute drive away if that. I would stay again, but I do think it is slightly over-priced. In-room: fast speed internet, tea and coffee facilities, ironing and ironing board, toiletries.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Clymping
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I stayed at the Tulip for one night on business.

I was not impressed by the guy who checked me in as when he tried to sell me breakfast - my rate did not include it - I asked if there would be soya milk available and you would think I had just insulted his mother! I took that as a no soya milk!

There is a small lounge area around reception. I didn't sit here at all but it looks quite cosy and when I came back from dinner it was buzzing with people having a drink and tapping away on laptops.

My room was clean, reasonably sized and the bed was fantastic - I can't remember ever sleeping so well in a hotel!

Room had all the usual stuff, coffee making, TV, hairdryer etc. All good. Bathroom was nice, funny shaped shower but good for people with
big bottoms! Only thing I didn't like is that the sink is not in the bathroom but in the bedroom, and the plus is one of those difficult to find levers.

I did buy breakfast as the location of this hotel is great for evening meals (Trafford Centre over the way has 101 different restaurants) but rubbish for breakfast as the shopping centre doesn't
open until 10, so as a person who can't function without breakfast, you are kind of stuck with the hotel one.

Breakfast was the usual - no soya milk! Perfectly acceptable selection other than that. My only complaint is the coffee. Restaurant was totally self service, so no one comes over with the coffee, you have to go to a maching that claims to be Dowe Egberts, which led me to think it would be semi decent - it was evil - tasted like cheap instant. I am a person who needs a decent cup of coffee so I was not amused!

The lady who checked me out was lovely and helpful, total contrast to
the night before.

Coffee and rude check in man aside, this was a pleasant stay.

Regarding places to eat an evening meal, I went to Giraffe in the Trafford Centre. This is 'world' chain restaurant. I felt totally comfortable eating there alone as well.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank winter-st*r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trafford
Hotel Football Old Trafford
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - TRAFFORDCITY
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Travelodge Manchester Trafford Park
Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Emirates Old Trafford

Been to Premier Inn Manchester Old Trafford Hotel? Share your experiences!