“Hidden Gem”

The Old Hall Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in the property in June, though have been avoiding feedback that I thought may be tainted by the encounter I had with their dog.
I've decided that it really is too good a place to miss and anyone who loves a host that looks after your every need should try it out.
On arrival I received a scone with jam and tea, which was very unexpected, and with it being 9pm, very much appreciated.
The room I had booked was actually taken, though an apology was given, and I must say the thought of having to leave my room to use the bathroom was a little mad, but I then saw the bath, which was fantastic, so quickly decided any future visits would mean I'd have to have this particular room. The bed was super comfy, with a huge thick duvet, and super quiet. Breakfast was cooked to order, and again was exceptional, quite a grand room for just me though, it might have been nice to see others there. The building is old and full of character, low door frames, wonky walls, beautiful grounds that I never knew existed and I drove past it at least once a week. My suggestion would be to stay well away from what appears to be a lovely dog, well it was when it's owner was there. On leaving I went to stroke the dog as it seemed to be wagging it's tail as if it wanted a stroke, it then lunged at my face, leaving marks, making me bleed, and had to visit the hospital later that evening after work as it was sore, for which I was given antibiotics, so please stay away from the dog.

Room Tip: If you love a deep roll top bath, don't pick the en suite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank muncher5
There are newer reviews for The Old Hall Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed March 10, 2012

on arrival we were offered tea and scones by the very friendly hostess. We were taken to our room but disappointed to find it was very cold. The central heating did not come on until 6.00p.m. although there was an electric fire which could be used. The room was large and clean with a very comfy bed and pillows. There is a nice lounge area which is shared between the two rooms and breakfast was also served in here. The breakfast was large and very tasty with plenty of toast and coffee. The house is set back off the road down a long driveway and through fields, very dark at night but a torch is supplied. We visited the villiage pub and had a few games of poole and a meal one night which was very good. The down side for us was having to walk through the families lounge area inorder to reach our room. It felt intrusive of an evening when they were watching the television, although the family certainly did not seem to feel this

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Its very rare I choose to give something an excellent rating but this property was simply excellent. From the cheery welcome on arrival to the service afterwards there was nothing I could really flaw. The room newly decorated was comfortable, clean with plenty of space, the shower and bathroom area was spotlessly clean and I enjoyed a nice warm shower or two.

Dinner was served in the lounge, it was home cooking and I was given a menu in advance to allow me to pick as everything is home grow and cooked, the meal was excellent and was on par with some of the best restaurants I have been into.

I would certainly come back again without hesitation and would recommend it for anyone.

Only one minor niggle and it was the broadband, I always choose somewhere with broadband but the wifi signal is very weak, I still managed to connect but lost signal quite frequently, this trivial criticism is the only thing I can think off.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank agilchrist
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed at Bosworth Hall last night an it was absolutely wonderful. The service was second to none, food amazing and such a beautiful old building!

The rooms were clean, comfortable and included all the modern comforts. I will definitely be staying again!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed for one night in mid Sept 2011 for dinner and breakfast - The Old Hall is mid-way between London and Leeds (2 hours each way).

Well tucked back from the road, approaching through picturesque private parkland populated with sheep we found the Old Hall every bit as beautiful as the photo with its old stain glass windows promised. Carolyn, her family and Fin the dog offer a very warm welcome. There are two bedrooms which share a lounge. The little touches mark it out as excellent rather than just comfortable: towel dressing gowns, a fascinating house history, full length mirror and a sumptuous king-size bed.

Dinner and breakfast was served in the grand family dining room, amid oil paintings, silver salvers and family photos. Dinner was excellent (we had the home-made mushroom soup, Chicken livers and Beef Bourguignon) so too the breakfast which was locally sourced, generous and cooked to order.

But beware - it is quiet and dark at night. And the fact that the stairs creak and there is a small risk of a power cut (torches provided!) all add to the charm. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club
Greyhound Coaching Inn
Greyhound Coaching Inn
#2 of 2 in Lutterworth

Been to The Old Hall Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!