“Avoid completely for an overnight stay”
Review of Gordon Arms Hotel

Gordon Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Huntly
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Admittedly I booked my accommodation late however I was extremely disappointed by my room. I can safely say that this was the dirtiest room I have ever stayed in. When I arrived I had huge difficulty with the lock on the door and then the room itself was completely out of date with a very old - not very well fitted carpet. I pointed out to staff cobwebs on the windows. In the bathroom there were hairs on the sink and the place felt cold and covered in dust. The bed itself was appalling. The mattress was akin to sleeping on a hammock and there were marks on the white sheets. The staff member advised that it was one of their budget rooms but agreed that the cleanliness was unacceptable. The shower was not somewhere you would want to stay long and while breakfast was ok it was hard to eat given the knowledge of the level of hygiene maintained in areas of the hotel that could be seen. Really really disappointed. Some rooms should not be sold to the public regardless of whether they are budget accommodation (which I had not requested). I have stayed in cleaner hostels. The staff were nice but it far from made up from my worst stay ever in a hotel...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Dee3917
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

While I think these comments are over the top and the member of staff did not make the comments attributed to her , the review as posted did make us have a good look at the room.
The result was that we brought forward the maintenance schedule and closed the room for a week to completely redecorate, replace the bed and TV hence the reason for a late reply.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The accommodation was very good at a very reasonable price. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was exceptional - with special praise for the Smoked Haddock Filo Crowns, the Pan-fried Venison and the Cheese board which made up the best meal I have had in a long time, as good as our local Michelin starred restaurant.
Alistair R.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Excellent entertainment and themed food. Highly recommended for a good night out. The staff were professional and we were made to feel very welcome. Looking forward to the next one. Paul Elvis act was excellent, close your eyes and you could be listening to the real thing.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed September 7, 2013

we stayed at the Gordon Arms for 2 nights as we could not get in anywhere nearer to where we wanted to be because of an oil convention. The hotel looked good on the outside and the staff were friendly. The room and bathroom were large but both were very tired. The pillows were very old and lumpy. The toilet seat kept sliding left and right when you sat on it and the shower curtain rail was obviously broken in the middle but had been stuck together with brown tape and was broken at the wall with 2 screws half hanging out. We only had breakfast one day and the sausages were of the cheaper variety (we are in the meat industry). I would say for £90 a night it is very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

First off I agree that the room would be overpriced in normal circumstances as this is not our standard tariff. The only reason we charge more during the oil convention is because guests tend not to eat with us as they are travelling to Aberdeen each day and we lose revenue. Our regular guests tend to avoid the area at this time.
We had damage the previous week when a guest pulled down the shower curtain. This is being fixed at the time of writing.
We have not had any comments re pillows but as a result of your comments these will be checked.
The sausages are standard catering sausages. We buy most of our meat locally but when we used butcher sausages we found that they were being left on the plate so switched back to the ones we use now.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

After more than 10 hours of driving we couldn't find anywhere to stay. But they did have a room spare. I suppose with such short notice and they were full. We were given what I would call one of their spare rooms. It was clean but very tight for space. The bed was what I would call, had its day. The land lady was very pleasant and helped us out. It was a Shane really as I think with a few tweaks it could make rather a grand place. Never less we had somewhere to sleep..

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your comments. The bed in this room is due for replacement but as a result of the comments we have brought this date forward for immediate replacement.
As with other prior reviews this is a budget room and we have to work within the space constraints of a historic building. Larger rooms are available.
Disappointed however that while the room was "clean" we were only given one point for cleanliness.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Was not impressed with this hotel at all. No-one on reception, had to ring bell umpteen times then go to the kitchen to call on someone!! The rooms were tiny, no space to move in, toilet in a cupboard literally and the shower was the most awful thing I've ever seen, mould all up the tiles, very off putting. Dust on the TV that I could have written my name in. Very very dated decor, needs upgrading and I know it's only a 2 star but at £58 a room....for that, not impressed. Looked out onto a broken roof, lovely view! Didn't go for breakfast as I was put off by the room so much so didn't trust what I might get at breakfast.

My aunt & uncle who are 89 & 90 were next to us and they actually had a very large family room which looked ok, pity they were not all like this. Only bad point for them, there is no lift and they had 2 flights of stairs to go up at their age which wasn't the best.

Did the job I suppose to lay my head on and at least the bed linen was clean....bonus, but our whole family were staying there for a family wedding and they complained as they were staying 2 nights and they got money off I think. Did the job but only just. Only good point is it is dead central in Huntly and they should try and capitalise on this to improve things and take on board reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for family room, as much larger
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

A number of points have arisen here, firstly as with all hotels of our size we do dot have a dedicated receptionist. There is a sign at the reception desk to contact a member of staff in the lounge when the desk is not attended. This is what happened but unfortunately the member of staff was collecting items from the kitchen at that precise time.
Dust on the TV is not acceptable and I accept this.
We do take on board reviews and we renovate shower rooms and bedrooms annually at the end of season.
Of the number of guests attending the same wedding reception this guest was the only one not to have breakfast. We received compliments from other guests for the quality of the breakfast at check out.
Reference is made to the different types of rooms and this is pointed out at the time of reservation. The point is well made that for a modest increase in tariff a standard room can be booked.
I am not aware of any similarly rated hotels in this area who have ground floor bedrooms and if we are made aware of any problems with stairs due to infirmity or age we point this out.
As for the view, we are town centre and while some of our rooms look on to the square or hills behind others such as this look into neighbouring properties over which we have no control.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having read some of the reviews of the Gordon Arms on TA you may be forgiven for thinking it was somewhere to avoid. It all depends on your needs and what you consider to be value for money. Some of the reviewers seem to be confusing the old place with Amoral, from what I can see. A bit rickety and far from salubrious, perhaps, but the Gordon Arms when we stayed was clean, comfortable and welcoming. As a business traveler I also found £53 per night for a very large double room to be excellent value.

True, the sashes on the window were long gone and it was held aloft with a wooden wedge to provide some ventilation on a warm summer evening; but hey, I aint above adjusting the air conditioning by shifting a lump of wood. If you are, stay elsewhere! But if you are on business and working to a budget, you will struggle to find anywhere better or more pleasant in this area for the kind of money we paid. If you do stay, prepare yourself for the heartiest of breakfasts; kindly and jovial staff; and a decent night's kip in a quintessentially Scottish town, far from the madding crowd.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntly
Castle Hotel Huntly
#1 of 5 in Inverurie
Strathburn Hotel
Strathburn Hotel
#2 of 5 in Inverurie

Been to Gordon Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!